Vijay Shankar is a bright prospect

I have watched Vijay Shankar bat in that T20i against Bangladesh where he choked and presented wonderful opportunity to Karthik to become a hero; Karthik grabbed that opportunity which Shankar provided.

Since then i have watched Shankar bat only once in ODI and he did bat very well. From whatever i have watched, he seems to be a better than average fielder as of now.

So i am in no position to comment on how he bats. He looked like hack who could not even get bat on ball in one match and in other he batted like he was seeing cricket ball like a football.

Hence, I can only comment strategically. We would be better off if one or more of our batsmen who bat in top 6 can bowl 3 to 4 overs. I think he can give us 4 good overs when he is having a good day. The other point i would like to make is that he being 28 can be an option for next ODI WC.

10 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

I have watched Vijay Shankar bat in that T20i against Bangladesh where he choked and presented wonderful opportunity to Karthik to become a hero; Karthik grabbed that opportunity which Shankar provided. 

Since then i have watched Shankar bat only once in ODI and he did bat very well. From whatever i have watched, he seems to be a better than average fielder as of now. 

So i am in no position to comment on how he bats. He looked like hack who could not even get bat on ball in one match and in other he batted like he was seeing cricket ball like a football.

Hence, I can only comment strategically. We would be better off if one or more of our batsmen who bat in top 6 can bowl 3 to 4 overs. I think he can give us 4 good overs when he is having a good day. The other point i would like to make is that he being 28 can be an option for next ODI WC. 

By next world cup he may be 32, hardly retirement age. Dhawan and Rohit will be 33 and 32 at the time of this WC.

19 minutes ago, Forever Indian said:

By next world cup he may be 32, hardly retirement age. Dhawan and Rohit will be 33 and 32 at the time of this WC.

32 is very much fine. The only consideration being though would obviously be how he performs in the major part of matches that he plays in next 3-4 years. Hope he grabs the chances.

Whisper it softly and I know I am jumping the gun, but I see a potential captaincy candidate in Shankar in ODIs. Kohli the test skipper is too valuable and it is only fair he gets cut loose of some of the burden, I don't see Shankar in our T20 team. That leaves ODIs open and I do believe he can own the #4/#5 spot.

The character he has shown in bouncing back post Nidahas, today in the final over, his demeanor all suggest he can be skipper one day. By 2023 WC, Rohit/Dhawan/Jadhav will be past it and best to relieve Kohli of some burden. Always risky to have a bowler as captain and that's not our culture, Pant/Pandya/Gill/Shaw/Iyer etc appear the fun/raw types. I think Shankar has captained his state team in some capacity..so obviously his leadership potential has been identified. 

Edited by Gollum
4 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Whisper it softly and I know I am jumping the gun, but I see a potential captaincy candidate in Shankar in ODIs. Kohli the test skipper is too valuable and it is only fair he gets cut loose of some of the burden, I don't see Shankar in our T20 team. That leaves ODIs open and I do believe he can own the #4/#5 spot. 

The character he has shown in bouncing back post Nidahas, today in the final over, his demeanor all suggest he can be skipper one day. By 2023 WC, Rohit/Dhawan/Jadhav will be past it and best to relieve Kohli off some burden. Always risky to have a bowler as captain and that's not our culture, Pant/Pandya/Gill/Shaw/Iyer etc appear the fun types. I think Shankar has captained his state team in some capacity..so obviously his leadership potential has been identified. 

Captaincy is jumping the gun at this point as he still needs to establish himself.

But he did lead Tamilnadu to Vijay Hazare Trophy and the Deodhar Trophy titles in 2016-17 season.

10 minutes ago, Forever Indian said:

Captaincy is jumping the gun at this point as he still needs to establish himself.

But he did lead Tamilnadu to Vijay Hazare Trophy and the Deodhar Trophy titles in 2016-17 season.

I know I am jumping the gun but have to keep potential prospects in mind as we move forward. Every captain has a shelf life and I believe it is best if Kohli sticks to only test captaincy post the WC...otherwise he may burn out, anyway he is a poor short format captain. BCCI needs to make a call soon and they shouldn't pick someone who may be in decline by the time 2022-23 season comes, hence thought of Shankar. Perfect time to take over maybe in a couple of years after he cements his spot. Just a thought. 

If he has led his state to titles, that backs my intuition. Good good...

Edited by Gollum

One thing i liked about him he is a proper batsman. Watch his elbow. It is high and guides his bat precisely where he wants to play. Not hacking like Pandey does with his dog peeing style or looking clueless against good fast bowling like Rayudu does. Only one thing i have to see is his ability against short balls. So far nobody has tested. Would love to see that once.

44 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

One thing i liked about him he is a proper batsman. Watch his elbow. It is high and guides his bat precisely where he wants to play. Not hacking like Pandey does with his dog peeing style or looking clueless against good fast bowling like Rayudu does. Only one thing i have to see is his ability against short balls. So far nobody has tested. Would love to see that once.

Saw it on NZ-A tour he is very comfortable , that NZ-A attack had pace n quality 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
3 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

And today's lofted shots were much more elegant than the sloggy, out of shape ones he is forced to play in T20s - definitely not for T20s.

As for playing pace, he looked comfortable playing Loki

Edited by flamy

I strongly believe in having 6 proper batsmen in tests but if team management really wants an all-rounder then better to go with vijay shankar than pandya. Much better batsman than pandya technically and can easily score daddy hundreds in tests.

Bowling wise pandya has more pace but if it is overcast and swinging conditions i think shankar will be more or less equal.l think we should start preparing him for the next SENA tour

1 hour ago, R.D forever said:

I strongly believe in having 6 proper batsmen in tests but if team management really wants an all-rounder then better to go with vijay shankar than pandya. Much better batsman than pandya technically and can easily score daddy hundreds in tests.

Bowling wise pandya has more pace but if it is overcast and swinging conditions i think shankar will be more or less equal.l think we should start preparing him for the next SENA tour

Shankar is NOT your fifth bowler.. Stop comparing him with Hardik..

He is a proper batsman who can bowl a few overs..

7 minutes ago, SRT100 said:

Shankar + Jedhav make 1 bowler of 10 overs.

Ideally if one of them is bowling well it takes the heat of the 4 other bowlers. (Bumrah, Shami, Kuldeep,Chalal).

There are days both might click. Having a 6th bowler as an option is always good. Going in with 5 bowlers with one of them being part timer is way too risky.