Surf Excel Holi ad

Stradlater

@Alam_dar

No one forces Muslims to partake in Holi. That is some misconception that you hold.

In my opinion, the festival of Holi is today a lot more pan India than it was earlier. More and more people associate it with an occasion to enjoy and religious symbolism takes a back seat. And it isn't necessarily an exclusively Hindu only thing. People across faiths participate in the festivities.

On topic: I don't think the ad here shows Hindus as intolerant or in bad light. Those are kids playing holi. Like @Clarke I find it cute.

Edited by Mariyam

11 hours ago, Alam_dar said:

Ok, good if you are doubtful about it. 

I really liked, rather loved it. 

Inspired by a True Story. 

It is a beautiful add with message of Love and Respect. 

I am an atheist, but I go to Church and Gurdwara and pay my respects (didn't get the chance to go to a Mandir yet, but surely will grab the chance as soon as I get). 

Please see, it may be possible that intention of these people are true and they really want to spread the message of love and respect. It may be they made a mistake in making, but ignore it if you believe in their true intentions. 

The problem is these ads only show one side of story.

Why Ashok becomes Ahmad at the goat market ahead of Eid

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/delhi/why-ashok-becomes-ahmad-at-the-goat-market-ahead-of-eid/articleshow/65494870.cms

6 hours ago, Mariyam said:

These aren't festivals.

And HUL, iirc, have had ads on family planning (pro bono). It was a subplot in their ads for Aviance.

Since Unilever is in the business of spreading social msgs, ads on anything will do, not just festivals

8 hours ago, Singh bling said:

The problem is these ads only show one side of story.

For me, there are 2 side of the story in all of these adds.

It is difficult for others to comprehend, but I can understand better while I have a Muslim background (and very religious one) and I know very well what is going in a religious Muslim mind. 

Please do understand that these adds are super insult for the Extremist Religious Muslims. Much more insult for the Muslim side as compared to the Hindu side.

(1) According to Islamic Sharia, making idols who are worshipped as gods, or even pictures which are considered sacred is an act of SHIRK, and such Muslims is considered no more in the fold of Islam, but he himself becomes a Mushrik. 

Mullahs are preaching this to all Muslims. 

Thus, when in add it is shown that a Muslim is making idols and selling them, then it is considered an extreme insult to the religion of Islam, which is punishable with death penalty in Islamic System

(2) Same is about the colours of Holi and participating in any type of non-Muslim festivals. It is HARAM in Islamic Sharia. 

Therefore, when the girl told the boy that they will play holi after the prayer, and the boy agreed, then again it is a serious breach of an Islamic Law and an insult to Sharia. 

In Western Countries, Mullahs are everywhere telling the Muslims to not let their children participate in any Christmas events.

According to the Hadith of Prophet: "One who imitate the Kafirs, he will become one of them" (Ref: Sunnan Abu Dawud). 

Therefore, both of these adds are many folds insulting for the Islamic Sharia for extremist religious Muslims, as compared to the Hindu side, as they are giving a message to the Muslims to become secular, and to respect other religions and to participate in their festivals, while the original Islamic Sharia demands you to have hatred against all other religions in your hearts. 

While Hindu religion is much more secular, and I don't see any real insult for Hindu religion in these adds. 

Bhai. Holi means Mastee. There is Mastee in every mind. older you get, You loose that mastee. Proportinal to your age.

So young kids play Holi for a week, While old men play it for less than an hour.

Some time, Come out of religious ghetto. It helps

Edited by mishra

17 hours ago, Mariyam said:

These aren't festivals.

And HUL, iirc, have had ads on family planning (pro bono). It was a subplot in their ads for Aviance.

Then lets give out a message without subtlety that Muslims take their elders to Haj or Ajmer and abandon there, when there are no hard facts of that happening en-masse. Or don't sacrifice animals painfully during Bakrid in front of kids, it is a traumatic experience for them.

The point is about being cute and subtly professing a biased message. Subtlety gaya tel bechne in the Kumbh ad. The Hindu man is deliberately losing his father and gets a lesson in the end. 

Kids don't have an agenda , they play Holi for fun. I would have shown how big hearted the Muslim parents are, by telling their kid, "aaj Holi ke din, " akele" masjid jaane kizaroorat nahin,  ghar mein hi namaz karo aaj, aur jaake doston ke saath khelo".  That would be cute.

It's always Hindus who are shown as close minded losers (like the one buying Ganesha idol), while Muslims are the open minded, bade dilwaale, schools the Hindus. I think they consult Shahid Afridi for these ads. Look at how subtly they are showing Hindu man is the closed minded one. His wife thoda better but the hijab clad lady is so open minded offering chai ..but the hindu gets a lesson in the end. Bhai wah!

Are we reading too much into these ads? Maybe so, but the pattern of these ads from the same company is very clear. Especially, when they have also claimed proudly here..

https://www.afaqs.com/news/story/54575_Brooke-Bond-Red-Label-tells-a-father-son-tale-with-a-twist-in-its-recent-campaign

Edited by coffee_rules

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

Then lets give out a message without subtlety that Muslims take their elders to Haj or Ajmer and abandon there, when there are no hard facts of that happening en-masse. Or don't sacrifice animals painfully during Bakrid in front of kids, it is a traumatic experience for them.

There is absolutely no problem in doing so if really old people are abandoned at Ajmer or at Hajj. But it should be done to bring the wrong doing in the light. 

But question is, why should only this tea company has to do it?

It is same when I used to show Muslims evils in the Quran and the Hadith, then they were demanding me to show the evils in bible and all other religions too, otherwise they were not ready to give me the right to criticized the wrong doings of Quran and Hadith only.

This tea company is not working as official partner in Ajmer or at Hajj. But it is working in Kumbh Mela and knows the situation well in this festival. Therefore, it is absolutely ok if they show the problems in Kumb Mela only, without doing all the research on Hajj and Ajmer first. 

The point is about being cute and subtly professing a biased message. Subtlety gaya tel bechne in the Kumbh ad. The Hindu man is deliberately losing his father and gets a lesson in the end. 

I believe that problem in Kumbh does not exist subtly, but young people are indeed deliberately leaving their old parents or uncles there. There is no problem in showing the truth. And there is no condition to show the wrong things at other places of other communities too. 

It's always Hindus who are shown as close minded losers (like the one buying Ganesha idol), while Muslims are the open minded, bade dilwaale, schools the Hindus. I think they consult Shahid Afridi for these ads. Look at how subtly they are showing Hindu man is the closed minded one. His wife thoda better but the hijab clad lady is so open minded offering chai ..but the hindu gets a lesson in the end. Bhai wah!

I believe is it not like this. 

The perception about Hindus is already this that they are more Secular and Open.

But Muslims men with beards and Muslim women in Burqa have very bad reputation of being extremists and distance should be kept with them, and not to trust them ....

This add (and the one about the idols making) are conveying the message according to the situation of society i.e. not to automatically assume that all Muslim men with beards and all Muslim women with Burqas are terrorists and to keep distance with them. 

Are we reading too much into these ads? Maybe so, but the pattern of these ads from the same company is very clear. Especially, when they have also claimed proudly here..

https://www.afaqs.com/news/story/54575_Brooke-Bond-Red-Label-tells-a-father-son-tale-with-a-twist-in-its-recent-campaign

I personally believe that the add makers have GOOD intentions. They have no reasons to make the majority angry. Secondly, different people look at things at different angles. It is almost impossible to make every one happy, while they are looking at things from different angle.