Hindi Imposition and it's implications: News, Updates & Discussion

Lannister

15 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

Your state rights do not trump my national rights. It is my choice what i will do in Bengaluru, whether its bring Bong culture or Hindi culture. Its a free country and no amount of dravidian-giri will change that. It is my choice. 

Will the Mallu's choice to eat beef be respected in the North Indian states?

26 minutes ago, Vilander said:

Only the two are not against each other. Feeling strongly toward kannada nation is not againt Indian union. Kannada is an Indian official language, equal in eminence to Bengali or Marathi or Hindi.

My point is, you said while Kannadigas are loyal to India, the kannada nation is paramount. There is no Kananda nation. Or Tamil, Mallu, Telegu, Bong, Hindi, etc. nations. There is only ONE nation and that is India. Anything that challenges the paramountcy of Indian nation, should be crushed into dust. 

2 hours ago, GautiMaan said:

Will the Mallu's choice to eat beef be respected in the North Indian states?

The Constitution which gives Freedom clearly says choice shouldn't step on fellow citizens foot. So if there is a legal licensed abettoir, And beef is bought from that, why not?

But hacking a calf in street or home should and must face full force of law.

^ BTW, Its not just about beef. Choice of beef or pork simply puts religious overtures and sounds more like a agenda.

Liquor is also banned in many states and there are provisions who and how it can be acquired and consumed in those states.

4 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

Any ideology that says a state is paramount more than the nation deserves to be uprooted, root and stem. Time to bring the insular south into reality. You are part of India, nothing else matters. 

Any North Indian will tell you that one can get by with hindi in Karnataka but not in Tamil Nadu

20 hours ago, Gollum said:

Exceptions.

Should be taught to masses.

My maternal great great grandfather was a Sanskrit scholar associated with Kanchi Mutt. Apparently he taught Yajurveda to Mahaperivar (Jagadguru Chandrashekharendra Saraswati), since the student is supposed to bow to the teacher and Mahaperivar was prophesied as an enlightened soul at a young age he wasn't supposed to bow to my mgggrandfather who was elder to him. So they used to place a screen between the teacher and the disciple so that both never saw each other, only hear and speak. Sorry to bore you with the anecdote. Next generation was headmaster of a veda paatshala, my grandfather still had mastery over both Sanskrit and Tamil, my mother lost touch with Sanskrit (and in Tamil qualitatively speaking) and now myself a big zero in both Sanskrit and Tamil...Tamil ok I can manage to hold my ground (can't read/write sadly, will learn it one day) but Sanskrit LOL no clue. This is how we lose touch over language, forget our roots. All easy to blame Nehru or invaders but what have we done to preserve the language? My parents and myself are to blame here, so many summer vacations and Durga Puja holidays wasted away idling around :((

Don't blame your family, we have to adapt to the system we are put in, it is impossible to change the system while being inside it. The reason why we have lost touch with our cultural roots is that we had to adapt to the modern industrial society which had it's foundations in enlightenment era Europe. If you observe, the ancient chinese and indian understanding of science was quite different from the western understanding, so the technology, economics knowledge and even the government systems we follow today has it's roots in post medieval era europe. And it's impossible to borrow so many things from european society without embracing it's culture. Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming western society here, just stating facts.

You may say that China managed to dodge European influence, but are they in touch with their cultural past? They have replaced it with the cruel communist ideology.

P.S.: And communism ka baap was Karl Marx. So there you go..

Edited by MechEng

6 hours ago, mishra said:

The Constitution which gives Freedom clearly says choice shouldn't step on fellow citizens foot. So if there is a legal licensed abettoir, And beef is bought from that, why not?

But hacking a calf in street or home should and must face full force of law.

20 out of 29 states in India currently have various laws regulating act of slaughtered cow, prohibiting the slaughter or sale of cows. Kerala, Goa, Assam, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Telangana, Arunachal Pradesh, Mizoram, Meghalaya, Nagaland and Tripura are the states where there are no restrictions on cow slaughter.

So entire North India has cow slaughter ban.  So if someone slaughter cow or eat beef, he can be booked and that wont be because of lack of freedom but because of the law.  

Edited by rkt.india

Imposing or not. It is essential to learn Hindi if we want to succeed in business and merge into the larger Indian community. Don't worry our mother tongue won't be destroyed by learning an extra language. The hindi belt is largely populous and a huge market. It's just a matter of cashing in or we will be left behind. 

22 minutes ago, Detonator said:

Imposing or not. It is essential to learn Hindi if we want to succeed in business and merge into the larger Indian community. Don't worry our mother tongue won't be destroyed by learning an extra language. The hindi belt is largely populous and a huge market. It's just a matter of cashing in or we will be left behind. 

That's not the issue, imposition is on those poor people who have no means to learn a new language go to a bank or p.o and see forms only in Hindi / English and when asked for help, gets yelled back to learn Hindi as it is India. That kind of condescending attitude is seen when we have a lot of migrant officers moving around all of India and expect that everybody knows Hindi. So, for the same reasons of market capture and growth it makes sense to learn a local language esp when you go and haggle vegetable prices in local market. 

On 5/29/2019 at 12:11 PM, FischerTal said:

iss thread main hum sirf shuddh Hindi bhasha likhne ka prayas karenge. jisko aapatti hon iss paristhiti se woh ganga mein snan karne ki puri taiyaari kare, dhanyavad. 

If u have Hindi as one of the languages on sign boards after their Tamil language, then even that is Hindi imposing for them. Bhai Mere  to muh se bas gali hi nikalti hai inn good for nothing attention w***** ke liye. 

On 5/29/2019 at 1:49 PM, Gollum said:

Why not Tamil then, as old as Sanskrit and still flourishing not just in India but Lanka, Singapore, Malaysia, South Africa. If you can bow down before Sanskrit, you should have no problem doing the same before Tamil, a far more resilient language.

PS: Not supporting the candidature of either of those 2, English all the way. 

Honest unbiased assessmnet.

Tamil has substantial prose and poetry and has a modern surviving version and is live. Sanskrit sounds much more powerful mystic, will serve to unite the whole Hindu state and since it gives a path to most of the indo european languages it is more easy for Indians to subscribe to it. Tamil is not universally acceptable for all Indians. Telugu is somewhat more modern replacement of Tamil, it is the most recent of southern languages.  Sanskrit is more preferable but all are absurd choices. English it is or Hindi if might is right. But South will fight it hard we have to be prepared for protracted struggle before everyone complies.

12 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

My point is, you said while Kannadigas are loyal to India, the kannada nation is paramount. There is no Kananda nation. Or Tamil, Mallu, Telegu, Bong, Hindi, etc. nations. There is only ONE nation and that is India. Anything that challenges the paramountcy of Indian nation, should be crushed into dust. 

Agreed but why is giving importance to Kannada or Tamil or Bengali anti Indian and why is Hindi fully Indian? Why is majoritarianism acceptable here. Disappointed in you.

2 minutes ago, Vilander said:

Agreed but why is giving importance to Kannada or Tamil or Bengali anti Indian and why is Hindi fully Indian? Why is majoritarianism acceptable here. Disappointed in you.

it isn't. I am not as troubled by hindi speakers ( though i am, when hindi is imposed) because as a hindi bordering state, we are not as sheltered as you southies are and we know that a few million biharis won't uproot our culture. 

I am simply addressing the point that to some state identity is paramount, more than Indian identity. that needs to be dealt with. 

2 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

it isn't. I am not as troubled by hindi speakers ( though i am, when hindi is imposed) because as a hindi bordering state, we are not as sheltered as you southies are and we know that a few million biharis won't uproot our culture. 

I am simply addressing the point that to some state identity is paramount, more than Indian identity. that needs to be dealt with. 

There is a Kannada cultural state in the Indian dominion state. They are both supplemental, there is nothing wrong in Kannada Pride while feeling Indian. Unless somebody talks sedition, we are ok. 

1 hour ago, Muloghonto said:

I have felt the same at different points in my life about Tamil and Kannada chauvenists and now feel the same about Hindi chauvinism. No place in India for any of it. People shall choose what language they want to speak and what they want to use cant be changed or imposed.

10 minutes ago, Vilander said:

I have felt the same at different points in my life about Tamil and Kannada chauvenists and now feel the same about Hindi chauvinism. No place in India for any of it. People shall choose what language they want to speak and what they want to use cant be changed or imposed.

there is a nuance to this hindi chauvinism that other chauvinisms (tamil, Kannada, etc) do not have : Hindi is the most spoken language, by far. Makes up the mother tongue of 40-45% Indians and is spoken by something like 60-70% Indians at least. No other language comes within 30% the distance of Hindi in either category. 

So while Hindi chauvinism has to be kept in check, Hindi also has to be given its dues - it is *the* dominant native tongue of Indian people and it will have bigger exposure than the other regional languages. That is the only way for regional languages to survive and also be fair to Hindi speakers. We who border the Hindi belt have accepted this, the South needs to accept this as well. 

Over time, your streets will have more hindi spoken as the hindi belt moves around more, people are more keen to learn Hindi than any non-English or non-mother tongue language of theirs in most cases. 

3 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

there is a nuance to this hindi chauvinism that other chauvinisms (tamil, Kannada, etc) do not have : Hindi is the most spoken language, by far. Makes up the mother tongue of 40-45% Indians and is spoken by something like 60-70% Indians at least. No other language comes within 30% the distance of Hindi in either category. 

So while Hindi chauvinism has to be kept in check, Hindi also has to be given its dues - it is *the* dominant native tongue of Indian people and it will have bigger exposure than the other regional languages. That is the only way for regional languages to survive and also be fair to Hindi speakers. We who border the Hindi belt have accepted this, the South needs to accept this as well. 

Over time, your streets will have more hindi spoken as the hindi belt moves around more, people are more keen to learn Hindi than any non-English or non-mother tongue language of theirs in most cases. 

Will be a bitter pill to swallow for some 

and hurt their fragile egos to see the dominance of their native language dilute over a period of time and Hindi making inroads in their cities,  like it has in Kolkata and Mumbai. 

1 hour ago, Muloghonto said:

there is a nuance to this hindi chauvinism that other chauvinisms (tamil, Kannada, etc) do not have

incorrect absolutely disagree. No space for any chauvinism in egalitarian society, everyone is equal. sorry this is not in accordance with Indian constitution.

1 hour ago, rageaddict said:

Will be a bitter pill to swallow for some 

and hurt their fragile egos to see the dominance of their native language dilute over a period of time and Hindi making inroads in their cities,  like it has in Kolkata and Mumbai. 

indias diversity is its strength it has to be embraced and not allowed to wilt in petty regional squabble, Hindi chauvinism needs to be checked, if scores of north indians immigrate to every Indian city so be it they can organically increase Hindi being spoken but this process can not forced on unwilling local population.

8 minutes ago, Vilander said:

incorrect absolutely disagree. No space for any chauvinism in egalitarian society, everyone is equal. sorry this is not in accordance with Indian constitution.

Did you even read the rest of it ?

My point to the nuance is, what the sheltered, pu$$y dravidian ideology peddling southies see as 'chauvinism', in 90% of the cases, is due to hindi being a bigger spoken language and having greater outreach than their own languages. Ie, its not chauvinism, but demographic dominance.