Rishabh Pant is too hackish to succeed consistently at this level.

10 minutes ago, asterix said:

Nobody’s asking Pant getting dropped and not give him time. Unfortunately in WC only 2 matches maximum remaining... He can take all his time to improve in any bilateral series. There’s not much time left here and he needs to quickly adapt, which means cut out early hoiks, not try cross batted shots early on and try to take some singles before launching on his hoiks...

No, you are wrong. He needs to play his shots with better shot selection and keep the runs flow.  Dhoni is already doing what you are saying. His 40 ball 48 the other day in middle overs is better than a 65-70 ball 50.

6 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

No, you are wrong. He needs to play his shots with better shot selection and keep the runs flow.  Dhoni is already doing what you are saying. His 40 ball 48 the other day in middle overs is better than a 65-70 ball 50.

That’s what we are saying. He need not to play risky shots even if the other batsman is already scoring fast.

We all are saying to cut out hoiks first up, when the scoring rate is already high..,

Anyway, if he gets out hoiking when Kohli is at the other end then so be it... Who are we to advice him.. :dontknow:

Edited by asterix
Probably the third time i have watched him bat and every single time i have seen him play a slog a ball for barely a 100 strike rate.
Very un-indian batsman in that he is certainly not easy on the eyes and just makes hitting look difficult as opposed to effortless.
Just my opinion. Thoughts ?
Watch 150+ innings against Australia in Australia....your opnion will change..

Moreover, if Dhoni can succeed, anyone in the world can succeed...technique is little overrated...

Moreover, he will not be playing as pure batsmen for India...

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, veer said:

Pointing is his Delhi's coach.. if we play against Australia in Final, he will be a walking wicket... Can't believe some past cricketers are calling him quality batsman.. 

Poor batsman don't score test hundreds in England and Australia. Technique is not everything. 

4 hours ago, beetle said:

Pant probably has the most difficult job as a cricketer.

He is constantly compared to dhoni and has to fight against the dhoni PR which is a ruthless monster .

He is a wktkeeper batsman having to play as a pure batsman but compared to a wktkeeper batsman.

When dhoni was new...he had zero pressure on him and had a team of seniors who supported him.

Pant has to play with so much pressure and has the seniors who see him as an enemy to their pet dhoni .

It is difficult to be Pant in the Indian team.

Those seniors are rather Dhoni's pet,i dont think there is any one in the planet who can tame dhonis PR machinery (monster)

Edited by Suhaan
4 hours ago, mishra said:

^ Thats not correct. Dhoni started winning the game quite early and placed him as match finisher.

Rohit Kohli Dhawan/Rahul trio are better match winners than a odi team which had Rahul Laxman in top order

You think two overseas centuries in two sena tours  and a record for catches is not game winning  behaviour?

5 hours ago, mishra said:

^ Thats not correct. Dhoni started winning the game quite early and placed him as match finisher.

Rohit Kohli Dhawan/Rahul trio are better match winners than a odi team which had Rahul Laxman in top order

Then pant is definitely a test match winner and soon will be odi one

15 hours ago, beetle said:

You think two overseas centuries in two sena tours  and a record for catches is not game winning  behaviour?

But still onus to win the games with bat is on them 3. No one is expecting Pant to win games. Atleast, I an not. So unlike various experts, I won’t get my knickers twisted if he plays as keeper and goes cheaply.

On 7/7/2019 at 2:35 AM, asterix said:

Nobody’s asking Pant getting dropped and not give him time. Unfortunately in WC only 2 matches maximum remaining... He can take all his time to improve in any bilateral series. There’s not much time left here and he needs to quickly adapt, which means cut out early hoiks, not try cross batted shots early on and try to take some singles before launching on his hoiks...

He is playing all our reamaining games, 100%. Would you rather that he plays ultra cautiously like KL? I say give him the freedom to explode. A quick fire 40 like the one against BD shoudl be considered a success, imo. MSD is not retiring before the WC. So comparing the two right now is pointless. 

21 hours ago, beetle said:

Pant probably has the most difficult job as a cricketer.

He is constantly compared to dhoni and has to fight against the dhoni PR which is a ruthless monster .

He is a wicketkeeper batsman having to play as a pure batsman but compared to a wicketkeeper batsman.

When dhoni was new...he had zero pressure on him and had a team of seniors who supported him.

Pant has to play with so much pressure and has the seniors who see him as an enemy to their pet dhoni .

It is difficult to be Pant in the Indian team.

Filling DHONI's shoes in ODI's is next to impossible....

Lets be honest here...DHONI is the best finisher world has seen.....He is compared to M. Bevan which is a huge compliment by itself. Remember, MSD is playing as wicket-keeper batsmen..

But pant has already surpassed him as Test cricketer....He got a test hundred in England and Australia which MSD couldn't do it ......

MSD has scored only 6 test hundreds in his whole career....Pant need only 4 more...which could happen in an year or so....it happens even quickly, if it matches are in sub-continent conditions...

This guy is the future star...in Gilchrist mode...(Not in terms of technique or shot making but in terms of impact on the game)

37 minutes ago, Pandya_Power said:

He is playing all our reamaining games, 100%. Would you rather that he plays ultra cautiously like KL? I say give him the freedom to explode. A quick fire 40 like the one against BD shoudl be considered a success, imo. MSD is not retiring before the WC. So comparing the two right now is pointless. 

No I too want him to start hoiking from first ball only...  because Kohli at the other end does too much Tuk Tuk, I agree with you that Pant should start hoiking from the first ball itself... He shouldn’t watch his other players/WKs like Carey etc do... he’s should play his own game... I’m pretty sure Carey himself must’ve been motivated by Pants hoiking from the first ball onwards...

Edited by asterix
On 7/1/2019 at 5:39 PM, ShoonyaSifar said:

Dhoni could not hit an international 100 outside Asia in his entire career of 15 years. Pant scored 2 int’l 100s  in first 6 months of his career.

BTW Pant has batted in a grand total of 5 ODI innings so far, scored 125 runs@25

Dhoni after 4 innings had 22 runs@7, highest of 12. His then captain had the foresight to see what he can do and sent him at 3.

Pant’s captain and vice captain mock him as they have to protect  their 38 yr over the hill ‘mentor’.

I agree with you but 100 on dead oval pitch without pressure is not something to belittle Dhoni on. Dhoni batted with maturity in test cricket especially abroad, shepherding the tail. When our entire team was collapsing to swing in England, Mahi was making 50s with his home made approach. He also had 90s, one was at Lord's when rain came into the equation and India 9 down. That 224 at Chennai by Dhoni remains one of the best innings by an India wicket keeper. Dhoni allowed himself the freedom there he had shown in ODI cricket - one of the best ever finishers whether you need to attack or defend. 

Pant has a long way to go but is promising, you can't compare them in tests yet let alone ODIs.

Pant has ability to win the game on his own.. but worryingly he also has capability to lose the match on his own wrt to his brainless hoicking.. but one thing is for sure he is batting one or two place ahead of his most appropriate position.. ideally he should bat at 5 or 6 complimenting pandya in death overs.. with no proper 4 batsman in team, pant needs to carry a saner head over his shoulder.. the way he gets out leaves a very bad taste in the mouth.