Michael Vaughan concludes Steve Smith is a better test batsmen than Sachin !!!

velu

3 hours ago, velu said:

which one ? there are few .. 

but none is comparable to the effects of smithy

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/35320.html?class=1;template=results;type=batting;view=series

look at all the series in your list between 96 to 2000 which you have mentioned he was the lone warrior and india was hardly playing any 5 match series like aus get so definitely you ll not aee 400 or 500 score series. After 2000 he has dravid and laxman to accompanied and india started getting long series also.

6 hours ago, Cricspin said:

That's a personal opinion from an English player during an Ashes moment. Lot of different players get this specific comment from ex-players when they are doing amazingly well. 

The thing is during the last two decades, when someone has said this is the best guy I have seen .. the immediate comparisons happen with Sachin  and how this guy is better than Sachin .. I don't have to spell out what that means :--D

I remember  few days back they were hyping  cook is better than sachin and ll break sachin runs record and Pakistanis were all jumping  and dancing  like monkeys.  One English  person opinion matter zealch, for them sor andie Murray is greatest ever tennis  player.

it is really senseless to compare 2 batsmen from different  eras based on their plain  averages. Viv Richards averages only 50.23  scoring only some 8540 runs where as  Sachin himself had a phase  between 29 jan 1993 and 14 apr 2011  where he avg:ed 59.35 after scoring 13534 runs  in 258 inns. Based on pure stats Sachin is way better.  But in one-one comparison polls between these 2 , it is Viv who would gather more votes for various reasons.

Just like the above case , in Sachin-Smith  case too lots of factors come into play.   

14 hours ago, Epic said:

Did Tendulkar ever hit an average of 60?  I think came close but didn't touch it.  Unless, you're going to break up his career into multiple sections, I don't think he touched 60?

Remember reading a Cricinfo stat sometime back. In the supposedly peak period of SRT from 1993-2002 he averaged 60+.

Edited by Stan AF

no ..... 'every era batsmen'  has  different sets of challenges and there by 'variations in the basic characteristics of their inns in general'

depending upon  the circumstances they play in. Based on that a  Viv Richards would have scored only 8540 runs @ 50.23  with only 24 100s when compared to  a Sachin who  scored 13534 runs @ 59.35 avg:  with 46 100s but in  polls, Viv would be getting  fair share of votes if not majority. Here we  can see that in every  parameter Viv is far inferior to Sachin  but yet  things do not get done based on pure numbers.

Similar is the case with Sachin-Smith. Sachin played against a lot of 'sub 25'  avg:ing bowlers   with far more pressure of expectations .He was far more attractive to watch. All adds in.