Are Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi discriminated against for being christian?

Manny_Pacquiao

Is raj mata being discriminated against for being christian?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Is raj mata being discriminated against for being christian?

22 hours ago, Manny_Pacquiao said:

If Sonia gandhi wasn't a catholic from italy, would she be taken more seriously as a political voice?

Her son rahul, the crown prince of India (according to the BBC), proclaimed himself a janeudhari brahmin: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/rahul-gandhis-gotra-is-dattatreya-he-is-kashmiri-brahmin-priest/articleshow/66820708.cms

His 'claim' wasn't taken seriously, as his great-grandfather was a muslim (so the story goes), and he eventually shifted his constituency from Amethi, to muslim-majority Wayanad in kerala.

The question i have for you guys:

Is it possible for India to have a non-hindu led political front? Can the congress exist as a credible opposition while its being led by two foreign christians?

How the fck can RaGa's gotra be Dattatreya when his grandfather was a Muslim? BS of the highest order. It's offensive to the Brahmin community.

1 hour ago, Stradlater said:

But it's still kinda offensive to Brahmins that a schmuck of God knows what ancestry is being presented as a janehudhari shuddh pundit. 

What do you mean by 'shuddh' here? 

Edited by Mariyam

23 hours ago, Gollum said:

So discriminated that they were virtually running the govt for 10 years and before that Sonia was key player during Vajpayee era

So discriminated that this was the respect shown towards MMS by tearing an ordinance in a press meet, no apology, nothing

So discriminated that these 2 have been Presidents of INC since 1998 allowing no other candidate or even election List of presidents of the Indian National Congress

C'mon @Gollum. Even you too?.

What has ruling got to do with discrimination?.

Many pan indian voters don't vote because she's a Christian. same applies to rahul. Sure you can say they're corrupt and I'm not going to disagree. But who isn't in the Indian political system. That's an undeniable truth. At best she and him can be only behind the scenes. They will be always branded as Vatican agents. I've seen 100s of posters accusing her of the same in this very own forum.

It's not about honesty or governance. I'm talking about perception here.

While there are a lot of people who look at religion/caste before voting (if you think this is just with Hindus - the joke's on you).. I feel the deserved do get a backing from Indian public if they're good enough.

If Rahul Gandhi made at least some kind of sense, he would be brought into power with a coronation ceremony. Even now if Congress projects some kind of meritocracy and projects a new name they can still win. But they won't and Indian public will continue to unapologetically throw the mother-son duo into the dirt bin like always. 

1 hour ago, Stan AF said:

C'mon @Gollum. Even you too?.

What has ruling got to do with discrimination?.

They ruled because under Sonia's presidency UPA came to power 2x. So how come there was no discrimination in 2004-14 period but discrimination now? We all know who INC's face was in  '04 and '09 elections, certainly not MMS. 

Many pan indian voters don't vote because she's a Christian. same applies to rahul. Sure you can say they're corrupt and I'm not going to disagree. But who isn't in the Indian political system. That's an undeniable truth.

We can only judge based on their election results. Sonia won in Bellari against Sushma Swaraj in the 90s, a Hindu dominated constituency against a leading BJP stalwart. She has always won in Rae Bareili by huge margins, once even by a record margin. Why did the people give her a record victory, her religion wasn't a factor then? During peak Modi wave and Modi+Yogi wave she managed to hold on to her seat comfortably, how? 

Rahul has always won elections except last year in Amethi (because he is a useless politician). Have you ever been to those 2 constituencies? Despite holding power there for so many years why couldn't they develop those places? Coming to Rahul's defeat in Amethi, do you know how many times he visited his constituency in the previous 5 years compared to Irani? He lost to a more hard-working and driven candidate, full stop. 

At best she and him can be only behind the scenes. They will be always branded as Vatican agents. I've seen 100s of posters accusing her of the same in this very own forum.

Maybe Sonia prefers it that way, some people are introverts and work better behind the scenes, remember Kamaraj who twice declined PM post in the 60s? She could have been PM in 2004 but Kalam advised her against doing so. Rahul doesn't work behind the scenes, in fact far better leaders are deliberately kept down to make him shine favorably.

BJP leaders too have been called names, that is the nature of politics. Modi has been called ISI agent by opposition leaders, he was 'Maut Kaa Saudagar' for Sonia, when you enter politics you must be ready to get dirty. Happens even in USA, the so called greatest democracy !!!

It's not about honesty or governance. I'm talking about perception here.

I fail to see religion as a factor here, you can talk about Sonia's foreign origin that's fine. I fail to see how religion becomes a factor when talking about the most powerful lady in India for the last 25 years, for quite some time she was the most powerful person in India.

Edited by Gollum

Andhra is a state which has 85-90% Hindu pop, Hindus there are very religious, it is home to many of our holy shrines. Didn't stop YSR and his son from being CMs, and their family has done mischief to hurt Hindu sentiments in the past, like in Tirumala. There is a bias against Muslims in Indian politics I don't disagree, a definite lack of trust there (often for good reason...sorry but no PCness, and agree it is unfair to many good Muslim candidates). But certainly not in case of other Dharmics or even Parsis, Christians. But of course if some prominent Christians have links with missionary groups or foreign based NGOs, there will be many talking points because those groups have harmed India in the past and don't have good intentions even today. Works the other way as well, there have been court cases calling for RSS' ban and conferences where choicest abuse has been meted out to BJP comparing it with terror orgs....winners don't complain, they just grow a thick skin and fight. 

If Modi's govt and its vote base actually discriminated against Christians CAA would have turned out differently. Christians hardly vote for saffron parties, then why were they included in the act? During Pokhran tests and Kargil conflict who was Vajpayee's Defence Minister? George Fernandes, his undiplomatic thoughts about Sonia are in public domain. 

Edited by Gollum

9 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Andhra is a state which has 85-90% Hindu pop, Hindus there are very religious, it is home to many of our holy shrines. Didn't stop YSR and his son from being CMs,

Yup. This right here seals it even if "Sonia being the de facto PM of the country for a decade being a Christian" doesn't....

Both YSR and Jagan have multiple times allowed for Christian missionaries to operate free handedly in Tirumala. We're talking about Tirumala proper here where the sacred temple is and not the Tirupati town. Now you get the idea...