Top Bowlers averages against Top 4 teams since Jan 2016: Bumrah & Starc worst performers. Boult The best

Lone Wolf

Since 1 Jan 2016

Against Top 4 sides

M Starc

Inns 24

Wkts 38

Avg 35.68

Econ 5.99

Bumrah

Inns 31

Wkts 39

Avg 39.23

Econ 5.33

Boult

Inns 31

Wkts 59

Avg 25.8

Econ 5.26

Rabbada

Inns 30

Wkts 53

Avg 26.66

Econ 5.25

Hazlewood

Inns 21

Wkts 42

Avg 23.73

Econ 4.94

Cummins

Inns 33

Wkts 51

Avg 31.19

Econ 5.32

Amir

Inns 24

Wkts 33

Avg 32.45

Econ 5.23

What's going wrong with them?   Bumrah has flaws with his new ball skill. But Starc too is struggling.  Although he did well in World Cup

These are eye opening stats. Bumrah seems to be more reputation than performance :hmmmm2:. But Bumrah had a pretty good Asia Cup & World cup but obviously due to filter his numbers doesn't look good as he didn't enough wickets against SENA.

Boult & Hazlewood though, match winners :congrats:

4 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

These are eye opening stats. Bumrah seems to be more reputation than performance :hmmmm2:. But Bumrah had a pretty good Asia Cup & World cup but obviously due to filter his numbers doesn't look good as he didn't enough wickets against SENA.

Boult & Hazlewood though, match winners :congrats:

boult n hazelwood are very underrated bowlers 

Had hazelwood bowled on Old aussies track he wud have given a taste of mcgrath to modern batsman , Aussies shud get over these drop and bring those old pithes back ....it wud be best for their cricket

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
1 hour ago, Majestic said:

If Bumrah struggles so much for wicket taking, I am not sure how he will succeed in tests? This is a very bad sign for Indian cricket as there are not many Impressive test level pacers are coming except Siraj and Saini who still are untested overseas.

But Bumrah does average 22.96 in Tests vs the big teams Australia, South Africa, England and New Zealand.

With 55 wickets from 12 tests with a SR of 50.6 and 3 fifers. This is superb against the big boys !

12 tests is not a very small sample size.

Bumrah bowls really attacking lines and lengths in tests ( targeting top of off stump i.e good length channel balls )  but his issue is that he often bowls defensive lines and lengths in ODIs vs the big teams ( back of a length into the body ) 

I have written often enough that if Bumrah bowls his first 5 overs / first spell in ODIs like he does in tests, he would take a lot more wickets in ODIs and we would win more matches.

Edited by express bowling
1 minute ago, express bowling said:

Bumrah bowls really attacking lines and lengths in tests ( targeting top of off stump i.e goid kength channel balls )  but his issue is that he often bowls defensive lines and lengths in ODIs vs the big teams ( back of a length into the body ) 

I have written often enough that if Bumrah bowls his first 5 overs / first spell in ODIs like he does in tests, he would take a lot more wickets in ODIs and we would win more matches.

Do u see him doing anything diff when bowling for MI , i get that feeling that he is looking for new wkts when bowling for MI ...some how not in Indian team 

15 minutes ago, express bowling said:

But Bumrah does average 22.96 in Tests vs the big teams Australia, South Africa, England and New Zealand.

With 55 wickets from 12 tests with a SR of 50.6 and 3 fifers. This is superb against the big boys !

Bumrah bowls really attacking lines and lengths in tests ( targeting top of off stump i.e goid kength channel balls )  but his issue is that he often bowls defensive lines and lengths in ODIs vs the big teams ( back of a length into the body ) 

Yes this is where he needs to get his act right.  India are struggling to take wickets off new ball for a long time.  Even in that WC SF..  Kiwi openers negotiated him easily in first 10 overs in helpful conditions.  Back off length cramping batsman is a very very defensive approach with new ball. 

Bumrah is IPL bowler. I don't think he even played all that much FC cricket. Was fast tracked into the team based on reputation. He hasn't delivered when it matters most at the international stage. Hell, Umesh is better  and actually shows some intensity in key matches unlike this chewt. Basically, you need to know how to suck up to the captain to be permanent part of setup.

2 minutes ago, WC2011INDIA said:

Bumrah is IPL bowler. I don't think he even played all that much FC cricket. Was fast tracked into the team based on reputation. He hasn't delivered when it matters most at the international stage. Hell, Umesh is better  and actually shows some intensity in key matches unlike this chewt. Basically, you need to know how to suck up to the captain to be permanent part of setup.

What? Bumrah wasn't fast tracked. He debuted for Gujarat at 19. He wasn't even good in IPL when he debuted for India at 23. He had close to 100 FC wickets at that time, 3-4 years of FC under his belt. 

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

Bumrah bowls really attacking lines and lengths in tests ( targeting top of off stump i.e good length channel balls )  but his issue is that he often bowls defensive lines and lengths in ODIs vs the big teams ( back of a length into the body ) 

12 games where four games were played in Australia without Smith and Warner? But leave that aside, the real worry is that since he has come up after that injury, he has struggled and looked one-dimensional, we saw in NZ in test series also, he basically struggled for most part of the series except final inning.

The situation hasn't improved any, in ODIs, he has looked mediocre and hopeless and I am afraid the same repeat will be seen in test series in Australia as it was in New Zealand. 

Smith will smash four centuries against him this series and we will lose 4-0 and Bumrah's test average against the so called big boys will get a massive hit. A massive humiliation is waiting for us in a couple of weeks time.

1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Do u see him doing anything diff when bowling for MI , i get that feeling that he is looking for new wkts when bowling for MI ...some how not in Indian team 

It is the same case with Bhuvi too. And now Saini is doing the same.

Makes me wonder whether it is a Team India strategy in the last 4 years to bowl defensive lines and lengths in ODIs against big teams.

I think another issue with Team India is that we cannot differentiate between ODI strategy and T20 strategy these days. In T20s we bat like ODIs and in ODIs we bowl like T20s.

We need some good strategist for our team overall. Lack of thinking ability at the top is becoming too aparent.

4 hours ago, express bowling said:

Makes me wonder whether it is a Team India strategy in the last 4 years to bowl defensive lines and lengths in ODIs against big teams.

I think another issue with Team India is that we cannot differentiate between ODI strategy and T20 strategy these days. In T20s we bat like ODIs and in ODIs we bowl like T20s.

We need some good strategist for our team overall. Lack of thinking ability at the top is becoming too aparent.

They bat same both in odis and t20s as they don't know anything else. It is muscle memory etched in their bodies.  It is too late in their careers to change.They had template which has brought the success but that template has changed now. Kohli or Rohit will never be able go for leather from consistently from ball one. That is not their strength.

Edited by putrevus
5 hours ago, express bowling said:

bhuvi is another strange case, he ll pitch the ball up swing it in test n t20 both but when it comes to ODI he tries to bowls fast n back of length in his initial overs wasting it

5 hours ago, express bowling said:

on field- Off field, future plans they need a team director who wud plan all this like Strauss did it for england

Hesson did a good job with RCB when it came to planning , 1st time they looked balance, others players had role  n with plan....wo baat alag kohlis worked his magic back.

But then again it showed u give someone who can plan well to kohli it will reduce his burden only, dhoni use to do this role only issue was he himself was liabilty and his ideas were same which is what we wanted to get away from 

This is why coach is asked for a roadmap in interview, high time who hired him asked how is it going ? Someone needs to be on these twos head n cut their power