Kohli's absence: Blessing in disguise for India

7 minutes ago, Khota said:

This only proves one point that you cannot have one man doing all three formats. Giving everything to Kohli is a disaster.

The problem is no one has the balls to relieve him of captaincy in 1 or 2 formats. Ideally he should probably only stick to T20:p:

Over the last few years even watching him field or lead in tests has been a royal pain in the ass, he does look like someone who won't step down unless he's dropped from the team - that IMO is the biggest issue right now!

6 minutes ago, R!TTER said:

The problem is no one has the balls to relieve him of captaincy in 1 or 2 formats. Ideally he should probably only stick to T20:p:

Over the last few years even watching him field or lead in tests has been a royal pain in the ass, he does look like someone who won't step down unless he's dropped from the team - that IMO is the biggest issue right now!

He is not the team. Someone should politely ask him to pick one format and the management picks captains for other two formats. Anyone who could get Kumble replaced by Shastri needs to be cut down to size.

8 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Utter nonsense, you cannot take a ATG like Kohli out and think your team has become stronger. SA did the same thing with ABDV  when they won in Australia. Look where has that led to SA.

You misunderstood my point!

Read it again. I said he is India's best batsman presently. He is an automatic selection in the test team.

My point is, AT THE VERY MOMENT, with all the turmoil (Sharma controversy, his paternity leave, 36 a.o, etc ) his captaincy would have been too rigid for the betterment of the team.

This short break will be beneficial in the short term, that is, this particular series.  

10 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Utter nonsense, you cannot take a ATG like Kohli out and think your team has become stronger. SA did the same thing with ABDV  when they won in Australia. Look where has that led to SA.

Further, I personally believe if you are leaving anyway (by the way I support him for his paternity leave), its better to let the stand-in captain to take over for as much time as possible to gel well with the team and plan for tactics and strategies for the whole series. But I get the argument against this point as well, that if Kohli plays, he cannot be accommodated as a batsman as he is too big a player (read his EGO) to play as just a captain.

I think people are going overboard with Kohli hate. We could have had 120+ lead in the first test had that Paine's catch was taken by Agarwal, and would have won the match easily from there on (pretty sure 36 all out would not have happened in that case). Having lost the first test, Australia would have been more motivated to win the second one to make it 1-1. Then the very you would be making threads about "Should BCCI have granted leave for Kohli?". 

1 minute ago, putrevus said:

No captain can defend 36 all out, and we want a guy like Rahane who has scored 12 100s in 65 plus tests to be captain. Are you kidding?You need to earn your place in the team first. Let Rahane do something for whole series for once in his career then we can revisit the issue.

Ok so now drop Rahane and bring in the other better players away from home like Shaw or Sharma or Rahul..... Oh wait :bird:

5 minutes ago, Jamadagni said:

I think people are going overboard with Kohli hate. We could have had 120+ lead in the first test had that Paine's catch was taken by Agarwal, and would have won the match easily from there on (pretty sure 36 all out would not have happened in that case). Having lost the first test, Australia would have been more motivated to win the second one to make it 1-1. Then the very you would be making threads about "Should BCCI have granted leave for Kohli?". 

This has nothing to with hate. It is about equitable distribution of work load.

15 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Look at SA in todays match. Faf is playing as a batsman with QDK the captain.

Imagine Kohli leaving captaincy and letting someone like Gill have it down the line...... Yes, thats what, unimaginable 

3 minutes ago, Jamadagni said:

No one is hating Kohli man..... You are missing the point :facepalm: 

2 minutes ago, Tridibans_16 said:

You misunderstood my point!

Read it again. I said he is India's best batsman presently. He is an automatic selection in the test team.

My point is, AT THE VERY MOMENT, with all the turmoil (Sharma controversy, his paternity leave, 36 a.o, etc ) his captaincy would have been too rigid for the betterment of the team.

This short break will be beneficial in the short term, that is, this particular series.  

36 all out is utterly shameful, Rahane was  part of that 36 allout too and before assessing anything can we wait for some positive result first. Last time I checked India had lead in first innings in last test match also.

1 minute ago, Khota said:

This has nothing to with hate. It is about equitable distribution of work load.

So true....

I don't know where are people finding hate in this..... 

Kohli is not the best Test captain we had. He has done nothing special to be compared with Ponting or Waugh or Smith..... 

As a player, well its a different matter altogether.

Just now, putrevus said:

36 all out is utterly shameful, Rahane was  part of that 36 allout too and before assessing anything can we wait for some positive result first. Last time I checked India had lead in first innings in last test match also.

I know, and we can very well lose this match....

But the point remains, with 2 debutants, Best batsman missing, one of the best opening bowlers injured, we are in this position.

Players perform for their captains apart from obviously their own careers. Why would an youngster like Gill or Pant or Siraj perform for a captain who will whisker away their test positions after 1 or 2 failures?

Just now, putrevus said:

The so called strength the ATG was giving to the side was getting neutralized by his stupid captaincy. That is evident to everyone who has seen the team play without him on multiple occasions. We may still go onto lose this test and get thrashed in the series but I'm glad to see Rahane rising to the challenge.

From now on, on captaincy, TINA will never be an option. The ATG will be shamed into resigning from his post or risk getting sacked if he continues to treat team india as his personal fiefdom.

6 minutes ago, Tridibans_16 said:

So true....

I don't know where are people finding hate in this..... 

Kohli is not the best Test captain we had. He has done nothing special to be compared with Ponting or Waugh or Smith..... 

As a player, well its a different matter altogether.

I love Kohli but I love Indian team more. It is not fair to give responsibility to him for all three formats. You need to develop others. If not you will get a Dhoni like cult following.