Hanuma Vihari has 4 innings to save or cement his career

neel roy

I feel terrible for Vihari.  He is the kind of player that I really want to see succeed.  Seems quiet and unassuming.  He is obviously an above-average talent (you don't get to this level unless you have some talent),  He is a grinder in domestics and came up the ranks, making the team on the back of tons of runs season after season after season and success on A teams.  He batted at 5 or 6 or whatever was asked of him, opened when asked to do so under tough conditions, even wheeled his arm when needed.  He has always fielded at short leg (albeit not very well this series), taking some serious shots from Wade in the first innings on 3 sweeps, but has just kept going uncomplainingly. 

You can see that he's a guy doing his level best to fit in and succeed.  I'll bet he stays up at night wondering how the hell Rohit Sharma - potbelly and chubby cheeks and all - can just lazily pull with no effort for a 6 or just caress a 150-k zinger to cover for 4 time and time again while you are struggling to get bat on ball.  All in all, someone you want to see hold on to his opportunities and shine. 

But man ... from the team's perspective, he just seems to be a drag on this already depleted squad.    He is in a terrible mental space and the $hit keeps piling on him - like Hazlewood's throw, the 2 dropped chances (one a total sitter) etc. etc.  One can't help wonder "why does this crap keep happening to the same guy?

But, the India test team is not the stage for someone to "find" themselves.  I just hope he goes back to the drawing board, clears the cobwebs and redeems himself.  While I like to watch the Rohit Sharmas and Shubman Gills of the world, I also really want to see the underdogs do well.  It gives you a bit of belief that there is justice for everyone - not just the flamboyant ones.  

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

One theory I have heard in cricketing circle is fielding is given least importance in domestic matches. Tonnes of catches dropped some appalling.. nobody dives as grounds are not upto the mark.. the reason why indian fielding has improved is due to ipl exposure. The IPL team hires foreign fielding coaches and for two months there is heavy load on fielding as the owners pay from their pockets and makes sure everyone is upto the mark in fielding.. unfortunately Vihari neither had played domestic and neither he has been picked by an IPL franchise.. 

5 hours ago, neel roy said:

One theory I have heard in cricketing circle is fielding is given least importance in domestic matches. Tonnes of catches dropped some appalling.. nobody dives as grounds are not upto the mark.. the reason why indian fielding has improved is due to ipl exposure. The IPL team hires foreign fielding coaches and for two months there is heavy load on fielding as the owners pay from their pockets and makes sure everyone is upto the mark in fielding.. unfortunately Vihari neither had played domestic and neither he has been picked by an IPL franchise.. 

Great point.  

On 1/6/2021 at 5:05 AM, PunterLog said:

Vihari > KL in the test team.

It'd be extremely unfair to Vihari if he isn't given a full season at home.

This is what I said 5 days back.

Vihari is a test bat. Yes, he hasn't made big runs so far but his technique and attitude are tailor made for tests.

He deserves one full season at Home after this innings.

16 hours ago, Frustrated said:

I just watched the replay of that dropped catch by Vihari.  Off Bumrah.     Really feel for Bumrah.  (He was almost crying)

It was the simplest catch of the series so far. It's criminal to drop sitters like this especially when u , as a top order batsman hv failed consistently.    Kuch to thik kar.   :yousuck:

Chalo.  I take my words back.  Hanuman Ji.  U are a genius.   Well Done.  :two_thumbs_up:.        Kudos also to Ashwin , the Real Scientist.