"Shubman should have scored a ton!" - Gill's father scolds his son

sage

2 minutes ago, sage said:

Do you see Western parents of sportsman saying such things? Definitely a subcontinental attitude

I think western parents will be less visible in media and probably handle interviews better. But privately they will definitely stress about hundreds and medals. Think about it this way, if Shubhman had an easily satisfied father would he have moved to mohali from hometown just so his son can access to better cricket infra from young age? 

3 hours ago, sage said:

Do you see Western parents of sportsman saying such things? Definitely a subcontinental attitude

Western parents are trash parents for the most part. I would rather have the exacting Indian parents than the worst parenting standard of humanity.

Amazon hill tribes are better parents than westerners FYI.

Within all the centuries which Tendulkar scored in ODI’s, it is that 98 which everyone remembers. 

3 figure score or a fifer for a bowler is like a useless birthday recognition. It is just extra add on the important moment/day but it does not have extra significance to an already impactfull 99 runs scored or 4fer by a bowler. 

Gill’s inning laid the foundation. A 131 run knock where the game would have been a draw or India losing would have been really hurting. I will take this 90. Real fans will

judge a player by the impact they had. Yes, I hope in the future he goes on to comvert this into a big score to pulverize the opposition.

1 hour ago, Cricketics said:

Within all the centuries which Tendulkar scored in ODI’s, it is that 98 which everyone remembers.  

3 figure score or a fifer for a bowler is like a useless birthday recognition. It is just extra add on the important moment/day but it does not have extra significance to an already impactfull 99 runs scored or 4fer by a bowler. 

Gill’s inning laid the foundation. A 131 run knock where the game would have been a draw or India losing would have been really hurting. I will take this 90. Real fans will

judge a player by the impact they had. Yes, I hope in the future he goes on to comvert this into a big score to pulverize the opposition.

I still don't get what is the fascination with that 98, it was scored against an ageing attack. Tendulkar player lot better innings than that 98 .

Just now, putrevus said:

I still don't get what is the fascination with that 98, it was scored against an ageing attack. Tendulkar player lot better innings than that 98 .

Wc games are tense, especially against Pakistan and that we were sucking up in that world cup until then. We barely won against Netherland and were mauled by Australia. Also we bad history of faltering chases notwithstanding the natwest final. 

Akhtar wasn’t aging at all. He was at his prime

And remember the crucia part. England, Zimbabwe and Pakistan could have finished ahead of us in that world cup had we lost the game.  

This was one of our first games after Kargil war with Pak. The build up to that game was immense. It was not as much of a tense buildup as it was in 2011 wc, but surely was the most watched game then.

36 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Wc games are tense, especially against Pakistan and that we were sucking up in that world cup until then. We barely won against Netherland and were mauled by Australia. Also we bad history of faltering chases notwithstanding the natwest final. 

Akhtar wasn’t aging at all. He was at his prime

And remember the crucia part. England, Zimbabwe and Pakistan could have finished ahead of us in that world cup had we lost the game.  

This was one of our first games after Kargil war with Pak. The build up to that game was immense. It was not as much of a tense buildup as it was in 2011 wc, but surely was the most watched game then.

It was a super six inconsequential match. Pakistan was out of the tournament.  No we were doing great  except first match against Australia, we won all matches till finals. Akram and Younis retired after that match. Sachin played lot more memorable innings than that one IMO.

7 hours ago, The Great Punjab said:

Centuries make careers.

Pant made a few centuries before this but still had to struggle in his international career. This time he was well short of a century but this one will make him a bigger star in everyone's eyes. 

In contrast... Tendulkar's century in Bangladesh made him a villian in most people's eyes . 

Runs that help the team is what people remember. Centuries are for the media to hype.

Edited by beetle
9 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Yes but Pant's knock will be talked about more.

Just like how Gambhir's 97 was as crucial as Dhoni's finish but Dhoni has been projected as the hero.

Centuries just add that little extra gloss when people look back.

13 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

And therein lies the problem.  

Does it? Milestones are human psychology. Most achievements and milestones in human history has always been individualistic. The people who made the most changes and helped humabity have always been driven individuals than faceless crowds.

Sports is also very much about individuals and heroes no matter what we pretend. There are players like Sreesanth, ishant, Irfan, agarkar who have contributed to some of the finest moments of our cricket, like world cup and CT wins and Perth test wins. Yet no one remembers them as much as sachin or dhoni or Kohli will be remembered. They didnt get a fraction of the fame and fortune and dont get remembered like them 

1 hour ago, beetle said:

Pant made a few centuries before this but still had to struggle in his international career. This time he was well short of a century but this one will make him a bigger star in everyone's eyes. 

In contrast... Tendulkar's century in Bangladesh made him a villian in most people's eyes . 

Runs that help the team is what people remember. Centuries are for the media to hype.

10 hours ago, Cricketics said:

You are talking about the time when sachin was already established as a legend and was judged by different standards. He had to score a ton of 100s to get there. Gill and Pant are not there yet.

When selectors meet over them and with kohli being there, there will be lot more weight when someone says - these guys scored 2 100s each in the last innings vs these guys scored 2 50s in the last innings 

Irfan pathan, ishant, agarkar, sreesanth have given us some of the best moments in internstional cricket, world cup wins, CT wins, overseas tests wins but are they as celebrated as sachin or kohli?

Edited by New guy