How long Shubman Gill will play for India ?

Stuge

How long Shubman Gill will play for India ?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. How long Shubman Gill will play for India ?

• 1-12 months
    • 1-2 years
    • 2-4 years
    • 4-8 years
    • 8 + years

2 hours ago, R!TTER said:

Probably more, he is a generational talent - for me easily better than Kohli at this stage of his career. Would be interesting to see of he can come close to the guy or you know who :cantstop:

Poor guy is going to get a lot of unnecessary limelight due to his would be FIL. Thankfully he's had tons of performances in FC before going public with his relationship, else would always have the tag of nepotism

1 hour ago, sarchasm said:

I see where you are coming from but I hope not. If BCCI and IPL franchises keep getting better at both scouting and nurturing talent, we should have a solid supply of batting talent. What this means is India careers of these batsmen wouldn't be what we have been used to - default decade long stints. More churn, and more batsmen who only spend their batting peak playing for India. 8 years at the very best. We are hurtling forward in that direction already.

The moment a person becomes a big star, lots of corporates and other business entities invest in that brand heavily. Happening even more these days. 

And this " product " becomes very difficult to dislodge.

This has increased even more after the IPL has become a big thing.

On a side note, batsmen are often at their peak from age 27 to 34.  So, 13 or 14 more years from that point of view too.

Edited by express bowling
6 hours ago, sarchasm said:

I see where you are coming from but I hope not. If BCCI and IPL franchises keep getting better at both scouting and nurturing talent, we should have a solid supply of batting talent. What this means is India careers of these batsmen wouldn't be what we have been used to - default decade long stints. More churn, and more batsmen who only spend their batting peak playing for India. 8 years at the very best. We are hurtling forward in that direction already.

Good point.  But assuming he can be fit and productive for 15-17 yrs, it can only be a good thing.  

15 hours ago, sarchasm said:

Not necessarily. Look at NBA. Its scouting and infrastructure is the best in the world and lightyears ahead of BCCI and basketball is way more physical game than cricket. Still Lebron James have been playing it for 18 years and still the best in business. So there is no reason why Gill can’t play for more if he can still maintain his form.

On 1/26/2021 at 3:35 PM, sarchasm said:

Also not right to say basketball is more physical than cricket. It calls for very specific physical attributes but a claim that it's more physically grueling than cricket isn't accurate at all.

Yep.i doubt bballers have the cardio to bat a whole day. Nor can they take hits to the body or face by a cricket ball. 

They could be great bowlers though. Surely that atheltic ability will come in handy there. Imagine the bounce lol.