When will Rohit finally get his dues?

sage

When people tell me they hate Rohit Sharma or (far worse) that they are "not fans", I say to them in no uncertain terms: "I love Rohit. I am in awe of him. I am set free by him. He is the finest batsman our planet has ever seen."

Maybe "I love him" seems too sentimental, too un-pragmatic. Kind of culty. But people say with impunity they love Sachin, the Prime Minister, their wife. In the end, I say it because it's true.

I want to reverse the usual schedule of things. We don't have to wait until he retires to act. Rohit Sharma's name belongs on ships, and airports, and tattoos. He deserves straight-up hagiographies and a sold-out Bollywood blockbuster, after his exploits in the World Cup. Yes, this cultural canonisation is going to come after the chronic, constant, nonstop "but wasted tailunt" hedging around his legacy. But such is the courage of Rohit Sharma and his supporters; we shall reverse the orders. He is more than a cricketer. He is an idea, a world-historical hero, light itself. He belongs to a much more elite class of Indians than former cricketers, the more-than-cricketers. Gandhi, Ambedkar, Chanakya. That is where Rohit Sharma deserves to stand.

Edited by sage

I am a Rohit fan but was very disappointed that he couldn't play a big, impact making innings in the 4 chances that he got. The innings in which he got out to Lyon, he looked so composed and looked all set to get a big one but alas, it was not meant to be. 

39 minutes ago, sage said:

I have a feeling this series vs England will cement his legacy as an ATG opener

He already is one in ODIs. He will be 34 in couple of months, not enough time for him to be at established test opener give WC23 win will be his top priority. 

No improvement in his game against swing .
We have seen Kohli modifying his tactic to counter swing , OTOH this guy thinks that he is gifted enough to play swing and seam without making changes to his batting.
He will fail badly in England and i think that should be the end of his test career.
He is surely an ATG opener in odis and indian cricket fans will never forget his exploits in wc 2019.
Test cricket legends are usually remembered for a long time , cant say the same about odi players.

He shown improvement in Australia with regards to technique however did not cash in.

He needs to be a bit single minded and ruthless until 2023 and focus on India more, less on IPL, he already won 6 IPL'S (5 as captain).

Play until 2023 world cup (age will be 36) and retire gracefully. 

In the coming England series he will need to fire.

The following tournaments are coming up in these 3 years:

2021 Test Championship Final

2021 T20 World Cup

2022 T20 World Cup

2023 Test Championship Final

2023 ODI World Cup

Is he not getting paid? lol...But seriously he has only himself to blame for throwing good starts in the two Tests he played. He looked brilliant at Gabba and after playing that horrendous shot he was arrogant about it as well. I understand he plays that way but two times in this series he got off to starts and got himself out. When you thought the opponent cannot get Rohit out and he looks solid, he plays a ridiculous shot and gets out. He did that in the second innings in Sydney and first innings in Gabba. It is important to make those starts count as you can easily get a ball like he got in the second innings. He is a legend in LOIs but even though he scores loads on runs in India in Tests, he needs to start scoring big overseas.

It took him 5 years to establish himself in ODI team as a regular but unfortunately he does not have that much time now. The series in England might be his last straw, so he needs to make sure he can make that series count. That will be his ultimate test. I am not worried about the home Tests, he is going to smash couple of big scores against England.

Ok on a serious note, it was Rohit attitude when he played that shot that sent IcF into meltdown but that fearless attitude is what helped Sundar/Thakur and Pant to play fearless cricket. There is a thin line between being brave and reckless. Rohit’s shot may have come across as reckless but that moment right there inspired the team to play fearless cricket and go for the impossible win.