Joe Root will beat Tendulkar's record : Geoff Boycott

Sgattick10

13 hours ago, putrevus said:

Are you kidding me, where did I say Cook was equal or better batsman than Sachin. All I said Cook had a chance to beat Sachin's record  of 200 tests but unlike Sachin who was selfish for those records, Cook did not care about those records and retired at 33 years old.He could easily played 200 plus tests.

Saying Sachin was selfish for his own useless records is not bashing him. Indian superstars always have overstayed their usefulness ,Kapil Dev denied Srinath a chance to play more in quest of another useless record of 433.

Cook retired because he wasn't doing well, not because he was unselfish.

13 hours ago, putrevus said:

Indian superstars always have overstayed their usefulness ,Kapil Dev denied Srinath a chance to play more in quest of another useless record of 433.

can you explain this. from scorecards I can see kapil and srinath played together in 12 matches

Two points:-

1. You have to be a minimum ATG batsman to break Tendulkar's runs tally record.

2. You have to be either a GOAT batsman from India and Australia or an ATG from England batsman.

And 'England' and 'ATG' haven't really coincided since Ian Botham in 80s. 

3 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Cook retired because he wasn't doing well, not because he was unselfish.

Who said that, he had terrible two years in 2013 and 2014 too.He always had updown career. He was even thinking of making a comeback,  It is not like England had great replacments ready for him.

5 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Two points:-

1. You have to be a minimum ATG batsman to break Tendulkar's runs tally record.

2. You have to be either a GOAT batsman from India and Australia or an ATG from England batsman.

And 'England' and 'ATG' haven't really coincided since Ian Botham in 80s. 

Cook is certainly an ATG by England standards..  33 Test tons as an opener is no Joke

1 hour ago, putrevus said:

Who said that, he had terrible two years in 2013 and 2014 too.He always had updown career. He was even thinking of making a comeback,  It is not like England had great replacments ready for him.

It is not about replacements, Cook's scoring abilities had taken a nosedive since 2013 Ashes. His final average may seem acceptable for particular calender year, but if you break it down, one will notice he hardly played any impactful innings which had proved to be series defining. For example, He scored over 360 Runs in Ashes '17-18 which looks very good but that included 244 runs in 1 inning, Apart from that, he hardly scored in other 8 (or 9) innings. He scored total 23 runs across the 4 innings in their tour to NZ (famous 58 allout), this was the time when people were asking for his replacement. In 2018, he scored 516 runs at an average of 28 that included 218 runs against us in his last test. Even if he wanted to play on reputation, He would not have been able to play 200 test matches. His average already had taken a dip by then.

Edited by Bigg Brother
On 27/01/2021 at 8:47 PM, putrevus said:

Are you kidding me, where did I say Cook was equal or better batsman than Sachin. All I said Cook had a chance to beat Sachin's record  of 200 tests but unlike Sachin who was selfish for those records, Cook did not care about those records and retired at 33 years old.He could easily played 200 plus tests.

Saying Sachin was selfish for his own useless records is not bashing him. Indian superstars always have overstayed their usefulness ,Kapil Dev denied Srinath a chance to play more in quest of another useless record of 433.

Even if he had played 200+ tests, he wouldn't have broke those runs records. 

On 1/27/2021 at 8:47 PM, putrevus said:

Saying Sachin was selfish for his o useless records is not bashing him. Indian superstars always have overstayed their usefulness ,Kapil Dev denied Srinath a chance to play more in quest of another useless record of 433.

So cook who had 2 bad years was not selfish, but sachin who just had one and a half bad years before retiring (he played only 6 tests jn 2013) was selfish and playing for useless records? Just before that one and half years, sachin averaged 55, 48, 68, 78 and 48 in consecutive years. Then he played one more full year in 2012 and retired in mid 2013

Ponting had a string of 7 years where he averaged over 45 just once (over 40 just twice out of 7 years)and never averaged over 50. Yet he is not selfish. Compare to sachin who averaged over 45 in 5 out of 6.5 years and had peaks of 55,  68 and 78 averaging years (including against bowlers like steyn overseas and being instrumental in our team reaching no 1 ranking, beating NZ in NZ for first time, drawing in SA for first time in our history) in those years. If sachin had retired before that, we would never get those wins and no 1 ranking 

Sachin had 1 100 and 2 50s in the year he retired and averaged 35. Cook averaged 28

I will never understand why some indians are such self loathers and sucks up,  they will always put down their own players and big up other country players. At least when its between dhoni and pant  its between two indian players. But i will never understand the penchant for putting down our own legends to big up other country's players. It just shows an inferiority complex 

Edited by New guy
2 hours ago, New guy said:

So cook who had 2 bad years was not selfish, but sachin who just had one and a half bad years before retiring (he played only 6 tests jn 2013) was selfish and playing for useless records? Just before that one and half years, sachin averaged 55, 48, 68, 78 and 48. Then he played one more full year in 2012 and retired in mid 2013

Ponting had a string of 7 years where he averaged over 45 just once (over 40 just twice out of 7 years)and never averaged over 50. Yet he is not selfish. Compare to sachin who averaged over 45 in 5 out of 7 and had peaks of 55,  68 and 78 averaging years (including against bowlers like steyn overseas and being instrumentel in our team reaching no 1 ranking, beating NZ in NZ for first time, drawing in SA for first time in our history) in those years. If sachin had retired before that, we would never get those wins and no 1 ranking 

Sachin had 1 100 and 2 50s in the year he retired and averaged 35. Cook averaged 28

I will never understand why some indians are such self loathers and sucks up,  they will always put down their own players and big up other country players. At least when its between dhoni and pant  its between two indian players. But i will never understand the penchant for putting down our own legends to big up other country's players. It just shows an inferiority complex 

Always said this before. India s are sychophants. Not all but most. They love to suck up to foreigners for some ungodly reason. 

They love to be people pelasers. Pathetic colonial mentality. I despise such people. 

We might not like it but Just stating some facts. 

Cook retired as 10th best test batsman at the time and his highest rating is 902. 

Sachin don't know what his rating was at retirement but highest was 882 ? And was 26 all time greatest test batsman. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/2009/jan/15/sachin-tendulkar-icc-rankings

So yeah some might say cook had a better all time rating vs Sachin would be entirely factual. Cant change it. 

7 hours ago, Vilander said:

Cook retired as 10th best test batsman at the time and his highest rating is 902. 

Sachin don't know what his rating was at retirement but highest was 882 ? And was 26 all time greatest test batsman. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/2009/jan/15/sachin-tendulkar-icc-rankings

So yeah some might say cook had a better all time rating vs Sachin would be entirely factual. Cant change it. 

Going by those stats,

Cook

ABD

KP

Amla

Clarke

YK

Yousuf

All will be better than SRT.

10 hours ago, Vilander said:

So using your logic, If a player has highest rating of 990 in one year and then averages below 10 for next 10 year, he is the greatest batsman of all time and better than someone who had highest rating over 850 for 11 years? Do you understand the difference between highest peak of one year and consistent performance over 20 years?

do you also understand how constantly playing 5 match test series and more tests might help cook more than someone like Sachin, who at his peak, mostly had to pay 2 match or max 3 match test series?

Edited by New guy
3 hours ago, Majestic said:

Going by those stats,

Cook

ABD

KP

Amla

Clarke

YK

Yousuf

All will be better than SRT.

They had better peak years than SRT and mostly because at his peak Sachin played 2 and 3 test series, instead of 4-5 match series like Aussies and Englishmen did

Edited by New guy
On 1/31/2021 at 11:07 PM, Vilander said:

Finished on 639, ranked 18th in the world.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/rankings/mens/player-rankings/97

4 hours ago, sage said:

Finished on 639, ranked 18th in the world.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/rankings/mens/player-rankings/97

4 hours ago, sage said:

Cook retired at 709, ranked 10th in the world.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/rankings/mens/player-rankings/899

both great obv Sachin greater. But Sachin did prolong his career further from this evidence. But i would say they both were good enough till the day they retired. 

Edited by Vilander