Mar 14 - 15 2001. Unforgettable. India's 2nd best performance ever.**

22 minutes ago, MultiB48 said:

steel spikes helps with the grip while running but you can feel stuck at the crease while facing balls whereas rubber soles are better while batting but can slip while running specially if you end up running on the grass on the side of the pitch.

Layered on top of that is a player's comfort level - "the feel of it" - and, to some extent, superstition.      

12 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

This is the greatest given that India bowled out for low scores 3 times in a row prior to that. This was the last recognized batting pair at the crease up against stalwarts of the game with 16 streak win under their belt.

For me 2020-21 - playing against the best, most relentless pace attack with a highly depleted side which produced brave, classy newbie-knocks and top-class bowling, especially in Brisbane - pips this one.   

3 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

For me 2020-21 - playing against the best, most relentless pace attack with a highly depleted side which produced brave, classy newbie-knocks and top-class bowling, especially in Brisbane - pips this one.   

One difference was India had already won a test and drawn a test against this Australian side coming into the final test. So from a confidence perspective India was in good shape. Australian batting was down in the dumps with an exception of Labu/Smithy. 

The stadium was so noisy that I had to scream everything to my uncle and cousin who were seated next to me. Sachin as usual received the biggest applause when he came in. After he got out the disappointment was palpable. The crowd really quieted down for a while.

Ganguly was out of form and the people were dismissive of his chances of getting a decent score. He did not get a warm reception but as soon as he got a couple of boundaries, he was Royal Bengal Tiger( according to the crowd) again. There was a time when the Aussies had all fielders on the off side against him with the leg side fully unmanned. 

Among the downsides there was one rowdy guy who threw a 25 paisa coin( I knew it was 25 paisa because he shouted it out himself in Bangla while throwing) at McGrath which actually hit him. He cast a glance back but that was the end of it. 

There were other guys with cameras who were asking Waugh/McGrath for a backward glance to take pics. They were happy to oblige.