Which ICC Trophy disappointment hurt most since 2013?

Had a bad feeling that we may not reach knock out for the next 3 ICC TROPHIES.

WT20 2022 AUS - A team full of oldies, no settled positions or clarity of roles, no dynamics.

WTC 2023 ENG- A very slim chance of reaching the final now after overseas defeats against SA and ENG

ODI WC 2023 - too far away but can see almost the same team that played in 2019

In the following order:

1) WTC Final 2021

2) WT20 Final 2014

3) Champions Trophy Final 2017

4) World Cup Semi Final 2019

5) WT20 Semi Final 2016

6) World Cup Semi Final 2015

7) WT20 Group Stage 2021

I believe winning WTC final would have been icing on the cake, there would be no doubt that India is the best Test side in the world, upto end 2021 I still thought they were.

I believe final losses are more painful as you are so close yet so far therefore I have put final losses higher in the list.

I don't know why but the 2015 WC semi finals hurt me a lot .

The CT finals was disgusting ,Mainly because it was on my birthday but I was In a different zone that day and couldnt watch most of the match.

Rest I didn't care or the losses were on the card/Understandable.

CT isn't that big a tournament, so even though we lost the final to Pakistan it won't come near the top. An absolutely pathetic WI side won 2004 CT ahead of GOAT Aus, elite RSA, Ind, Pak etc., that tournament win doesn't mean much since it isn't the most prestigious title in ODI format. And it was proved in 2 years time when Pak didn't even qualify to the WC SF, there the 10 team round robin really separated the wheat from the chaff. 

If I have to rank from most disappointing to meh

1. WTC F, another loss against NZ, most prestigious format, much much harder to fluke a test win, and we lost despite 3 days of rain, all we had to do was bat for another hour or so to share the trophy (guarantee KW would have played it safe). Losing that final after the high of 2020-21 Aus tour, tough pill to swallow. We were the best team in the world then, and NZ made it to final only because of luck and smart scheduling (avoiding BD tour citing Covid excuse, historically a tough opponent for them, even a drawn test match would have pushed Aus to the second spot).

2. 2014 WT20 F, most winnable out of them all, really started our downward slide in ICC events. Worst captaincy day for Dhoni who sent an out of sorts Yuvi above red hot Raina, also his field setting was so so poor. No business losing to that mediocre Lankan side after playing so well till that point. 

3. 2019 WC SF, wrong tactics, bizarre selection and batting order, usual top order choke. 50 overs WC has a unique charm, huge missed opportunity after topping the league stage. But I guess we deserved it because of the way we planned in the 2017-19 period. 

4. 2017 CT F, mainly because it came against Pakistan, also the manner of defeat, by 180 runs (doubt GOAT WI/Aus can defeat Toygers by such a margin in a final, hypothetically), staggering. Total mental checkout in no small way influenced by Kohli's cold war with coach Kumble. And Kohli's post match giggling fits, embarrassing. Can't understand many things about that match, like going with 2 spinners and dropping Umesh who terrorized them in the group game, winning toss and chasing in Oval on a cloudless day with no dew expected, that too against the then most poor chasing side in the world, that too after beating them comprehensively in the group game batting first.

5. 2016 WT20 SF, expected result more or less...IIRC that WI side had Sammy batting at #9, crazy T20 hitting side. No way was 190 odd enough on Wankhede patta (worst possible venue for us against sides like WI, Eng) with all that dew. Rahane screwed us royally with his useless 40(35) but in hindsight even 230-240 wasn't enough in that game because of the playing conditions and strengths of our opponent. Despite the noballs and dropped catch, IMO they were overblown by our delusional fans and media. Moreover we didn't play well that whole tournament, Kohli basically carried that team till SF, we were lucky to be in SF after the fluke win over Bangla in a must win game. 

6. 2015 WC SF, no way were we beating that Aus side especially the way they were playing at that time. A year later we toured Aus against a depleted side and still lost 1-4. For those conditions Aus had all bases covered and players like Faulkner, Starc, Johnson peaked for them at the right time, also the KO GOAT Smith. Even ATG Ind with addition of Sachin, Kapil, Yuvi would have struggled in that SF. In those conditions and the form they were in, plus home venue and their mental toughness, only an ATG side could have stopped them, and we weren't even close to being like that. Most  NID WC since 2007.

7. T20 WC 2021, by then I had lost much interest in cricket, Anyway we were simply not good enough, our group exit was well deserved. Out of tune with modern T20 approach, nice reality check. 

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

CT isn't that big a tournament, so even though we lost the final to Pakistan it won't come near the top. An absolutely pathetic WI side won 2004 CT ahead of GOAT Aus, elite RSA, Ind, Pak etc., that tournament win doesn't mean much since it isn't the most prestigious title in ODI format. And it was proved in 2 years time when Pak didn't even qualify to the WC SF, there the 10 team round robin really separated the wheat from the chaff. 

1. WTC F, another loss against NZ, most prestigious format, much much harder to fluke a test win, and we lost despite 3 days of rain, all we had to do was bat for another hour or so to share the trophy (guarantee KW would have played it safe). Losing that final after the high of 2020-21 Aus tour, tough pill to swallow. We were the best team in the world then, and NZ made it to final only because of luck and smart scheduling (avoiding BD tour citing Covid excuse, historically a tough opponent for them, even a drawn test match would have pushed Aus to the second spot).

2. 2014 WT20 F, most winnable out of them all, really started our downward slide in ICC events. Worst captaincy day for Dhoni who sent an out of sorts Yuvi above red hot Raina, also his field setting was so so poor. No business losing to that mediocre Lankan side after playing so well till that point. 

3. 2019 WC SF, wrong tactics, bizarre selection and batting order, usual top order choke. 50 overs WC has a unique charm, huge missed opportunity after topping the league stage. But I guess we deserved it because of the way we planned in the 2017-19 period. 

4. 2017 CT F, mainly because it came against Pakistan, also the manner of defeat, by 180 runs (doubt GOAT WI/Aus can defeat Toygers by such a margin in a final, hypothetically), staggering. Total mental checkout in no small way influenced by Kohli's cold war with coach Kumble. And Kohli's post match giggling fits, embarrassing. Can't understand many things about that match, like going with 2 spinners and dropping Umesh who terrorized them in the group game, winning toss and chasing in Oval on a cloudless day with no dew expected, that too against the then most poor chasing side in the world, that too after beating them comprehensively in the group game batting first.

5. 2016 WT20 SF, expected result more or less...IIRC that WI side had Sammy batting at #9, crazy T20 hitting side. No way was 190 odd enough on Wankhede patta (worst possible venue for us against sides like WI, Eng) with all that dew. Rahane screwed us royally with his useless 40(35) but in hindsight even 230-240 wasn't enough in that game because of the playing conditions and strengths of our opponent. Despite the noballs and dropped catch, IMO they were overblown by our delusional fans and media. Moreover we didn't play well that whole tournament, Kohli basically carried that team till SF, we were lucky to be in SF after the fluke win over Bangla in a must win game. 

6. 2015 WC SF, no way were we beating that Aus side especially the way they were playing at that time. A year later we toured Aus against a depleted side and still lost 1-4. For those conditions Aus had all bases covered and players like Faulkner, Starc, Johnson peaked for them at the right time, also the KO GOAT Smith. Even ATG Ind with addition of Sachin, Kapil, Yuvi would have struggled in that SF. In those conditions and the form they were in, plus home venue and their mental toughness, only an ATG side could have stopped them, and we weren't even close to being like that. Most  NID WC since 2007.

7. T20 WC 2021, by then I had lost much interest in cricket, Anyway we were simply not good enough, our group exit was well deserved. Out of tune with modern T20 approach, nice reality check. 

1996 and 2003 WCs should rank somewhere in the list too, although we were facing superior teams

On 7/8/2022 at 8:58 AM, Gollum said:

Excellent Analysis!

Disagree with CT 2017 F though. It hurts a lot. We have no business losing to a mediocre Pak team.

Also an ICC trophy is an ICC trophy!

On 11/15/2021 at 5:47 PM, putrevus said:

Why are people so upset with India losing to Pakistan. It was bound to happen, it happened in first match and India still had chances to go to semifinals if they played well but they played like **** and deserved to be kicked out.

True that. Had to happen some day. I got a feeling some infighting and resentment amongst players in that WT20.  Some random selections and Dhoni coming in as mentor. We did ok ok 2015 , 2019 and CT. 2021 WT20 was a disaster.