India: Covid - II

kepler37b

1 hour ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

@I6MTW @kepler37b @Austin 3:!6

This is Correct! 

With pre-Omicron variants, you can consider prior infection as one vaccine dose.

Here is the approximate hierarchy of short-term immunity provided by circulating antibodies (6 months since last vaccine or infection):

(2 doses of vaccine + booster) >

(2 doses of vaccine + infection) >

(2 doses of vaccine) = (1 dose of vaccine + infection) >

(1 dose of vaccine = infection)

Long-term immunity provided by T-cells is quite good with 2 doses of vaccine and much better with booster.  

Much of this short-term protection does not hold for Omicron, but T-cell immunity is still present.  And Omicron is inherently milder.  So, the news is good.

In summary, vaccinated/boosted/prior-infected individuals can rest more easy than others.  But still do the easy things like masking indoors and in crowded areas, and avoid unnecessary travel and gatherings.    

Cheers mate...this is some nice info to have

6 hours ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

I have got similar symptoms. Sore throat, blocked nose and continuous coughing since 31st Dec. Awaiting test result.

Note - I already had 2 vaccines and Booster jab but still...

I hope you feel better soon and get full recovery. Take lot of rest. even spending long time on laptop, video games or TV could be stressful.

Take it easy.   

5 hours ago, ash said:

Is there any reason why boosters are opened only for 60+ now? Surely it is not a supply issue.

I think its due to caution about the booster in general and the fact that we have dependence on different vaccines than what have been used as boosters in the west. The other countries are primarily using mRNA vaccines even for AZ/J&J vaccinated individuals while our current mechanism seems to be using the same vaccine (AZ/Covaxin) as the earlier shots for booster purposes. I would have preferred the Novavax as booster given that its supposed to have milder side effects and had good initial efficacy.

Mumbai has peaked perhaps...2 days back test positivity was 29.9% yesterday it was 28.8%...now anticipating sharp decline, but after 1 week, as once 29% population has suddenly (sharp increase) become positive, they will take 1 week to test negative...