Cricketing Credentials + Commentary Skills: Which Indian analyst/commentator is the best?

maniac

Cricket + Commentry: who is the best?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Cricket + Commentry: who is the best?

• Sunil Gavaskar
    • Ravi Shastri
    • Sanjay Manjrekar
    • DK
    • Saurav Ganguly
    • Ajay Jadeja
    • Others (please specify in post)

Taking into account their ability to provide good analysis + their accomplishments as a cricketer which Indian commentator/ analyst is the best?

For example Murali K, DD Gupta were average cricketers and are average commentators 

Then you have Sanjay Manjrekar or DK who belong in the next tier category as players .Sanjay is articulate but controversial and always has an agenda, DK seems very  good but still early stages.  

Then you have the legends. Laxman is atrocious, Ganguly is boring when he is not talking about himself, Kapil Dev is hilarious for the wrong reasons. 

Is Sunny Gavaskar the best person who fits this profile?

Shastri with a close second.

Sunny is leagues above Shastri as a cricketer, he is also a better analyst. Shastri might be more entertaining.

Any other names that fit this category?

There won’t be too many better than Sunny G on cricketing credentials but is there a decent - very good cricketer who is a great analyst/ commentator in Indian cricket 

Edited by maniac
Just now, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Gavaskar is the most cringe currently- he turns up on the day with no interest , no study or research about new players, cribs like an old uncle 

However when he is assessing  the match situation and strategy and when (keyword) motivated, he is one of the best out there. He is a genius (cricketing wise) for a reason. I do agree he is lame and cringe when he tries

to act funny 

15 minutes ago, maniac said:

However when he is assessing  the match situation and strategy and when (keyword) motivated, he is one of the best out there. He is a genius (cricketing wise) for a reason. I do agree he is lame and cringe when he tries

to act funny 

thats the problem he doesn't even attempt anymore....he just wakes up n keeps commenting for no reasons 

Commentary experience will be a lot better if 

• all of them stop doing dhoni chalisa
  • network get rid of sunny, manju and all those who basically have no idea about modern game
  • get guys like sachin, lara, watson, steyn, lee who discuss cricket and its finer details 
20 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Irfan Pathan takes the cake...  Nobody comes close I reckon.  His analysis on fast bowling is top notch & has great knowledge about modern players & is really up to date. 

good choice. I have only seen in him in analysis setting though not in live commentary. His analysis is spot on.

I thought A.Jadeja was a good analyst too but his commentary sucks.

I have seen Nehra’s analysis on cricbuzz/cricinfo. He is pretty solid but I think hindi commentary is all about being clownish anyway from what I have heard from time to time, so not counting him.

Edited by maniac
11 minutes ago, jf1gp_1 said:

Used to like Aakash but he has become so annoying. Also god knows why he is still going on and on about chahar even now.

Manjrejar is better than Akash Chopra.

Chopra can be biased, Manju you never know he can even criticize Dhoni and Kohli like he did with Sachin but his timing is always crap.

I stand with him on what he said about Jadeja though even though he got owned.

1 hour ago, maniac said:

to act funny 

He shouldn't be allowed to enter t20 comm box atleast,VVS too

1 hour ago, maniac said:

Manjrejar is better than Akash Chopra.

Chopra can be biased, Manju you never know he can even criticize Dhoni and Kohli like he did with Sachin but his timing is always crap.

I stand with him on what he said about Jadeja though even though he got owned.

Manjerakar is like a loose cannon/broken clock,seldolmly right

I don’t listen to Hindi commentary much(may give it an extended run if in the mood) so as far as commentary/analysis in English is concerned “none” as I am usually thinking if there is a way to ban these commentators.

If I have to pick one, DK is probably good but need to hear more from him to pass a judgment. 

11 hours ago, maniac said:

good choice. I have only seen in him in analysis setting though not in live commentary. His analysis is spot on.

I thought A.Jadeja was a good analyst too but his commentary sucks.

I have seen Nehra’s analysis on cricbuzz/cricinfo. He is pretty solid but I think hindi commentary is all about being clownish anyway from what I have heard from time to time, so not counting him.

IMO players should do only analysis and professional commentators should do live commentary, like in the NBA.