Former cricketer Azeem Rafiq apologises for antisemitic comments he says he made in 2011

Former cricketer Azeem Rafiq, who testified about his experiences of being subjected to racism while playing for Yorkshire County Cricket Club (YCCC) before a UK parliamentary panel on Tuesday, has apologised for unspecified comments he says he made in 2011.

Shortly before Rafiq's apology, a screenshot of messages that appeared to involve Rafiq making antisemitic comments ten years ago had been shared.

Rafiq, 30, says he made derogatory comments on social media when he was a teenager and is a "different person today.

"Rafiq tweeted on Thursday: "I was sent an image of this exchange from early 2011 today. I have gone back to check my account and it is me - I have absolutely no excuses.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F4acbbaa4-9ddb-4028-ac22-7dce09824f54

An emotional Azeem Rafiq speaks at a British parliamentary hearing (Twitter)

"I am ashamed of this exchange and have now deleted it so as not to cause further offence. I was 19 at the time and I hope and believe I am a different person today.

"I am incredibly angry at myself and I apologise to the Jewish community and everyone who is rightly offended by this."

An exchange with former Warwickshire and Leicestershire player Ateeq Javid was brought to the former cricketer's attention.

Historical messages with Javid were revealed when the then 19-year-old Rafiq accused a third player of being reluctant to spend money at a team dinner because "he is a Jew".

He added the player would "probs go after my 2nds [second helping of food] again ha", adding: "Only Jews do tht [sic] sort of s--t."

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fd4e52867-5ca3-4f11-b4dc-56f62ab4a692

Azeem Rafiq batting for Yorkshire in 2016. (Getty)

After a turbulent month which has brought to light multiple allegations of racism by former players of YCCC, Rafiq gave evidence on Tuesday, sharing his experience at Yorkshire and broke down in tears on more than one occasion.

"From early on there was a lot of "You lot sit over there near the toilets," the word 'P---' was used constantly, no one ever stamped it out," said Rafiq.

"All I wanted to do was play cricket. Towards the end of my first spell but constantly throughout I knew there was something wrong. I started taking medication for my mental health. It was really tough."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/cricket/cricket-azeem-rafiq-apologises-for-antisemitic-comments-made-in-2011/c89eba9b-c0c4-4624-8235-a59902c6de69

How disgusting are these scummy Pakistani's?

18 minutes ago, SujitPrakash said:

Former cricketer Azeem Rafiq, who testified about his experiences of being subjected to racism while playing for Yorkshire County Cricket Club (YCCC) before a UK parliamentary panel on Tuesday, has apologised for unspecified comments he says he made in 2011.

Shortly before Rafiq's apology, a screenshot of messages that appeared to involve Rafiq making antisemitic comments ten years ago had been shared.

Rafiq, 30, says he made derogatory comments on social media when he was a teenager and is a "different person today.

"Rafiq tweeted on Thursday: "I was sent an image of this exchange from early 2011 today. I have gone back to check my account and it is me - I have absolutely no excuses.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F4acbbaa4-9ddb-4028-ac22-7dce09824f54

An emotional Azeem Rafiq speaks at a British parliamentary hearing (Twitter)

"I am ashamed of this exchange and have now deleted it so as not to cause further offence. I was 19 at the time and I hope and believe I am a different person today.

"I am incredibly angry at myself and I apologise to the Jewish community and everyone who is rightly offended by this."

An exchange with former Warwickshire and Leicestershire player Ateeq Javid was brought to the former cricketer's attention.

Historical messages with Javid were revealed when the then 19-year-old Rafiq accused a third player of being reluctant to spend money at a team dinner because "he is a Jew".

He added the player would "probs go after my 2nds [second helping of food] again ha", adding: "Only Jews do tht [sic] sort of s--t."

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fd4e52867-5ca3-4f11-b4dc-56f62ab4a692

Azeem Rafiq batting for Yorkshire in 2016. (Getty)

After a turbulent month which has brought to light multiple allegations of racism by former players of YCCC, Rafiq gave evidence on Tuesday, sharing his experience at Yorkshire and broke down in tears on more than one occasion.

"From early on there was a lot of "You lot sit over there near the toilets," the word 'P---' was used constantly, no one ever stamped it out," said Rafiq.

"All I wanted to do was play cricket. Towards the end of my first spell but constantly throughout I knew there was something wrong. I started taking medication for my mental health. It was really tough."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/cricket/cricket-azeem-rafiq-apologises-for-antisemitic-comments-made-in-2011/c89eba9b-c0c4-4624-8235-a59902c6de69

How disgusting are these scummy Pakistani's?

Come to Bradford- youll see the full force of how scummy these inbred Mirpuris are who hate people of every colour and religion outside theirs are.

2 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

Come to Bradford- youll see the full force of how scummy these inbred Mirpuris are who hate people of every colour and religion outside theirs are.

These Pakistani scum are quick to point the finger, but when the finger is pointed back they are quick to cry crocodile tears and make up every excuse under the sun.

Edited by SujitPrakash

These Pakistani scum are quick to point the finger, but when the finger is pointed back they are quick to cry crocodile tears and make up every excuse under the sun.

Your brethren bakhts from back home are the most racist online. Absolutely filth they put up. Infact I have experienced racism/anti islamic slurs on this very forum. So look to yourselves first.

4 minutes ago, rangeelaraja said:

I’ve heard Bradford is mini Pakistan inside UK. Is it true ? It is said to be south Asian but actually Bakis are an overwhelming majority 

In terms of absolute numbers its still 55/60% white but they form atleast 30/40% of the population and many inner city areas are actual ghettos which resemble a mini pakistan with mosques and asian shops everywhere

In terms of absolute numbers its still 55/60% white but they form atleast 30/40% of the population and many inner city areas are actual ghettos which resemble a mini pakistan with mosques and asian shops everywhere

There are also Bangladeshi/Indian ‘ghettos’ in the UK. Go to the Midlands and London to see for yourself.

Infact there are ‘ghettos’ in all communities. But obviously your hate for Pakistanis doesn’t let you see this. Hypocrite
7 minutes ago, cric_fan said:

There are also Bangladeshi/Indian ‘ghettos’ in the UK. Go to the Midlands and London to see for yourself.

Infact there are ‘ghettos’ in all communities. But obviously your hate for Pakistanis doesn’t let you see this. Hypocrite

But Leicester and Wembley/Harrow still aren't as scummy as Bradford/Oldham/Blackburn/Rochdale.. etc(should i go on?)

But Leicester and Wembley/Harrow still aren't as scummy as Bradford/Oldham/Blackburn/Rochdale.. etc(should i go on?)

That’s just your view for obvious reasons. Are you going to address tbe racism on this for too or turn a blind eye to it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just now, cric_fan said:

That’s just your view for obvious reasons. Are you going to address tbe racism on this for too or tutn a blind eye to it?

stating a fact and the observation isnt racist- everyone who visits the shithole ghettos of Bradford and greater manchester feel the same its not just me. Maybe they need to learn to live like civilised people for others not to have this view. Food for thought?

stating a fact and the observation isnt racist- everyone who visits the shithole ghettos of Bradford and greater manchester feel the same its not just me. Maybe they need to learn to live like civilised people for others not to have this view. Food for thought?

Yea just ignore the fact that there are racists on this forum

2 hours ago, SujitPrakash said:

Ask there spokesperson @New guy for his reaction who was running riots on other threads. No he ll say dara hua muslman aur bhatka hua muslman.

53 minutes ago, rangeelaraja said:

@Cric Fan

Read the comments from Brits ( comparing Indians to Pak in Brit ) and you will know what the whole world outside of Pak knows about your brethren.

While Indian immigrants are supersmart, progressive and are a MASSIVE asset to any society, a sizable portion of your lot only indulges in extremist religious activities and all sort of crimes. 

This is why Pak is where it is as a country today - ZERO in technology, ZERO in manufacturing ZERO in productivity.

https://www.quora.com/Are-the-British-people-biased-towards-Indians-when-it-comes-to-choosing-between-a-Pakistani-and-an-Indian-If-so-why

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-British-Indians-the-second-richest-people-in-the-UK-while-Pakistanis-in-Britain-are-poorer-than-black-British-people

yes the perception of Hindus/Sikhs is above that of Muslims/Pakistanis over here. i think most British Pakistanis would admit that. Sikhs in particular, with their community spirit and langar are very well perceived.

2 hours ago, raki05 said:

Lol this chutiya was crying racism and now caught pants down. He was a mediocre moname cricketer and did this to blackmail and earn free cash and now playing youngster card for his act. Talk about hypocrisy we don't see @New guy here.

Come on now, there's so much racism & intolerance in the social arena. It is imperative that a few have to devote a lot of time & effort for the sake of justice. We must salute these warriors instead of suggesting that they are hypocritical.