Gulzar

ravishingravi

The discussion on Mani Ratnam made me think of the really top draw artists in Indian cinema. 

I would say in terms of all round talent and versatility, Gulzar saab has to be right there in top draw. 

Top of my head I can think of his directorial ventures - Angoor, Achanak, Aandhi, Maachis, Ijaazat, Koshish, Mausam, Parichay, Mirza Ghalib. 

While everyone concedes pretty much his ability to write tight scripts, great female characters and of course brilliant music, what most don’t point out are his technical skills. His composition and construction of shots was impeccably. You could see how his craftsmanship kept evolving with each film. 

The image of Gulzar in my mind is of this ageless man in white Kurta playing badminton. And he has stayed true to it. The ease in his being transcends through to his direction, lyrics and his beautiful poetry. The man can write something so mischievously perverted as “beedi jalailey” to something so heartbreaking “mera kuch khoya samaan”. 

Also a director not afraid of tackling tough subjects. He took on a subject on Indira Gandhi around the emergency. His Maachis on Punjab terrorism. 

I dare say the greatest all round artist from mainstream Hindi cinema. 

Your favorite films and songs from the great man ? 

Edited by ravishingravi

Absolute Legend. Greatest writer & poet of Indian Cinema. You take Gulzar's work out of Hindi Film Industry, then there is very little to savour. His work had deep meaning and emotions. Much much better than the likes of Javed Akhtar, who have made a living out of ripping of Hollywood scripts and publishing as their own. 

Haven’t watched any Gulzar film in the last few years so difficult to comment from today’s perspective. 

When growing up, we were more into masala entertainers but whenever we wanted something different we put on films like Angoor (remake of Do Dooni Char, which is based on a Bengali film, starring Kishore Kumar, which is good too. Shakespeare!)

Aandhi of course has a couple of evergreen songs which I listen to from time to time. 

Parichay is a version of The Sound of Music. Has songs such as “Musafir hoon yaro”, “Beeti na bithai raina”, … 

Mausam has a mature theme with a good song like “Dil Dhoondta Hai”. It is based on a novel whose name I can’t recall. We had a VHS of this one too but because of its theme did not watch it too often. IIRC, the cover of the VHS was in red.

PS I have an album of R.D Burman somewhere where he remarks that when he worked with Gulzar, magic happened (something to that order). 

Edited by zen

On 11/24/2021 at 8:48 AM, Sean Bradley said:

Absolute Legend. Greatest writer & poet of Indian Cinema. You take Gulzar's work out of Hindi Film Industry, then there is very little to savour. His work had deep meaning and emotions. Much much better than the likes of Javed Akhtar, who have made a living out of ripping of Hollywood scripts and publishing as their own. 

Sahir definitely.

Far more accomplished as a writer and a lyricist.

A legend himself, Gulzar, had a better ensemble of singers and back ground musicians available at his disposal than Sahir.

On 11/23/2021 at 7:06 PM, ravishingravi said:

The discussion on Mani Ratnam made me think of the really top draw artists in Indian cinema. 

I would say in terms of all round talent and versatility, Gulzar saab has to be right there in top draw. 

Top of my head I can think of his directorial ventures - Angoor, Achanak, Aandhi, Maachis, Ijaazat, Koshish, Mausam, Parichay, Mirza Ghalib. 

While everyone concedes pretty much his ability to write tight scripts, great female characters and of course brilliant music, what most don’t point out are his technical skills. His composition and construction of shots was impeccably. You could see how his craftsmanship kept evolving with each film. 

The image of Gulzar in my mind is of this ageless man in white Kurta playing badminton. And he has stayed true to it. The ease in his being transcends through to his direction, lyrics and his beautiful poetry. The man can write something so mischievously perverted as “beedi jalailey” to something so heartbreaking “mera kuch khoya samaan”. 

Also a director not afraid of tackling tough subjects. He took on a subject on Indira Gandhi around the emergency. His Maachis on Punjab terrorism. 

I dare say the greatest all round artist from mainstream Hindi cinema. 

Your favorite films and songs from the great man ? 

His composition Chappa chappa charakhaa chale in movie Maachis is arguably most memorable lyrics of his. Right from word go you one can see Gulzaaf witten everywhere. His pen blessed with goddeess Saraswati. Liten to Maachis song to appreciate how beautifully he puts Indian villagers life

Edited by mishra

8 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Sahir definitely.

A legend himself, Gulzar, had a better ensemble of singers and back ground musicians available at his disposal than Sahir.

Yes Sahir Ludhianvi. The greatest. 

Gulzar is still at the top no doubt.

din kuchh aise guzārtā hai koī

jaise ehsāñ utārtā hai koī

dil meñ kuchh yuuñ sambhāltā huuñ ġham

jaise zevar sambhāltā hai koī

aa.ina dekh kar tasallī huī

ham ko is ghar meñ jāntā hai koī

peḌ par pak gayā hai phal shāyad

phir se patthar uchhāltā hai koī

der se gūñjte haiñ sannāTe

jaise ham ko pukārtā hai

aap ke ba.ad har ghaḌī ham ne

aap ke saath guzārī hai

aa.ina dekh kar tasallī huī

ham ko is ghar meñ jāntā hai koī

shaam se aañkh meñ namī hai

aaj phir aap kamī hai

kabhī to chauñk ke dekhe koī hamārī taraf

kisī aañkh meñ ham ko bhī intizār dikhe

zindagī yuuñ huī basar tanhā

qāfila saath aur safar tanhā

10 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Sahir definitely.

Listen 3 songs, Sandeshe aate hai, Chtitthi aayee hai and then Chod aayen ham vo galiyan- all three is about missing back home. Also you have to come all the way from rural village to get Gulzars level.  But you will find nothing what Gulzar has written anywhere else. The facts and figures of speech is allways new, original in Gulzars lyrics.

”when he said jaa padosi ke chulhe se aag lai le” Not many people know that this was a standard practice in rural India where people couldn’t afford match stick and way to get fire for cooking was to take “dung cake” and ask from neighbours, and u only got it after visiting 4-5 neighbors chulha.

55 minutes ago, goose said:

i recall watching maachis when it came out - class above

Actually, Not lyrics, but he has dealt big problem and suggested the simple solution and some thought provoking statements.

That scene when Chandrachud Singh first picks up the gun, Tabu just dumps the gun in well, Big message to families of people who have young men who want to pick gun. They can take a easy route to avoid the disaster.

Or the scene where Chandrachud Singh says I have killed the police man kyunki kaleje mein aag jal rahee thee. And Tabu interrupts “ab mil gayee kaleje ko thandak”

Or Om Puris dialogue about “Azadi kaise milee?”

Simple words and sad but correct ending. Story was just as good in my opinion.