Young English spectators

Vk1

where are the teenage spectators in English cricket ? do they all care only about EPL ? you will always see majority of the crowd being oldies or above 30 aged people enjoying their beer.. is it the ticket prices ?

50 minutes ago, Vk1 said:

where are the teenage spectators in English cricket ? do they all care only about EPL ? you will always see majority of the crowd being oldies or above 30 aged people enjoying their beer.. is it the ticket prices ?

EPL is certainly much more popular than cricket in ingerlund

3 hours ago, Vk1 said:

when I went to watch test cricket in England in 2011, there were plenty of younger folks in the audience - minority to be sure, but they were there.  Not sure what its like now....

7 hours ago, Vijy said:

EPL is certainly much more popular than cricket in ingerlund

Same in Australia, cricket is basically only followed in the "off-season" from about November to January. AFL/NRL dominate the majority of the year.

Outside of this, most Australians dont care or worry about the cricket. Exceptions is the Ashes and occasionally the series in India.

Its a healthy approach.

Biggest problem in Indian Cricket is that there is no real off-season. You guys are like 24/7 365 days a year follow cricket, after a while it becomes stale.

As much as I love AFL, I would hate for it to be throughout the year, which is why I always look forward to cricket in October onwards.

This cannot be true, the most exciting young cricketers these days are all coming out of England, this wouldn't have happened if their young ones aren't following or watching cricket. Just because we don't see them on the stands doesn't mean they don't exist. On the contrary, when we see matches in Indian stadiums, we generally see a young crowd dancing and waving at camera. That does not mean oldies in India are not following cricket. 

This is mere a speculation, there is no evidence to back the claims made in this thread.

5 hours ago, SRT100 said:

Same in Australia, cricket is basically only followed in the "off-season" from about November to January. AFL/NRL dominate the majority of the year.

Outside of this, most Australians dont care or worry about the cricket. Exceptions is the Ashes and occasionally the series in India.

Its a healthy approach.

Biggest problem in Indian Cricket is that there is no real off-season. You guys are like 24/7 365 days a year follow cricket, after a while it becomes stale.

As much as I love AFL, I would hate for it to be throughout the year, which is why I always look forward to cricket in October onwards.

and despite this overwhelming support, the team is "mid" nowadays. yes, they were world no. 1 for a while, but not in the indisputable sense of 80s WI or 00s Oz.

Edited by Vijy
1 hour ago, Vijy said:

and despite this overwhelming support, the team is "mid" nowadays. yes, they were world no. 1 for a while, but not in the indisputable sense of 80s WI or 00s Oz.

We are in the middle of peak AFL/NRL in Australia and I can guarantee you that less than 10 people out of every 100 Australians would know anything about the SL series.

For me the biggest problem in Indian cricket isnt the support but the sub standard approach to selections. If players are constantly needing to improve and strive to do better, you would have India doing better. Unfortunately elder players are given a long rope to survive on. I mean we still have Pujara in the squad.

1 hour ago, SRT100 said:

We are in the middle of peak AFL/NRL in Australia and I can guarantee you that less than 10 people out of every 100 Australians would know anything about the SL series.

For me the biggest problem in Indian cricket isnt the support but the sub standard approach to selections. If players are constantly needing to improve and strive to do better, you would have India doing better. Unfortunately elder players are given a long rope to survive on. I mean we still have Pujara in the squad.

agree that selection is the major hurdle,  but the quality of players is uneven too. sometimes we had good batters and poor bowlers, and now it's vice versa

Went to few matches of the 100 tournament, the crowds were fairly young.

One of the major blunders commited by ECB was telecasting all live matches on Sky and not on Freeview, which has resulted in dwindling the interest among the youth.

Broadcasting 100 on Channel 4 (Freeview) is a good start, hope it's not too little too late though.

On 6/24/2022 at 7:50 PM, Sean Bradley said:

This cannot be true, the most exciting young cricketers these days are all coming out of England, this wouldn't have happened if their young ones aren't following or watching cricket. Just because we don't see them on the stands doesn't mean they don't exist. On the contrary, when we see matches in Indian stadiums, we generally see a young crowd dancing and waving at camera. That does not mean oldies in India are not following cricket. 

This is mere a speculation, there is no evidence to back the claims made in this thread.

how is that relevant.. cricket is a physical game and Europeans and other white countries have major advantage due to their lifestyles and emphasis on being fit. They can become top level cricketers even if they take it up seriously from teenage.. which is very difficult to achieve in south asian teams.. one glance at crowd in asian grounds vs English grounds.. huge difference in ages

34 minutes ago, Serpico said:

Just stop using "you guys" and "we still have pujara" at the same time, its really annoying. You want to be condescending to indians, everytime there's an opportunity but at the same claim the indian team as our team

No I wont, I will continue to do so. I am of my Indian heritage that I am proud of, born and raised in Australia, which I am grateful for.

Im not condescending to Indians at all, I am disappointed and frustrated with certain aspects of Indian cricket and will highlight this, but I am also one to celebrate and enjoy our success.

8 hours ago, Serpico said:

Just stop using "you guys" and "we still have pujara" at the same time, its really annoying. You want to be condescending to indians, everytime there's an opportunity but at the same claim the indian team as our team

Exactly, he should just support Australia then