Moeen Ali: Ban the Mankad

sage

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2022/09/27/moeen-ali-ban-mankad/

Moeen Ali says the Mankad dismissal should be banned and reiterated England’s dislike of bowlers running out the non-striker for backing up.

The Mankad debate has raged since Charlie Dean was run out backing up by Deepti Sharma during the third ODI between England and India at Lord’s on Sunday.

“No it's not my thing,” he said. “I don't think I'll ever do it unless I was really angry with someone. It's in the laws and there's nothing illegal so people that do it have the right, but I just hope it doesn't become a common thing, or something that's regularly done.

“You’re not really working to get a wicket. At least with a run-out, there’s a bit of work that has to be done, and with all the other dismissals. This is just waiting for the guy and taking the bails off. Even when I played cricket as a kid in the garden, it’s not my thing to do. 

“You should be in your crease anyway, to be fair, but it’s a difficult one. You don’t really look at the bowlers. You feel like they’re there and they’re going to bowl, but if they’re stopping, your momentum can take you out of your crease,” said Moeen.

“I actually just think they should get rid of them. We were discussing this the other day, how would you do it, because guys would then (pinch ground) but there should be a line where you can’t go past and you know how the umpires look for the no-balls, they could potentially do the same for that and say, right, he’s got one more, if he does it again, he’s gone.”

Flat pitches, rules stacked against the bowlers and toss-favorable conditions are making  cricket predictable and  boring. Make Mankading legal. I thought it already was under the new rules so why is this being made a big deal again ?

Non-striker shouldn’t cross till the ball is delivered. You break the rule you pay for it if caught that’s the way it works. This spirit of cricket bs is just another one of those loosely used terms that somehow makes you win  every argument .

Yes I do believe in the spirit of cricket and sportsmanship but Manakding is not an example of it. Mankad probably did that to stick it to some racist a-hole back in the day anyway and the powers that be couldn’t do anything about it because it was well within the rules so they came up with this spirit of cricket bs to play it down. That’s my take.

Edited by maniac
14 hours ago, maniac said:

Flat pitches, rules stacked against the bowlers and toss-favorable conditions are making  cricket predictable and  boring. Make Mankading legal. I thought it already was under the new rules so why is this being made a big deal again ?

Non-striker shouldn’t cross till the ball is delivered. You break the rule you pay for it if caught that’s the way it works. This spirit of cricket bs is just another one of those loosely used terms that somehow makes you win  every argument .

Yes I do believe in the spirit of cricket and sportsmanship but Manakding is not an example of it. Mankad probably did that to stick it to some racist a-hole back in the day anyway and the powers that be couldn’t do anything about it because it was well within the rules so they came up with this spirit of cricket bs to play it down. That’s my take.

Mankad gave due warning. Bradman supported him too.

36 minutes ago, Number said:

One thing I wonder about Moeen is how can such an utter mediocre cricketer have such a long England career ?

Not even that, he even got to captain England ?

Is there any multiculti quota in English team ?

You answered your question yourself.