Indian World Cup team frustrated with cold sandwiches, orders online instead

sage

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/t20-world-cup-2021/t20-world-cup-2022-cricket-news-india-team-unhappy-with-cold-sandwiches-after-training-orders-food-online/news-story/1494068e849180798fb94d504da6f866

India’s cricket players have complained about getting cold sandwiches after practice at the Twenty20 World Cup with some ordering food online instead, a source told AFP on Wednesday.

“The team told the ground authorities about the meal we got,” the source said on condition of anonymity.

“Will you be happy if you are served a sandwich after three hours of workout?

“I know all the teams are getting the same thing but they are not speaking out because most of them are not in a position to raise a voice.”

India wield significant power in cricket with the wealthy Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) often accused of calling the shots to even the world body.

The source added: “We did not train today and hope we get something better in our next net session, and if not, then the players will order online like we did on Tuesday.”

According to the UN’s World Food Programme, a quarter of the world’s undernourished people live in India.

Rohit Sharma’s side edged out Pakistan in a last-ball thriller in their opening game on Sunday and another win would bolster their chances of making the semi-finals.

The International Cricket Council is hosting the World Cup with help from local organisers who provide food and catering at the venues in Australia.

actually if its not a country in Mediterranean like Italy, Greece & Spain; its pretty common in Europe to have cold sandwiches for lunch. I have no idea about Australia though, its not summer yet there; and in winter white nordic/anglo-saxon people have cold food during lunch.

The food culture is completely different from India, expecting Rice & Roti during lunch might be difficult. Although Sydney is their biggest commercial city, with a lot of asian subcontinental people working on IT, Banking & Analytics. Very surprised they did not prepare something hot for lunch at the stadium.

Edited by SrinjayDutta
50 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Lol Fox sports clearly took a dig on India.... They added the UN part to make our multi Millionaire stars look bad:flame:....  More reason to get pumped up

:mad: Facking  condescending Bs. Why do they have to bring in Hunger index and IPL millionaires? Proper hit job. As SMG used to say, you don’t play against 11 in Aus, you play against the whole nation. Still living in colonial times, these racist pricks. It’s just a cultural thing. Cold subs are probably unknown to Indians who prefer proper hot food. Instead of saying that, these pricks had to go all postal on India. Fack them! 

Edited by coffee_rules
46 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

:mad: Facking  condescending Bs. Why do they have to bring in Hunger index and IPL millionaires? Proper hit job. As SMG used to say, you don’t play against 11 in Aus, you play against the whole nation. Still living in colonial times, these racist pricks. It’s just a cultural thing. Cold subs are probably unknown to Indians who prefer proper hot food. Instead of saying that, these pricks had to go all postal on India. Fack them! 

Their news channels are calling out their own Test captain Cummins after his refusal to have an ad for Alinta Energy citing climate concerns.  I saw Sky news Aus anchors calling him woke prick...  So you get the gist that media is pretty hardcore over there.  

https://www.theroar.com.au/2022/10/18/cummins-under-fire-for-opposition-to-alinta-energy-deal-as-diamonds-strike-truce-over-hancock-dispute/

4 minutes ago, adi B said:

They should carry a personal chef along with them for the away tours 

They usually do on Bilats on their dime maybe. But this event being managed by ICC, probably has restrictions on personnel that can accompany with the team. They can just order food and don’t make it a big deal. All this condescending piece based on a source from BCCI. Just click-bait news , I suppose

49 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

One sad thing I just learnt after searching in the internet and after reading the fox sports article, that Ind ranked around 107 out of 121 countries on global hunger index. 25% of hungry people in the world is from India. There is only 120 odd countries because for the others, it is not even an issue. So this list mostly covers asia and africa. India recently have done a lot over 20 years to lift many people from abject poverty, but still hunger seems to be a massive issue, seperate from extreme poverty. I did not think the rank would be so low.

1 minute ago, SrinjayDutta said:

One sad thing I just learnt after searching in the internet and after reading the fox sports article, that Ind ranked around 107 out of 121 countries on global hunger index. 25% of hungry people in the world is from India. There is only 120 odd countries because for the others, it is not even an issue. So this list mostly covers asia and africa. India recently have done a lot over 20 years to lift many people from abject poverty, but still hunger seems to be a massive issue, seperate from extreme poverty. I did not think the rank would be so low.

I will share some facts on the Hunger Index or Malnutrition facts in another thread. These are parameters that are not ground realities. Suffice to say, take these inndex with dollops of salt. We supply food grains to many countries who are placed above in the list

Typical Australian media...could not resist the dig...

Sandwiches with cold cuts/cucumber etc are quite common in the UK. They do taste bland. Smoked Salmon and cucumber which is a staple of sandwiches at tea is quite bland. Most contain mayo now a days which kills all the taste IMO.

However, unless they are banned outside food which stops the players from ordering then I dont know why you would complain? Just order your stuff and move on. Its not a big deal. 

20 minutes ago, SrinjayDutta said:

I haven't followed the issue that closely, but there were some questions raised on the index methodology - clearly there is a problem with nutrition and food in India.  It shows up in aggregate data on height, weight, general health of children.  Of course, urban middle class is insulated from these issues, but its undeniable that a big chunk of people are impacted.  Even if the ranking is "wrong", and we move it up 20/30 positions, its still bad.  

Obviously, 'fox' had not reason to insert this nonsense into a cricket report about WC provisions, but it shows the chip on their shoulder.  Having a hard time stomaching reality that in cricket, India is top dog, literally.

46 minutes ago, SrinjayDutta said:

24 minutes ago, sandeep said:

I haven't followed the issue that closely, but there were some questions raised on the index methodology - clearly there is a problem with nutrition and food in India.  It shows up in aggregate data on height, weight, general health of children.  Of course, urban middle class is insulated from these issues, but its undeniable that a big chunk of people are impacted.  Even if the ranking is "wrong", and we move it up 20/30 positions, its still bad.  

Obviously, 'fox' had not reason to insert this nonsense into a cricket report about WC provisions, but it shows the chip on their shoulder.  Having a hard time stomaching reality that in cricket, India is top dog, literally.

Well poverty is still a big problem in India but to say that India is worse than a bankrupt Pakistan (which has half the per capita income of India) and in the same league as war torn Afghanistan (whom India has just sent 50000 tonnes of food aid) makes little sense. 

The survey was conducted by a couple of random European NGOs, not by any UN related agencies. Besides their sample size is too low for a vast country like India. There are other problems related to the questionnaire used to conduct this survey. 

This video does a decent job of explaining this issue. 

So apparently, they were given fruits, falafel and DIY sandwiches. They didn’t like it and preferred to eat in the hotel. Baat ka batangad banana inn fox sports media se seekhe

https://www.wionews.com/sports/icc-official-reacts-as-indian-players-skip-lunch-return-to-hotel-after-being-served-cold-food-in-sydney-528523

It's not like any boycott. Some players did pick up fruits and falafel but everyone wanted to have lunch and hence they had food after going back to the hotel," a BCCI official told PTI on the conditions of anonymity.

5 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Baat ka batangad banana inn fox sports media se seekhe

come on now, you know how Oz "media" operates when it comes to rivals - its like the sports editors are having a competition in trying silly attempts at 'mental disintegration'.  The thing is that Indian players are used to it by now, and well aware of it.  Its only the fans who get all worked up.