Hardik Pandya discussion thread

Khota

Per comments made by ex-cricketers such as Gavaskar, who maybe see Rohit as a temporary place holder for the incomparable Sir Don Pandya. In a way, it is good to have a temporary place holder like Rohit (not seen a long term option when he was appointed) to allow SDP to ease into the role. 

Gavaskar told Star Sports, "I have been very impressed with his captaincy at the T20 level for the Gujarat Titans and for India when he is captaining the T20 side. I do believe that if he wins the first game in Mumbai, then you can almost stamp him as the India captain once the World Cup is over in 2023."

He is probably going to be one of the worst player to ever be appointed Indian captain in Odis. It's like Nz appointing Jimmy Neesham as a captain. Actually Neesham has a better record. 

Let's take a look at previous captains-

Rohit - 50+ avg as opener, 5 centuries in one world cup, doing well in test matches(which Pandya refuse to play) and has won India countless matches. 

Kohli - one of the greatest odi batsman, 49 avg in test cricket with 11 centuries in Sena, A former world cup and Champions trophy winner. 

Ms Dhoni- probably the GOAT captain, one of the greatest finishers and also a world class wicketkeeper. 

Ganguly - world class opener, won India the CT, very good test player. 

Sachin - The GOAT, nuff said. 

it is still a mystery to most if pandya is a batsman or bowler as he looks neither tbh

i think with him at 6 being so hit and miss and poor against pace bowling and his bowling rather being a pie chucker than a proper bowler 

he is just imbalancing the team 

better have a proper bat at 6 or if an allrounder better to play sundar which will allow to play 3 proper quicks

have your say

Not a fan of Pandya, but the way Rohit fared in t20 wc after all the talk about changed approach and pissed in his pants in SF, I'm not hopeful with Rohit anyway. All those runs and IPL trophies and 5 centuries in one wc are inconsequential when it comes to captaincy. I'm fine with Pandya as far as Rohit is sacked. Anyway, appointment of Pandya would suggest serious dearth of talent in India, all the talks about reserve players and India can field 3 teams is just hogwash. 

I hope Sir Don, India’s greatest 4D talent of the 21st century, gets the ODI captaincy before the 2023 WC (then maybe tests, if he is interested). 

Expected to become the best LOI captain since Dhoni! :nod:

(If I am still around and interested in cricket, look forward to discussions on Sir Don v Dhoni as captains in future). 

38 minutes ago, ungboysj said:

it is still a mystery to most if pandya is a batsman or bowler as he looks neither tbh

i think with him at 6 being so hit and miss and poor against pace bowling and his bowling rather being a pie chucker than a proper bowler 

he is just imbalancing the team 

better have a proper bat at 6 or if an allrounder better to play sundar which will allow to play 3 proper quicks

have your say

What are the alternatives ? He is enjoying his place as he's the only pace allrounder we have... Venkatesh Iyer is just lost in the system while Raj Bawa is too young atm.

Chirag Jani, Atit Sheth or Prerak Mankad are the other options.

Edited by singhvivek141

Right now Ind has no other option, if some1 look past his personality (where he thinks himself as best batter and best bowler in the world)  he has done alright for himself (white ball)

This is what allrounder are, Its very hard to find a Kallis kind of an allrounder. If you look at Kapil Dev's record he only got 1 100 in ODis. 

The problem have been the team combination, batting line set-up for Ind and his lack of ability to hit High pace bowler in the death over. He comes at no. 5 after him there are no batter who  can be trusted, Ind may have the longest and most in efficient tail in white ball cricket right now. There has been only him who was to suppose to play at high strike rates in T20s before SKY came in rest of Ind batters are/were playing for avgs. In ODIs big hitting is only left to him.

Ind needs 2 more batting down the order who can be power hitter/able to play at higher SR. so that only 1 batter does not have to take all the risk and can be trusted with batting.

HIs bowling is ok takes wkts here and there, if top blower are ineffective in middle overs how can be  an allrounder be.

He is Okish cricketer, only allrounder Ind has, can be a power multiplier not a single handedly match winner, Ind needs to get their combination right to maximize what ever potential players have. 

Edited by tapandrun

Pandya is looking good in odis. I am seeing the maturity in his approach in batting which was missing saying in 2019.His bowling is still WIP but he is looking eager to bowl.

T20s he has severe limitations as a finisher but odis at number 6, he is doing his job.