Pitch/Conditions in Ahmedabad are slightly concerning

Number

One big positive is that shaheen is down on pace and not as effective anymore. So even if we lose Rohit early, kohli/kishan can survive and can milk the terrible spin attack 

Facing rauf is still a concern at death. Big challenge for pandya/jaddu in final 10 overs

25 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

I am tempted to chase against Pakistan looking how nicely ball coming in the evening. Just win the toss and chase

I just fear our top order collapsing under a run chase pressure  of 250+ - especially with a left armer like Shaheen- there is ample history with this episode.

More comfortable with a bat first and aim for 350 +.

With tight bowling and 2-3 wickets down against our bowling, Pak will not survive.

Edited by rangeelaraja
6 hours ago, Prabhdeep Singh said:

Against Pakistan go with the best possible line up:

Rohit

Gill

Kohli

S Iyer

KL

H Pandya

R Jadeja

R Ashwin

Kuldeep

M Shami

J Bumrah

Gill is recovering from Dengue..would be mad to play him so soon in a game like this. Stick with Kishan I'd say.

Also I don't think Ashwin would be that effective against Pakistan 

2 hours ago, dilliboy said:

Gill is recovering from Dengue..would be mad to play him so soon in a game like this. Stick with Kishan I'd say.

Also I don't think Ashwin would be that effective against Pakistan 

Yeah Shafiq-Babar-Rizwan are the engine room, all cautious right handers, Ashwin won't be of much use unless its a turner.

Just checked the record and Motera is a chasing ground. The record looks similar while both batting first and chasing but it's a bit of an illusion.  Even in day games , chasing is better. Chasing wins are more dominant.

Wins while batting first are usually when the bowling side is really bad.

Eg. 2005 ODI vs SA, we had a bowling attack of Sreesanth, Sudeep Tyagi, Abhimanyu Mithun, Jadeja and Yousuf Pathan as bowlers  and DeVilliers smashed SA to 365 while batting first and we couldnt chase it down.

2005 ODI series vs SL   The only ODI SL won in that series(6-1 win for India) was while chasing vs India in that series at Motera

1988  IND vs WI   India lost while chasing (only by 2 runs)  despite playing Arun Lal, S Viswanath, WV Raman, Manjrekar and a weak bowling attack.

1989 SL vs IND   SL lost while chasing by 6 runs despite being minnows and especially in Indian conditions back in 1989.

1996 World Cup  England lost by 10 runs while chasing against NZ because but they were a rubbish team with Athers, Peter Martin, Dominic Cork, Richard Illingworth

2011 IND vs WI   India lost while chasing but a young Umesh and Abhimanyu Mithun together got smashed for 122 runs in 16 overs when all other bowlers when went for 138 runs in 34 overs.

Many of these were Day  games and even then, they were only marginal losses when chasing sides were weak.   

In D/N games , there is no evidence to suggest that we should bat first especially since we have a better bowling attack and our batting lineup is shallower than in those days.  

Chasing is the way to go. 

Edited by Nikhil_cric
22 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Just checked the record and Motera is a chasing ground. The record looks similar while both batting first and chasing but it's a bit of an illusion.  Even in day games , chasing is better. Chasing wins are more dominant.

Wins while batting first are usually when the bowling side is really bad.

Eg. 2005 ODI vs SA, we had a bowling attack of Sreesanth, Sudeep Tyagi, Abhimanyu Mithun, Jadeja and Yousuf Pathan as bowlers  and DeVilliers smashed SA to 365 while batting first and we couldnt chase it down.

2005 ODI series vs SL   The only ODI SL won in that series(6-1 win for India) was while chasing vs India in that series at Motera

1988  IND vs WI   India lost while chasing (only by 2 runs)  despite playing Arun Lal, S Viswanath, WV Raman, Manjrekar and a weak bowling attack.

1989 SL vs IND   SL lost while chasing by 6 runs despite being minnows and especially in Indian conditions back in 1989.

1996 World Cup  England lost by 10 runs while chasing against NZ because but they were a rubbish team with Athers, Peter Martin, Dominic Cork, Richard Illingworth

2011 IND vs WI   India lost while chasing but a young Umesh and Abhimanyu Mithun together got smashed for 122 runs in 16 overs when all other bowlers when went for 138 runs in 34 overs.

Many of these were Day  games and even then, they were only marginal losses when chasing sides were weak.   

In D/N games , there is no evidence to suggest that we should bat first especially since we have a better bowling attack and our batting lineup is shallower than in those days.  

Chasing is the way to go. 

I can't get my hands over 4 PM start IPL games and 8 PM start IPL games. Avg scores in those will give clear idea whether batting under lights is easy here.

Every one is saying batting is the key … I think Siraj is the key .. the minute Siraj goes round the park .. we are done ..

bumrah does what bumrah does

they will shradul , coz they worried about batting .. he will go over around the park .. 

So Siraj is the key .. 

catching needs to be top notch .. 

Edited by figo6762
1 hour ago, AuxiliA said:

Chasing in ODIs is not as easy as chasing in T20s.

Also the problem with chasing on flat wickets is that if the team batting first posts a humungous target it will be very difficult no matter what. Look what happened in CT17 F.

That score was chaseable. Our batting lineup was very Top 3 dependent and after 1 early wicket, they'd go into a shell. 

We played 2 spinners on a flat Oval deck who got smashed .

Even then, we failed because Dhoni and Yuvraj were rubbish by 2017 and I never really understood the value of Kedar Jadhav .  We were relying on 3 batsmen to win us everything .

1 hour ago, Nikhil_cric said:

That score was chaseable. Our batting lineup was very Top 3 dependent and after 1 early wicket, they'd go into a shell. 

We played 2 spinners on a flat Oval deck who got smashed .

Even then, we failed because Dhoni and Yuvraj were rubbish by 2017 and I never really understood the value of Kedar Jadhav .  We were relying on 3 batsmen to win us everything .

Are Bhai 337 was never chaseable in a high pressure final. Should have batted first after winning the toss. It was a sunny morning with a flat pitch and Pak themselves were very poor chasers. 

I feel internal tensions (Kohli v Kumble) played a big role in that loss. Shortcomings aside, our team was still significantly better than theirs.