Has pandya been a failed investment

ungboysj

So India has almost invested 7 years on this guy and has got nothing in return 

Only played 11 test and 86 odi

Gets injured in biggest world cup event for team when supposed to be his peak

Was never the match winner he was billed up to

Neither good enough with bat or ball

Guess his test and odi career are over now and T20 don't really matter 

It's literally 7 years of investment in drain wonder if India could have invested in someone like shankar or Iyer and got better return

If India doesn't win this it's due to this failed investment

My view is he was never good enough and got lucky to have such investment 

India were not wrong to back him initially. The only genuine seam bowling all rounder we had since Kapil Dev and including him gave the side a balance that no player can give. However, once it became clear he was extremely injury prone, should have started developing an alternative instead of putting all our eggs on one basket. Now, the team balance is shaken and while me may get away with it due to the incredible form of Shami, it shows poor planning on the management's part.

Same goes with Jadeja, but at least we had prepared an alternative in Axar.

Won't call him "failed" investment...failed is a big word and tbh Pandya is above that.

Yes, I agree that his development hasn't been what we anticipated...but he surely has his moments here & there which will probably give us a satisfaction that he has been "serviceable perfomer for few years".

His fitness has been dodgy and that's the reason he quite Tests (a format which could actually made him MVP of India in SENA countries). Now he will leave ODI as well, and will play only T20' (where even some bits & pieces players are enjoying the demi god status)...one reason is probably we didn't created sufficient backup for him (Dube, VJ were poor choices.. Venky was a batsman), hence Pandya had to force his body in doing something which he never prepare for.

Apart from his fitness, another one reason for his limited success is that he considers batting as his stronger suit while his stronger skill actually is bowling. Had he focussed on his bowling more, he could have easily shared the new ball in ODI's plus become an enforcer in middle. But he was too focussed on becoming a top 5 batter.

He should stick to only one format ie T20.  Is a good AR but unfortunately has unique self-destruction skills.  The ability to get himself severly injured (viz : breaking an ankle) while attempting to stop the ball and yet not being able to make any contact with the ball.    TM can do nothing if he does not get his basics right.  Back up AR is Thakur whose bowling & batting hv regressed.  D Chahar remains permanently injured always. 

Just now, Frustrated said:

He should stick to only one format ie T20.  Is a good AR but unfortunately has unique self-destruction skills.  The ability to get himself severly injured (viz : breaking an ankle) while attempting to stop the ball and yet not being able to make any contact with the ball.    TM can do nothing if he does not get his basics right.  Back up AR is Thakur whose bowling & batting hv regressed.  D Chahar remains permanently injured always. 

we don't have many pace bowling ARs coming through the ranks who can bat in top 7. among the has-beens: venky iyer is not bowling much, shankar was a part-timer. In the new ones, rana and hangu are no. 8 types, not for no. 6 or no. 7. bawa is one person who could do that role, but needs to be looked after carefully

Injury can be a freak one. Probably stretching exercise is something they have to do a lot more.   I have seen Jonty Rhodes do all kinds of contortions, and stretching while fielding. Rarely got injured.  Sometimes you pick up an injury doing an innocuous thing. I have been having this shoulder pain for a week. I am almost certain it is a rotator cuff injury.  I can't sleep well. I can't even move freely. Pain radiates through my wrists. I feel uncomfortable even doing simple things. Frustrating. Thinking back I possibly picked up during Lat pull which puts a lot of load on your shoulder if the form is not correct.  Imagine a cricketer having an injury like this. He can't do anything for a significant amount of time. Batting will be very hard. Bowling will be very hard. Recovery time? Unknown. 

22 hours ago, Lord said:

No but there should have been a backup.

What I really struggle to understand is that even knowing this, the Madness of Indian Cricket is such that they will still not even plan for this in the next mindless irrelevant bilateral series.