Is Australia peaking at the right time?

SRT100

14 minutes ago, SRT100 said:

Correct.

I would rather India play Pakistan, NZ or SA in any final than Australia.

SA wont beat Aus. We will defeat them in Final. Ind needs to forget and bury their ko scars. We have defeated them 3 times out of 4 in just over a month. Treat their bowlers like trash which they really are. Afg took them to cleaners in the end and had their idiot captain not wasted the middle overs, they would have scored 330. Look at the eco of our bowlers. Like I said previously, unless a collective shitshow happens, we are not losing. Period. 

7 minutes ago, nitinbwj said:

SA wont beat Aus. We will defeat them in Final. Ind needs to forget and bury their ko scars. We have defeated them 3 times out of 4 in just over a month. Treat their bowlers like trash which they really are. Afg took them to cleaners in the end and had their idiot captain not wasted the middle overs, they would have scored 330. Look at the eco of our bowlers. Like I said previously, unless a collective shitshow happens, we are not losing. Period. 

SA vs Aus match will be decided by who bats first. If SA bat 1st, they should win by 100+ runs.   

16 minutes ago, IndianRenegade said:

Put anything above 250, SA will choke.

batting first is the only way sa wins.

Agree.  But exact same is the case with Aus too.   They cann't chase decent total against top bowling units. Thats why whoever wins toss will win the match by batting 1st.   (Assuming these teams know their own weakness)

30 minutes ago, nitinbwj said:

Hope youre right, it will be an absolute humiliation for India to lose the WC from this position.

1 hour ago, Frustrated said:

It would require a massive level of choke from SA to lose to this Aus side in SF.    Otherwise SA are almost in the Final.   

Saffers are habitual chokers. Batting first has been their forte this WC, but a 2007 like collapse even when batting first cannot be ruled out. But if they do overcome their usual weakness and make it to the final or even win it, I will be happy for them. 

4 hours ago, SRT100 said:

Australia looks to be a force again.

Great win overnight and they have players in form.

Beware of the Australian ambush. Not only do they have history of winning tournaments but also a rich history of never giving up.

The mindset of the Australian sportsman is to peak for finals. Its ingrained in the culture in AFL and Rugby, where they play home and away games for 6 months than finals to win the championship.

Its one of the few cricketing nations where this culture of doing whats enough to qualify then perform at another higher level is indoctrinated into every aspect of the Australian life.

Thoughts? @express bowling@Vijy@raki05@Lord@coffee_rules@cricspirit

The older Australian Teams ( 1987 to 2010 ) or thereabouts, were really tough and aggressive mentally. They basically thought about nothing but winning big tournaments and big test series at all costs.

My impression is that, the Aussie cricketers of the last 7 or 8 years aren't that tough mentally, compared to their predecessors. But still better than many other teams. 

People will rule them out at their own risk. 

I agree with some other posters here. What happened today was a freak innings from MAXI and everything went right for him. Australia has troubles with their bowling attack and bulk of the batting order. I am no more worried about them today than 2 days ago. The fact that MAXI has already done two hundreds reduces the probability of a repeat from him. The kind of innings today only happens once in a long time and often involves some luck. 

They are always a force in cricket no matter their team combination. However they are not as scary as Gilchrist/Ponting era team. Current team is a good team but not a great one. I don't think they are peaking at the right time as they were so close to being bundled out under 100 runs by AFG of all teams. On the other hand if AFG managed to take one more wicket and won by 100 or more runs, someone could open a thread about them peaking at the right time. 

2 hours ago, R!TTER said:

They were at least slightly lucky vs SA, had Gibbs held to the Steve Waugh catch we wouldn't even talking about their legacy here! But whatever they did till 2009 CT had class written all over it, the last 0.001% is what defines a great team over the very many other good ones - that's what defined peak Windies of yore & Oz to a lesser extent. I say less because for me O had an inferior bowling lineup, even in India they won all the games batting first putting massive totals in 2004 - if we had a 5/6 match series between the best of Windies & peak Oz today with DRS & what not I would give the edge to Windies 9/10 times :om:

That's ok, the Windies of 70's & 80's were undoubtedly leagues above the rest.

It took an extremely spirited Indian team to beat them twice in 83..but that doesn't hide from the fact that Windies of that era was best ever.

Aussies from 1999-2007 were close second. They do have some chinks in their armour, but they had fighting spirit which is evident if you matches like 2003 one vs NZ, vs Pakistan or even 2005 Edgebaston test. 

Any kid growing through the era of 2000's will admire Aussies of that time. Someone like Mike Hussey couldn't break into that team till the age of 30 coz the competition was so high.

2 hours ago, SRT100 said:

I dont disagree here. India should win this year's ODI WC, however to post that Australia has not been a force in World Cricket and in particular winning trophies is ignorant.

Not saying you have said it, just reiterating what ignorant posters on here are saying.

Aligned, I guess the reason maybe everyone is comparing Australia of today with Australia of 2000's (as I assume most of the posters here are born in early 80's to early 90')..and they find a sheer drop in quality in comparison of the two teams.

But undoubtedly they are still a very good side, not unbeatable, but definitely not something which can be ignored. Infact, I as an Indian Cricket fan is most worried about Australia in top 4. 

That was once in lifetime performance by maxwell but that doesn't mean australia cannot be defeated. They probably have most flaws of team going into knockouts. Their batting barring openers & maxwell is non existent and bowling except zampa is poor so no reason why we have to be worried about them also we saw how bad they are while chasing when they were at 91-7. Maxwell himself got dropped and was lucky. Remember individuals win you matches and team wins you tournament and if there is team which has all departments firing is india with huge gap between other teams.

3 hours ago, express bowling said:

The older Australian Teams ( 1987 to 2010 ) or thereabouts, were really tough and aggressive mentally. They basically thought about nothing but winning big tournaments and big test series at all costs.

My impression is that, the Aussie cricketers of the last 7 or 8 years aren't that tough mentally, compared to their predecessors. But still better than many other teams. 

People will rule them out at their own risk. 

That record breaking Aussie team had an abundance of talent, which the current team lacks. When talent is short or washed up, mental toughness also declines. Neither the present Aussie bowling nor their batting cause fear in their opponents. Can we even imagine a McGrath led bowling attack allowing the Afghans to score 290? But, despite all their weaknesses, the current lot is capable of raising their game and winning tournaments.

14 hours ago, SRT100 said:

Australia has won the ODI ICC Trophy at the WC in India, England, SA and Australia.

That wasn't this set of players.

This set of players just got their ass handed to them in SA, got outclassed by IND in the warmup series as well as the league stage game, came within a fart of losing to Afghanistan for cryin out loud.

This isn't the 2000s.  Grow up, let your balls drop, and stop cowering in fear in the corner.  

19 minutes ago, sandeep said:

That wasn't this set of players.

This set of players just got their ass handed to them in SA, got outclassed by IND in the warmup series as well as the league stage game, came within a fart of losing to Afghanistan for cryin out loud.

This isn't the 2000s.  Grow up, let your balls drop, and stop cowering in fear in the corner.  

Mota bhai, zeher form ma chho aajkal. Su chale chhe?  Majama ne ?