Is Tilak Varma's chapter in the Indian team officially over?

Downtown

Is Tilak Varma all hype with no substance? From what I've observed, he seems a bit nervous, lacks a backup plan for non-flat pitches, and struggles against slow cutters. Jitesh Sharma, based on just two games, appeared to be a more proficient hitter. Perhaps it's time to consider if Tilak Varma's stint in Indian colors has run its course. It might be worth exploring other options and finding players who bring more to the table. The dynamics of the modern game demand adaptability, and only time will tell how this narrative unfolds for him! 

Why are we so quick to judge a youngster after a couple of failures in non important games ? That's the whole motive of these bilateral series right ? To assess their weakness and help them overcome it.

Tilak is a young player with massive potential ahead of him. He hasn't played much domestics yet so there are some gaps in his approach, but he has that confident approach in his batting unlike some of the meek and depressed faces which we see with some of the seniors.

I would still back him considering he comes up bowling capability which our TM is foolish enough to not utilize it. Him at no 5 actually eliminates the dependency on some T20 experts who are unfit throughout the year.

Technique is still suspect for longer formats. 

Jitesh is one of the more technically correct batters amongst the upcoming lot. Bit unfair to compare Tilak to Jitesh imo.

Having said that, I don't think he has the skill to play in Top 4 or the explosiveness to bat lower down at this level. 

That World Cup probables list cut came way too early. 

6 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Not over. But they are trying to bring him too early because of we know why.  He has some chinks that he needs to iron out. I think it is very unfair to ignore actual SMAT performers. He needs one more season. Even for MI he is only a supporting cast. 

They should have picked Rinku first. Varma is still a work in progress whereas Rinku looks like an accomplished player.

2 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Technique is still suspect for longer formats. 

Jitesh is one of the more technically correct batters amongst the upcoming lot. Bit unfair to compare Tilak to Jitesh imo.

Having said that, I don't think he has the skill to play in Top 4 or the explosiveness to bat lower down at this level. 

That World Cup probables list cut came way too early. 

Jitesh is 30. Tilak is 21. Tilak has not been given bowling which was a mistake by surya. Though considering the pitch he played safe. Tilak played wonderful against windies when all floundered. Next t20 wc is in windies. So no he is still in plans

6 hours ago, neel roy said:

Jitesh is 30. Tilak is 21. Tilak has not been given bowling which was a mistake by surya. Though considering the pitch he played safe. Tilak played wonderful against windies when all floundered. Next t20 wc is in windies. So no he is still in plans

Was talking purely about longer formats.  I think Tilak will be in the T20 squad but will he make the first XI?

There is only 1 spot - #3 and even that is assuming Kohli does not make a magical comeback into the squad for no particular reason.

Top 6 will look like this

Yashaswi

Gill

Tilak/Shreyas/Kohli

SKY

Jitesh

Rinku

Will be difficult for Tilak to make it ahead of Iyer if not Kohli.

He's way better than SKY, KL Rahul, Kohli and Rohit Sharma for T20's.

He can bowl and has not much visible weaknesses yet. He will only get better.

SKY on the other hand clearly has a weakness with slower ball outside off bouncers. Can't buy a run as his game is seriously exposed.

But yet, he is made captain and will hog the space for a couple of years on seniority alone.