Akash Deep got his maiden Test call-up for the last three matches as the selectors decided to pick him in place of Avesh Khan.

He has already got call-up in India limited overs squads in the past – Asian Games (T20Is) and South Africa tour (ODIs)

The 27-year-old paceman from Bengal impressed the team management with his performance for India A side in the three unofficial Tests against England Lions.

He was the leading wicket-taker for India A in the series with 13 scalps in the three matches he played. He also claimed a couple of four-fers.

He made his First Class debut in 2019 and has claimed 103 wickets in 29 matches thus far. He has been a consistent performer with the ball for Bengal, meanwhile, he is also a handy batter lower down the order. The 27-year-old can hit the ball a long way as he has smashed 32 sixes and 27 fours in first class. Meanwhile, in 28 List A games he claimed 42 wickets at an average of 24.50.

Not to keep everyone's hope up, he is not exceptionally skilled or is a speed demon. So we have to keep our expectations on the ground.

He is a good, hardworking bowler, can bowl long spells like a workhorse and has ability to tonk the ball. Has a nice repeatable action and can clock 143-144kph peak speeds but is mostly around 133-138 range.

Expectation from him is to support Bumrah & Siraj, keep on bowling tight lines as English batters will come hard on him. His usp is to seam the ball with bounce and I hope he continue to do it. 

Wishing him all the best, he is surely gonna debut sometime in this series, hope he makes a name for himself and replace the trundler Mukesh from Indian Cricket.

45 minutes ago, singhvivek141 said:

Not to keep everyone's hope up, he is not exceptionally skilled or is a speed demon. So we have to keep our expectations on the ground.

He is a good, hardworking bowler, can bowl long spells like a workhorse and has ability to tonk the ball. Has a nice repeatable action and can clock 143-144kph peak speeds but is mostly around 133-138 range.

Expectation from him is to support Bumrah & Siraj, keep on bowling tight lines as English batters will come hard on him. His usp is to seam the ball with bounce and I hope he continue to do it. 

Wishing him all the best, he is surely gonna debut sometime in this series, hope he makes a name for himself and replace the trundler Mukesh from Indian Cricket.

good post. just performing decent is good enough in the first test. We put too much hope on players and then lose patience.

12 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

He can't be worse than Gutkesh Panwaala Kumar.   The way Gutkesh was celebrating the dismissal of Eng's no.11 batter Bashir was truly hillarious.  Never seen anyone displaying this much of energy level after dismissing a tailender batting on his debut.   

Bhai..Paanwala's are decent people and make enjoyable paan's.This guy provides misery to his own team and to us. Isko koi aur naam do :phehe:

7 hours ago, singhvivek141 said:

I can't help but expect more from him based on what I've seen and heard about him. If he can bowl accurately with good bounce, 135 kph average speed and seam the ball, he already sounds better than Mukesh, Avesh, Siraj etc. 

15 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

I can't help but expect more from him based on what I've seen and heard about him. If he can bowl accurately with good bounce, 135 kph average speed and seam the ball, he already sounds better than Mukesh, Avesh, Siraj etc. 

There is mental aspect as well which is untested. Umesh was brainless but was exceptionally gifted, hence had a decentish career. Akashdeep is not that gifted based on what I have seen so far, but at the same time I don't want him to fail, coz I don't want to watch Torturesh Kumar again playing for India.

34 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Better than Mukesh and Avesh?  Very likely.

But better than Siraj?  Hard to believe.  It's just over a month since Siraj (6/15) helped craft a dominating win against SA in their own backyard, and we feel like an untested rookie will be better?  I get that it was helpful conditions and all that, but one still has to bowl well to achieve something like that. I wish he was more consistent and that he did more justice to his ability, but there is no questioning the ability itself.

Edited by BacktoCricaddict
2 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Better than Mukesh and Avesh?  Very likely.

But better than Siraj?  Hard to believe.  It's just over a month since Siraj (6/15) helped craft a dominating win against SA in their own backyard, and we feel like an untested rookie will be better?  I get that it was helpful conditions and all that, but one still has to bowl well to achieve something like that. I wish he was more consistent and that he did more justice to his ability, but there is no questioning the ability itself.

Siraj is an athlete with a high ceiling but just does not have the consistency in his action to hit a length all day, every day on any pitch. High variance bowler.  

We saw that in the World Cup as well.  He kept overpitching and couldn't pull his lengths back at will. When he got favourable  conditions - Wankhede under lights - he wrecked batsmen with swing.    

I want seamers with more control

Just now, Nikhil_cric said:

Siraj is an athlete with a high ceiling but just does not have the consistency in his action to hit a length all day, every day on any pitch. High variance bowler.  

We saw that in the World Cup as well.  He kept overpitching and couldn't pull his lengths back at will. When he got favourable  conditions - Wankhede under lights - he wrecked batsmen with swing.    

I want seamers with more control

And we shall see if Akashdeep has the ability and/or consistency. Even if he is only as good as Siraj, I'll take it over what we have now (other than JB).