Vijay Shankar: I want to be a genuine allrounder

rkt.india

V Shankar is a technically sound batsmen with good strokes as well, organised, knows his game n has time to play shots, he is someone like Pujara in terms of more of a test batsmen but lately also has done well in limited formats.He will be a batsmen who can play in diff conditions also can play n keep out good bowlers n deliveries, will def be a good test bat.

His bowling has few positives , a good action, control, is a strong ,tallish bowler n bowls a heavy ball, is accurate n a thinking cricketer, he will def be a good limited over bowler as he is accurate n bowls to a plan, also he is not a stop gap bowler like Binny but can play as a third or 4 bowler in conditions, bowls from 130 to 135 k but gets some bounce n pace of wkt, also see him get quicker as he bowls in int cricket as he is a motivated cricketer.

Shankar n Pandya will serve India for long as allrounders barring injury, also 26 to 27 is not old these days n he already is experienced , bowlers with the modern training n fitness levels peak at 28 to 34 n can well play until 36 to 37

Vijay Shankar is often criticised for the pace at which he bowls,but he believes that he can bowl faster and is working on it. Talking about bowling, he said, “I can bowl a bit quicker. After the surgery, I had some niggles and it was very difficult to bowl fast. It took some time for me to recover completely. Because of that, I couldn’t work on few things.

“My stride length (in the Ranji trophy season) became long and if I manage to reduce it, I can bowl a quicker. I am already working on it and hopeful of correcting it at the earliest.”

On 10/31/2015 at 7:26 AM, rkt.india said:

No. Batsman who can bowl is always preferred as a 5th bowler.

exactly AR's in test are always 5th and 6th bowlers - one always need 4 good bowlers to take 20 wickets and one or two 5th and 6th bowlers who could help take wickets and also hold one end up and give rest to fast bowlers - ideally i will want even the fifth bowler of the standard of the first 4 bowlers and hardik is quite good..if vijay shankar cannot bowl as good as Pandya than He should not play for INDIA as an all rounder and should be dumped like rishi dhawan and stuart binny.

we need a medium pace all rounder as good as Hardik Pandya - who can be as good as a bowler as pandya and probably as good as pandya as a batsman.

even our kedar jadhav is saving his seat in the team bcos of his Bowling Skills and is kinda doing the role of the 6th bowler whenever he gets his chance, had he failed as a bowler , he would have been playing the state teams by  now.

Shankar can bat at top 6 as he's a proper batsman and also a decent hitter.His bowling can never be 5th option

in LOIs but can be a 6th bowling option with Pandya around.Him and Pandya at 6 and 7 can give us immense

balance.He can also be a back up option for Hardik. He's tall and bowls around 125-130 ks.So if he can keep it

tight he'll be handful while I guess he can hit 135k in intl. LOIs.

Edited by ShebbySB
On 19/02/2017 at 6:58 AM, putrevus said:

He plays most of his games in Chennai, where that pitch is flat as pancake , I do not think his batting average is an indication of his ability.I do not see where he has impressed with either bat or ball this season to be even discussed for Indian team.India A is another story.

People who are saying what has Pandya done, well he has not anything spectacular in FC cricket but he is always in minds of selectors because he plays other forms of cricket and that is the advantage players like him have. Jadeja and Ashwin got into test team based on their exploits in short forms only.

Are other Indian pitches spitting mambas ?

9 hours ago, vishalvirsingh said:

exactly AR's in test are always 5th and 6th bowlers - one always need 4 good bowlers to take 20 wickets and one or two 5th and 6th bowlers who could help take wickets and also hold one end up and give rest to fast bowlers - ideally i will want even the fifth bowler of the standard of the first 4 bowlers and hardik is quite good..if vijay shankar cannot bowl as good as Pandya than He should not play for INDIA as an all rounder and should be dumped like rishi dhawan and stuart binny.

we need a medium pace all rounder as good as Hardik Pandya - who can be as good as a bowler as pandya and probably as good as pandya as a batsman.

even our kedar jadhav is saving his seat in the team bcos of his Bowling Skills and is kinda doing the role of the 6th bowler whenever he gets his chance, had he failed as a bowler , he would have been playing the state teams by  now.

He can take a place of 6th batsmen though ,and also provide an extra bowling option to provide rest to regular bowlers in test.... imagine a lower middle order lineup of shankar,ashwin,pandya,shaha,shami, umesh,ishant/or any 3rd fast bowler  for overseas tour.

In the InterZonal T20 and Syed Mushtaq Ali T20, Vijay was brilliant with both and ball.

In the Vijay Hazare trophy, he scored 198 runs in 7 innings at an average of 66 and excelled as a finisher. His gritty half-century against Baroda in the semi-finals helped his team cross the line in spite of a mini batting collapse.

He was also equally good with the ball as he picked up 8 wickets in six matches at an average of 18 with an economy of 4.44. 

Being a reliable batsman, Vijay aims to be a finisher who is capable of taking his team home. And in the Vijay Hazare trophy, he showed exactly why he can be a good finisher.

16 hours ago, ShebbySB said:

Shankar can bat at top 6 as he's a proper batsman and also a decent hitter.His bowling can never be 5th option

in LOIs but can be a 6th bowling option with Pandya around.Him and Pandya at 6 and 7 can give us immense

balance.He can also be a back up option for Hardik.He's tall and bowls around 125-130 ks.So if he can keep it

tight he'll be handful while I guess he can hit 135k in intl. LOIs.

Proved it today with the bat...

Edited by ShebbySB

That is fine but I would like Shankar to be a genuine bat good enough to make it to the side as a no.5 bat...he clearly has natural batting talent which is very impressive ...he can be like Shane Watson...someone who can bowl a few overs and test the batsman.

I always believe Allrounder has to get in to the side solely on one skill set.

focussing on something not his strong suite I don't want it to run his strength

If Shankar can become a 140k bowler without losing his batting skill  than good for him...he is good enough to make it as a no 5 bat and if he can be someone who bowls at 130ks and can move the ball around in seaming conditions and break partnerships in LOI cricket that is good enough. I don't know why we are discussing him as a bowler...the guy is a very classy bat.

30 minutes ago, maniac said:

If Shankar can become a 140k bowler without losing his batting skill  than good for him...he is good enough to make it as a no 5 bat and if he can be someone who bowls at 130ks and can move the ball around in seaming conditions and break partnerships in LOI cricket that is good enough. I don't know why we are discussing him as a bowler...the guy is a very classy bat.

Very unlikely...

On 10/20/2017 at 3:20 AM, Lannister said:

He seems like a suitable replacement for someone like Kedar Jadhav. Now all that's left is find a batsman who is ideal to bat at 5. That would take care of our limitations in ODI side. 

Jadhav has failed sometimes these days, but his overall sample size is small and he has played some good innings in the past. moreover, of the current bunch, he is the only part timer who bowls.