What is Ishant Sharma's role in the team?

Texan

49 minutes ago, sarcastic said:

Ishant did do well to remove Renshaw!!! Why blame him when your main bowlers (read Ashwin) do not produce enough wickets!!!

Correct me if I am wrong.The ball kept low for the only wicket Ishant got.We have such low expectations from him that when bowls one good spell( without any wicket ofcourse lmao) we praise him a lot.This is pathetic attitude to say the least.

30 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Correct me if I am wrong.The ball kept low for the only wicket Ishant got.We have such low expectations from him that when bowls one good spell( without any wicket ofcourse lmao) we praise him a lot.This is pathetic attitude to say the least.

Yes, in that over. But that was the strategy Ishant was employing to set up Renshaw! He bowled some short-pitched bouncers that kept Renshaw rooted in his crease waiting for another one. At this time, Ishant bowled a well-pitched "stay low" delivery that got Renshaw right infront of the wickets for a plumb LBW. I see that it is an aberration but Ishant did use his brain to set up the batsman. And further in to the spell, he looked ferousiously aggressive against the new batsmen. 

All Ishant has to do is to come up with this kind of aggressive (while also remaining intelligent) spells more often and not rely on opposition batsman needing to fire him up like Renshaw did earlier in that over (by moving away when ishant has almost reached the popping crease). 

Edited by sarcastic
1 hour ago, sarcastic said:

Yes, in that over. But that was the strategy Ishant was employing to set up Renshaw! He bowled some short-pitched bouncers that kept Renshaw rooted in his crease waiting for another one. At this time, Ishant bowled a well-pitched "stay low" delivery that got Renshaw right infront of the wickets for a plumb LBW. I see that it is an aberration but Ishant did use his brain to set up the batsman. And further in to the spell, he looked ferousiously aggressive against the new batsmen. 

All Ishant has to do is to come up with this kind of aggressive (while also remaining intelligent) spells more often and not rely on opposition batsman needing to fire him up like Renshaw did earlier in that over (by moving away when ishant has almost reached the popping crease). 

I think you are reading too much from that. Ishant does that many times.He bowls one or two bouncers followed by fuller or good length for the entire over.Infact I remember getting pisse'd off him for the same reason when he was bowling to Moeen since I believe there is no need to surprise Mooen with short deliveries and just need to keep bowling short.

21 hours ago, sarcastic said:

This is the biggest problem. He takes a grand total of one wicket in the entire match and instead of castigating him for a poor match, that one wicket becomes a model for his potential.

"If only he can bowl like this throughout the match....." becomes the flavor of the conversation. But then, he can't and after almost 80 Tests, you don't expect that he will learn something he didn't learn during all those Tests. 

Ishant Sharma is by far, the worst cricketer to have played Test cricket for such a long duration. In that aspect, he is the luckiest cricketer ever. There, I said it. Not unlucky, but lucky... in fact, luckiest!

I am no expert but i think maybe he only does well on seaming wickets because it forces batsman to play those wide deliveries he always bowls becaue they might seam into the right handed batsman. Otherwise on non seaming wickts batsman can just leave those deliveries alone without much thought. Even look at where he has picked up wickets its usually on pitches that offer seam movement.

4 hours ago, goose said:

What a difference when ALL your bowlers can take wickets. Not only is Ishant **** but when selected he gets a full quota out of deference.

Bhuvaneshwar Kumar has not done any better than Ishant Sharma would have done. Picked up a solitary tail-end batsman when everything is more or less over for Australia... 

On 3/22/2017 at 5:16 AM, goose said:

Srinath/Prasad were unlucky. Ishant is crap.

Really? Can we look at real stats and make this assessment. 

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?bowling_pacespin=1;class=1;filter=advanced;orderby=wickets;qualmin1=80;qualval1=wickets;team=6;template=results;type=bowling

Ishant is a tad lesser than Srinath or Venky in terms of stats. They have not significantly done better than Ishant in terms of strike rate or wickets per innings. I agree however that Ishant picks his wickets at a higher average. 

On 3/21/2017 at 8:36 AM, Texan said:

This is the biggest problem. He takes a grand total of one wicket in the entire match and instead of castigating him for a poor match, that one wicket becomes a model for his potential.

"If only he can bowl like this throughout the match....." becomes the flavor of the conversation. But then, he can't and after almost 80 Tests, you don't expect that he will learn something he didn't learn during all those Tests. 

Ishant Sharma is by far, the worst cricketer to have played Test cricket for such a long duration. In that aspect, he is the luckiest cricketer ever. There, I said it. Not unlucky, but lucky... in fact, luckiest!

There is no doubt that Ishant has not done well to preserve his place in the playing XI in this series. But he is far from being done given his tremendous improvement in overseas record. He has lot to offer on bouncy tracks abroad where his perfect seam presentation might help us pick impactful wickets. Without Renshaw's wicket on Day 4 in the second test, India could not have imagined to win the solitary test match. 

Yes, Ishant is not as good as he was initially hyped up, but he is not that bad if guided properly and given some county experience (now that he is not playing IPL) will do a world of good for him and team India in the coming years. No body has lost their places because Ishant has played so many matches. Ishant deserved the chances he got and will get more chances provided he proves himself further in the domestics. 

Untitled.png

Edited by sarcastic