What's the fuss about Sachin's 194 at Multan?

14 hours ago, Masquerade said:

I think if Dravid had really told him that he would only declare with 15 overs left, then he's at fault for declaring 2 overs earlier. It's important to have a winning mentality but you shouldn't break promises.

What is really shocking though is how quickly Ganguly and the coach seemed to go behind Dravid's back to save themselves. Like Tendulkar, I find it very hard to believe they weren't privy to any decision. Classic case of them just trying to save themselves from the backlash that would occur. That's real selfishness in this case.

"Retrospect is a beautiful thing. If I had known that the Test would finish in four days I would not have declared then," Dravid told reporters.
"Both Sachin and I have a sore throat now clarifying (this issue). It has been made a bigger issue than it is. At least it is not an issue in the team. We have sorted it out. We respect each other too much to let it linger on," he said.

One of those incidents where you can point your fingers at both sides and say that it's their fault.

I was in my Pre-Teens and hated Dravid's decision. The lack of communication between the management and the batsman on the Pitch was appalling to say the least.

To this day, i feel Dravid's decision was bizarre to say the least particularly if he said that he'd declare with 15 overs remaining and then didn't stick with that. Also, like the OP stated, Sachin wasn't batting slowly. That being said, Dravid is the last player in the Indian team i'd accuse of any wrong doing. Most probably an error on his part which was sorted out between the two legends.

18 hours ago, radhika said:

I wish somebody had the guts to do something on March 16th 2012 ,Bangladesh .The Match that defines personal milestones.

Yes, a batsman struggling for form for months, who couldn't put bat to ball but was trying to fight. Kohli was with him and was playing even slower. This is the worst thing about some Dravid fans, constantly attacking Sachin. Sachin fans can point to a 100 Dravid snail matches we lost.

Completely ignore that 293 against Bangla should have been defended. Completely ignore that Kohli was batting even slower on same wicket. Completely ignore that Sachin was struggling for form and timing both before and during the match. But take cheap shots after cheap shots. When Dravid struggles it is the way he plays. When Sachin struggles for one of the few times in his history, he is selfish. Forget that he was playing the same patchy way throughout the innings and was unable to hit out

Edited by New guy
18 hours ago, Masquerade said:

I think if Dravid had really told him that he would only declare with 15 overs left, then he's at fault for declaring 2 overs earlier. It's important to have a winning mentality but you shouldn't break promises.

What is really shocking though is how quickly Ganguly and the coach seemed to go behind Dravid's back to save themselves. Like Tendulkar, I find it very hard to believe they weren't privy to any decision. Classic case of them just trying to save themselves from the backlash that would occur. That's real selfishness in this case.

amazing how much of a backlash generator Tendulkar is, thats gives a window into how the dressing room must have been. Godly undies, godly gear, gods corner, gods ipod, gods idea of workout,gods priorities etc.

4 hours ago, New guy said:

Yes, a batsman struggling for form for months, who couldn't put bat to ball but was trying to fight. Kohli was with him and was playing even slower. This is the worst thing about some Dravid fans, constantly attacking Sachin. Sachin fans can point to a 100 Dravid snail matches we lost.

Completely ignore that 293 against Bangla should have been defended. Completely ignore that Kohli was batting even slower on same wicket. Completely ignore that Sachin was struggling for form and timing both before and during the match. But take cheap shots after cheap shots. When Dravid struggles it is the way he plays. When Sachin struggles for one of the few times in his history, he is selfish. Forget that he was playing the same patchy way throughout the innings and was unable to hit out

when sachin fails blame everyone else ..

when the team fails blame dhoni ..

:sad:

noone can deny sachins selfish knock to get his 100th 100 , and deep down you know you can defend it ..

1 hour ago, velu said:

when sachin fails blame everyone else ..

when the team fails blame dhoni ..

:sad:

noone can deny sachins selfish knock to get his 100th 100 , and deep down you know you can defend it ..

That knock costed India the tournament actually iirc. It was Asia cup and we could not reach the finals having beaten Pakistan.

15 hours ago, New guy said:

How was he struggling in that innings? He got his first 50 in 63 balls. Second 50 took 74 more balls. Most batsmen who score ODI 100s get their second 50 faster since they are already set. A clear case of slowing down to get to 100.  As soon as he got to 100, he hit two back to back fours. So, its not like he could not put bat to ball. The damage was already done by then.