Why do players like Ashwin or Laxman hardly get any brand endorsements compared to Kohli and earlier Sachin?

http://www.livemint.com/Consumer/naIM47nMKp6TUYu4szHSqJ/Latest-Rs1cr-deal-makes-Dada-crickets-No-2-brand-man.html

Ganguly’s latest endorsement agreement is believed to be worth Rs1 crore, according to people with knowledge of the deal. It takes Ganguly’s earnings for this year to about Rs12.5 crore from 11 sponsors.

Industry estimates place Tendulkar ahead with Rs20 crore annually from 12 brands, with Dravid earning between Rs10-12 crore from 11 sponsors. The trio is followed by wicketkeeper Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Yuvraj Singh and Virender Sehwag, who earn Rs5-Rs7 crore each.

And this article was from March 2007 when Ganguly was making a comeback into the Indian team and Dravid value was probably at his peak considering he was Indian captain in both formats and on the verge of leading Indian team into 2007 world cup.

Uh no, those random web links pulling net worth figures out of their orifices do not substitute for fact. Outlook magazine used to run an annual feature on celebrity endorsement, not sure if they still do, and it always had Dravid after Sachin year after year. Dravid simply had a much larger fan base.

Surely you have not followed much of 90s cricket. Till 1996, Sachin was the only superstar in Indian cricket. From 97-01, Ganguly was one of the best ODI bats in the world and was giving competition to Sachin as well. Dravid was not that a huge name in late 90s and eventually got dropped from the side in 98. Indian cricket back then had 2 superstars - Sachin and Saurav. Then once Ganguly took over the captaincy, his fan following increased due to his aggressive nature. Dravid obviously was a much bigger batsman than Ganguly but due to more charisma later had a bigger fan following.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Ashwin has lot of female followers.  I think you need to have certain personality international appeal . It is beyond performance.  If Usain Bolt had been a meek guy he would not have go so many endorsements.

Ashwin earns nearly twice as much as the likes of Rohit lol.

Ashwin is the 4th highest brand valued cricketer behind Dhoni, Kohli and Sachin .

https://m.yahoo.com/w/cricket/albumdetail?id=cc405530-7033-11e6-b385-cf749c5d99cb&iid=5&.ts=1482635899&.intl=US&.lang=en

On 12/23/2016 at 3:39 PM, Soorma_Bhopali said:

Although Ashwin has been made ICC player of the year and ICC  Test cricketer of the year , why is his brand appeal still zero compared to a Kohli or even Jadeja..Are the companies biased towards a batsman or someone with skills plus showman qualities

I don't think it has anything to do with being a batsman. More a function of the product mix and the market they are trying to influence. May also have a lot to do with the popular image of the cricketer.

14 minutes ago, fineleg said:

@Mariyam switch from msd to ashwin

Thing is, one remembers moments of magic

For instance, Dhoni has:

The winning 6 in the world cup final

The run out against Bangladesh when for the last 1 run they had 3 wickets in T20 WC.

Run out against Ross Taylor.

Just from memory. 

Can't recollect any such moment of magic, from Ashwin. Consistency may win you awards, it doesn't win you fans. At least not the cricket naive ones like me.

Edited by Mariyam

Tbh I remember only two ash moments. One the champions trophy final over which we won. Second afridi smashing him for 6 in Asia cup last over.

UV I remember for broad over and the innings v Australia in the semis. Also for that terrible innings he played in the finals of 2014. Pulled my hair out it was that terrible. Every ball he wasted was painful

For all the comments that test cricket is real cricket most of my memories are limited overs based. Test cricket wise sehwag really made an impact. That innings in Multan and that innings in chennai post 2008 mumbai attacks. I remember both. For some reason can't really remember too much else on clarity. I know I watched kumble taking 10 sachin century at chennai and dravid laxman partnership in 2001. But details are foggy.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk