BJP MP Udit Raj set to request Prime Minister to introduce quota system in cricket

tweaker

1 hour ago, Vilander said:

India is a shit hole because of this govt authorized systematized discrimination based on caste.   Two wrongs can never make a right, they need to ensure merit is the only criteria, but give as many training opportunities as possible for the needy.

I think there in lay the problem. I see that throwaway line a lot. This is not just cricket but a general comment I have.

1% of Indians pay direct taxes. India has a low tax to GDP ratio. Where is the money to take care of the needy? So people(lets say segments of society who are well off who also happen to not qualify for reservation)  want merit to exist yet at the same time wont really contribute much for the government to facilitate that. So how exactly are these training opportunities going to be implemented? 

The problem with the argument of purely merit is that it assumes that all people stand as being equal as a starting point. Now obviously no society on earth has such a situation whereby everybody is equal. In the UK 5 counties contribute to vast majority of Oxford and Cambridge student. Within those counties 40 specific schools (which all happen to be private charging about 15,000 a year) are represented. Thats despite a welfare state which people do pay their taxes.

But in India social mobility is extremely poor. Its not even a level playing field. A degree of social engineering is not the worst thing in the world. IMO needs to be a balance. I am all for an incremental increase. 1 place per ranji team reserves for the SC/ST candidates. Will force state boards to build said facilities to find people. 

I also reiterate, that considering we have Umesh the son of a miner who is not really high caste coming through is a sign that Indian cricket is naturally changing to be more representative. But these measures will IMO accelerate that process.

17 hours ago, WC2011INDIA said:

none of them are from the bottom of the caste hierarchy as well.

Caste based system is too simplistic. There are poor and rich people in every cast whether they are SC or STs. In our area, STs are some of the most prosperous people. You will find them in every possible space still they enjoy full benefits of quota system. While very few SCs realize how quota system can benefit them and they are slowly being converted to Christianity.

Edited by rkt.india
On 12/31/2016 at 6:44 AM, BeautifulGame said:

We also see lot of rich kids who get MBBS through donation ,u should actually be shuddering more about them in reality.

MBBS has become so costly in India that even the term merit is non existent.

That's why reservations should consider economic status and not caste. The poor should get scholarships for higher education. 

Personally staggered that some people on the first page are supporting this. It's an absurdly ridiculous move and will mean the death of Indian Cricket. I'll stop supporting the team if that happens. 

This was the only reason why SA lost the semis against NZ btw. Due to this bollocks, they had to play an unfit Philander in place of Abbott or Mclaren and thus the team suffered. 

On 31/12/2016 at 6:14 PM, BeautifulGame said:

We also see lot of rich kids who get MBBS through donation ,u should actually be shuddering more about them in reality.

MBBS has become so costly in India that even the term merit is non existent.

I agree, but buying a seat and getting though reservation wont get someone too far. May be MD or MS. Rest of the career entirely depends on merit and talent. I have seen so many different exhibits.

Similarly, an undeserving quota player can get a spot in the team, but eventually he will get exposed on field.

12 hours ago, Texan said:

That's why reservations should consider economic status and not caste. The poor should get scholarships for higher education. 

Economic status is not easy to validate. People always hide incomes. If reservation were based on economic status, most people would under report their household incomes.

1 minute ago, Mariyam said:

Economic status is not easy to validate. People always hide incomes. If reservation were based on economic status, most people would under report their household incomes.

There are people who are rich but still take benefits of backward classes and people who are converted to other religions don't change religion on paper but get benefits for conversion and still use reservations.

On 12/31/2016 at 0:12 PM, jf1gp_1 said:

Completely endorse  Udit Raj  views however such radical ideas should first be tried at domestic level. So Mr Raj please first introduce such a lovely thought in IPL i bet most team owners will be trilled to put quota over merit. Once you do it at IPL then by all means introduce it to international level. 

How can the GoI enforce this on the IPL? The IPL is basically a private tournament.

The maximum the GoI can do, is try to enforce this comical rule on the state cricket board aided tournaments.

On 1/1/2017 at 7:27 PM, G_B_ said:

I think there in lay the problem. I see that throwaway line a lot. This is not just cricket but a general comment I have.

1% of Indians pay direct taxes. India has a low tax to GDP ratio. Where is the money to take care of the needy? So people(lets say segments of society who are well off who also happen to not qualify for reservation)  want merit to exist yet at the same time wont really contribute much for the government to facilitate that. So how exactly are these training opportunities going to be implemented? 

The problem with the argument of purely merit is that it assumes that all people stand as being equal as a starting point. Now obviously no society on earth has such a situation whereby everybody is equal. In the UK 5 counties contribute to vast majority of Oxford and Cambridge student. Within those counties 40 specific schools (which all happen to be private charging about 15,000 a year) are represented. Thats despite a welfare state which people do pay their taxes.

But in India social mobility is extremely poor. Its not even a level playing field. A degree of social engineering is not the worst thing in the world. IMO needs to be a balance. I am all for an incremental increase. 1 place per ranji team reserves for the SC/ST candidates. Will force state boards to build said facilities to find people. 

I also reiterate, that considering we have Umesh the son of a miner who is not really high caste coming through is a sign that Indian cricket is naturally changing to be more representative. But these measures will IMO accelerate that process.

There is nothing throw away about insisting on merit, provide learning opportunities but award based on merit. And you seem to drop lot of terms social engineering? In sociological sense i think, so you are saying its really for greater good of India.  Its just a political tool at this point there is not much good coming out of it other than reverse cast system sc st rich doctor families sc st adarsh scamers etc lol social tool haha

One place for sc st half place for meen gujars half place for yadavs.. Hehe then 1 for muslims also. 

Is this a surprise really? What haven't the jokers put reservation in? Schools, professional programs, political seats. The "great economist" erstwhile PM advocates private sector reservation. :facepalm:This BJP MP clown might as well join the idiots in the SC and ruin cricket as well. Next up will be army reservation, some religious leader was suggesting/demanding it on one of the English prime time debates last year. 

India will become a case study in the future: "The Death of Merit"

I have a feeling this is going to be implemented soon. Many new faces will be seen...question is if the respective team captains have a particular mindset about those from lower castes and whether that player will feel like an equal in the dressing room.

Edited by WC2011INDIA