Can Bhuvi be relied on as a batsman for India not to pick Ash/Jaddu

G_B_

I think he can be tried in tests for such a role. His batting numbers in the last Test series in England are comparable/better than Ashwin/Jadeja's overseas batting. 

Pandya

Bhuvi

Spinner

Shami

Yadav

This would be a good enough batting lower order.

We need to select 1 spinner of Jadeja/Ashwin/Kuldeep/Jayant primarily based on who is the best possible spinner in those conditions. All four are decent enough with the bat that selection should be based on actual bowling ability, IMO.   

I dont think he can be termed as an all rounder in ODIs because he doesnt have the range of shots or the big shots to be effective like Pandya or even Jaddu. He is similar to Ashwin in that regard. I think he can do much better in tests as a batsman than LOIs but he should earn his place as a bowler rather than for his batting lower down the order.

some knee jerk reactions working at best...what next ? if Bhuvi fails in next 2  ODI inns he should be suddenly dropped and some new face should be selected.Isn't it?  The team management knows the simple fact that each & every single match  the team plays cannot be won.The likes of Jadeja  are proven players who avg: over 30 with the bat in  one dayers.I suppose that the team follows horses for courses theory and the likes of Jadeja are a part of that  plan in the long run.

1 hour ago, rtmohanlal said:

The likes of Jadeja  are proven players who avg: over 30 with the bat in  one dayers.

Jadeja bats at 8 in ODIs, used to bat at 7 earlier .... but has a low SR of 85 for those positions

ODIs have evolved and high SR batters are needed from 5 to 8 .... like we are seeing with Hardik ( 130 ) and Jadhav ( 113 ).

This is the primary reason Jadeja was demoted from 7 to 8.

23 hours ago, G_B_ said:

Did it in SL and now did it today

was impressed with his batting. Picked the gaps well with some textbook shots

Bhuvi has been a decent bat in tests for a while. Check his performances the last time he got to play a full tour away from home - i.e. England.   

Edit:  ODIs, I think he's fine at #9, I don't think you can expect him to even match Jadeja's level of hitting output.  He might get an odd good day here and there.  But let's not get carried away.  He's no mug with the bat, but not going to be a guy who can get you multiple boundaries against quality bowlers on  any sort of consistent basis.

Edited by sandeep