Ganguly- Manjrekar behaved so differently with a young player

Ganguly in the book also revealed how he was demotivated and targeted by one of India’s legendary cricketers without saying his name. According to Ganguly, the legendary player felt that Ganguly didn’t deserve to be in the squad that toured Australia in 1991-92 season. Ganguly in the book writes that he was taken aback by the statement of the legendary cricketer who even named a Delhi player who deserved to be in the squad than Ganguly.

Ganguly mentioned that the way he was treated on the tour was very unfortunate. Ganguly went on the tour as a batsman who can bowl a bit but he didn’t get an opportunity to bat, even in the nets as he was bowling to the batsman of the side as a bowler throughout the tournament.

The tour saw Indian batters flatten against the Aussie quicks. Ganguly who did not get a game on the tour revealed how Sanjay Manjereakr failed miserably on the tour after brilliant outings against Pakistan and West Indies.

Ganguly in the book reveals that during a side game, Manjrekar lashed out at him and suggested that he needs to behave properly and that his attitude needed to improve. According to Ganguly, he was taken aback and was confused as to what made Manjrekar furious and say whatever he said.

Gangly further says that Manjrekar is a good friend and a loving fellow commentator but he is still not sure why Manjrekar behaved so differently with a young player like him who was on his first tour. Ganguly felt that he didn’t deserve that kind of treatment.

Now that Ganguly has named Manjrekar as one of the members of the side who was harsh on him, It would be interesting to see If Manrekar responds and lets Ganguly know why he behaved so differently.

https://www.crictracker.com/sourav-ganguly-reveals-he-was-treated-badly-on-his-first-tour-in-1992/

My guess Ganguly's selection was questionable.  He was like a frightened turtle facing the bowlers in the one match i saw. He was totally out of his depth. That is why we were all shocked when he unfurled gorgeous shots on his way to his debut 100 in England. It was a contrast from what we saw in Australia. There were rumours Ganguly got into the squad due to influence. Kambli had a decent season. Manjrekar was in raging form coming into Australia where everyone got exposed on fast pitches except Sachin.

10 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Ganguly in the book also revealed how he was demotivated and targeted by one of India’s legendary cricketers without saying his name. According to Ganguly, the legendary player felt that Ganguly didn’t deserve to be in the squad that toured Australia in 1991-92 season. Ganguly in the book writes that he was taken aback by the statement of the legendary cricketer who even named a Delhi player who deserved to be in the squad than Ganguly.

Ganguly mentioned that the way he was treated on the tour was very unfortunate. Ganguly went on the tour as a batsman who can bowl a bit but he didn’t get an opportunity to bat, even in the nets as he was bowling to the batsman of the side as a bowler throughout the tournament.

The tour saw Indian batters flatten against the Aussie quicks. Ganguly who did not get a game on the tour revealed how Sanjay Manjereakr failed miserably on the tour after brilliant outings against Pakistan and West Indies.

Ganguly in the book reveals that during a side game, Manjrekar lashed out at him and suggested that he needs to behave properly and that his attitude needed to improve. According to Ganguly, he was taken aback and was confused as to what made Manjrekar furious and say whatever he said.

Gangly further says that Manjrekar is a good friend and a loving fellow commentator but he is still not sure why Manjrekar behaved so differently with a young player like him who was on his first tour. Ganguly felt that he didn’t deserve that kind of treatment.

Now that Ganguly has named Manjrekar as one of the members of the side who was harsh on him, It would be interesting to see If Manrekar responds and lets Ganguly know why he behaved so differently.

https://www.crictracker.com/sourav-ganguly-reveals-he-was-treated-badly-on-his-first-tour-in-1992/

That legendary man was Kapil Dev

10 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

My guess Ganguly's selection was questionable.  He was like a frightened turtle facing the bowlers in the one match i saw. He was totally out of his depth. That is why we were all shocked when he unfurled gorgeous shots on his way to his debut 100 in England. It was a contrast from what we saw in Australia. There were rumours Ganguly got into the squad due to influence. Kambli had a decent season. Manjrekar was in raging form coming into Australia where everyone got exposed on fast pitches except Sachin.

The tour was anyways marred by sindhu's walk out. Ganguly was always portrayed as spoilt brat who used a lot a influence via dalmiya so yes it was shocking to see these two young guys do so well. Dravid missed a 100 by few runs in the same test. 

14 hours ago, King Tendulkar said:

It being funny . But quite often young people need the hair dryer treatment sometimes , not just kissed and cuddles 

Over the years Ganguly had his own hair dryer which he used to good effect 

14 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Except Sachin and Azhar. Azhar got a century too

Ganguly has demonstrated his saltiness about a lot of things - and is well-known to have a huge ego.  When a batsman in his late 30s who was batting at less than 70 SR for multiple years, and shoring up his average against weaker bowling units i.e. on the decline - expresses surprise and anger at being dropped from the team - you know he lacks the capacity to be objective when it comes to his own selection and treatment.  

Lot of respect for Sourav for some the policies he personally pushed for as Captain.  But too often Indian fans seem to have an either "with him or against him" mentality when it comes to player support.  Not all characters are black and white - in fact, almost all of them are gray.  

5 hours ago, GolGappe said:

Should have lost captaincy and his spot in ODI team after Pakistan drew test series in India and thumped India 4-2 in one-dayers.

If memory serves me right, that was John Wright's last series as India's coach.

Chappell did this Chappell did that but majority of Ganguly's problems were self-inflicted.

This. Chappell was a divisive figure and I believe he rightfully dropped Ganguly back then who was terribly out of form.

On 3/4/2018 at 7:17 PM, sandeep said:

Ganguly has demonstrated his saltiness about a lot of things - and is well-known to have a huge ego.  When a batsman in his late 30s who was batting at less than 70 SR for multiple years, and shoring up his average against weaker bowling units i.e. on the decline - expresses surprise and anger at being dropped from the team - you know he lacks the capacity to be objective when it comes to his own selection and treatment.  

Lot of respect for Sourav for some the policies he personally pushed for as Captain.  But too often Indian fans seem to have an either "with him or against him" mentality when it comes to player support.  Not all characters are black and white - in fact, almost all of them are gray.  

Great post. There is no simple narrative with any sports person especially Indian cricketers who have long career. 

Ganguly had attitude issues when he came when he was known to look down upon carrying drinks saying I have servants at my home to do all this. The same attitude also helped him to show fight against other teams and inject much needed aggression. He really let guys like yuvraj sehwag and bhajji express themselves. 

Comes out very articulate, 

http://www.openthemagazine.com/article/open-conversation/sourav-ganguly-under-me-players-weren-t-picked-and-dropped-at-my-whim-and-fancy

Some insight into how it was to to captain Dravid, Tendulkar, VVSL and Kumble. Wish Kohli had that kind of a team.

Sourav Ganguly: ‘Under me, players weren’t picked and dropped at my whim and fancy’

The current Indian captain is known for his aggression and being authoritative as a leader—traits first brought into the Indian dressing room when you took over. What are your thoughts on his captaincy style?

I’m a Virat Kohli fan. But I will ask him the next time I meet him, ‘Every time a wicket falls, who do you show your fist to?’ I honestly don’t know. Maybe towards you guys in the press (laughs). But I will surely make a note to ask him because even I want to know.

Whatever Virat does, both as player and captain, I think he has got the good of Indian cricket at heart. And in my opinion, Indian cricket needs him as captain at the moment. The players are young and Virat shoulders the team. Just look at this recent ODI series in South Africa. The others chipped in—a fifty here, a fifty there. But we won because of Virat’s three hundreds. That kind of consistency is ridiculous. I love Virat Kohli. He has taken Indian cricket to new heights.

Heading seems like he is telling something to somebody. 

Edited by coffee_rules
18 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Some insight into how it was to to captain Dravid, Tendulkar, VVSL and Kumble. Wish Kohli had that kind of a team.

Virat does have his own team of Dravids / VVS/Kumbles in Vijay/Rahane/Bhuvi... only he has to allow them their own space instead of forcing his impetuousness