Getting booed at Lord's on the day when you reached 10k mark - has any other batsman experienced such low in career?

Which are other comparable scenarios? Has any other player faced such himiliation? Generally no matter how bad things are going, this is time when batsmen would be applauded by crowd, but getting booed that too at Lord's on a day of achievement..., not sure how Dhoni will be feeling.

MS Dhoni was booed for the first time in his career. And he was booed on a day when he became the fourth Indian to get to the 10,000-run mark in one-day internationals. And he was booed at the Mecca of cricket - at Lord's.

Sachin Tendulkar got booed in a test match at his own home ground. Kapil Dev's team had trash thrown at them for losing badly to the mighty West Indies barely few months after the world cup win. It is sad for Dhoni and the team that he reached the landmark in a match which they lost terribly and his timid batting didn't help either. Even the mightiest of champions get humiliated on the field, and Dhoni is no exception.

2 minutes ago, Adi_91 said:

Yes, but when you shamelessly hang on to your career despite being well past your prime, then it is not rocket science to understand that it’s time to go.

A much younger and in form De Villiers quit when everyone wondered why whereas Indian players behave as if a place in the team is like a movie role with "just one hit and I will be back to the top" mentality. Strangely enough, the loudest has been supporter uncle Shastri retired at the age of just 32. Even Sanju Manju retired at 32-33. For once they made a sensible decision. 

2 minutes ago, nevada said:

A much younger and in form De Villiers quit when everyone wondered why whereas Indian players behave as if a place in the team is like a movie role with "just one hit and I will be back to the top" mentality. Strangely enough, the loudest has been supporter uncle Shastri retired at the age of just 32. Even Sanju Manju retired at 32-33. For once they made a sensible decision. 

Well Sanju Manju retired because he was plain pathetic in International Cricket. Dhoni, just like our movie star culture, doesn’t want to leave stardom and space in cricket eyeballs.

What else can be more shameful!

8 minutes ago, nevada said:

I wonder if the constant "Shastri hai hai" chants might have had something to do with it :p:. Sanju Manju saw the writing on the wall once Dravid and Ganguly established themselves as first choice. 

Fans did the right thing by booing and jeering him , are they fools to have payed so much money to watch this farce ?

Dhoni is just embarrassing himself by playing further ,and I can't believe an above average player like Msd is so hyped that he is untouchable and beyond crictisicm !! 

Even Sachin,kapil (who are miles better than dhoni as a cricketer ) were subjected to dense criticism 

Gavaskar was booked at Eden

The following year in the Test against England he was back as captain but this time he was a villain even before he took the field. Kapil Dev had been dropped from the Test squad ostensibly because of a rash stroke he played in the previous game at Delhi which India had lost quite unexpectedly. It was the selection committee that took the decision but cricket followers in Calcutta could only see Gavaskar’s hand in the sacking. He became an instant villain and was booed, subjected to indecent language and the final indignity came in the form of fruit and rubbish thrown at him. The crowd had not taken kindly to Gavaskar depriving them of the pleasure of watching the country’s leading all rounder in action as they were convinced.

Then Gavaskar in a perverse action continued the Indian innings till after lunch on the fourth day after rain had restricted play on the second day to only about 20 minutes. His action was seen as a possible retaliation against the Calcutta crowd for the indignities he and his wife had to endure the previous year. Finally he declared the innings closed after it was reported that police officials had warned Gavaskar that there would be a serious law and order situation if he did not.

http://www.thecitizen.in/index.php/en/newsdetail/index/11/12440/gavaskars-love-hate-relationship-with-eden-gardens

SRT was booed at Wankhede

MUMBAI: On Sunday, for the first time in 17 years, Sachin Tendulkar was booed, that too in Mumbai, his home town.

After spending a struggling 34 minutes on the crease, he was dismissed for just one run, edging a delivery which a man of his class would ordinarily leave alone.

But these were not ordinary circumstances. He was battling to get out of that lean patch in the longer version of the game.

However, even on his home ground, he had little success. And this time, part of the crowd didn’t take to it too kindly.

“It’s a very sad day for cricket. It’s not correct that such a great player is put through this,” said Lalchand Rajput, former Indian cricketer and secretary of the Mumbai Cricket Association. “However, knowing Sachin, the jeers from the crowd will only spur him on to put on a big score in the second innings.”

http://www.dnaindia.com/sports/report-unbelievable-mumbai-crowds-boo-sachin-tendulkar-1018955

6 hours ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

I wonder if the constant "Shastri hai hai" chants might have had something to do with it :p:. Sanju Manju saw the writing on the wall once Dravid and Ganguly established themselves as first choice. 

Also Sanju Manju got the enlightenment that he is entitled to greater things than just playing cricket, like entertaining (read torturing) the Indian public with his commentary skills and life experiences.

Dhoni needs to understand that every sportsperson comes with an expiry date. As one of his biggest fan, I want to remember MS as the great leader who gave us so many great moments to rejoice. And not a old struggling player who gets booed in a foreign country. :sad_smile:

I sincerely don't understand his motivation to continue playing for India. He has done and achieved everything, now its (high) time to pass the baton to some younger keepers.

#PleaseRetire #YourFan

6 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Dhoni needs to understand that every sportsperson comes with an expiry date. As one of his biggest fan, I want to remember MS as the great leader who gave us so many great moments to rejoice. And not a old struggling player who gets booed in a foreign country. :sad_smile:

I sincerely don't understand his motivation to continue playing for India. He has done and achieved everything, now its (high) time to pass the baton to some younger keepers.

#PleaseRetire #YourFan

I appreciate the fact that at least you are not a blind chamcha like that shunya IQ poster and that coward sidhoni who still wants dhoni to continue even in the international t20s:facepalm:

14 minutes ago, kira said:

I appreciate the fact that at least you are not a blind chamcha like that shunya IQ poster and that coward sidhoni who still wants dhoni to continue even in the international t20s:facepalm:

Cant really blame any posters because as a fan...everyone want their favorite players to continue. Blame should go to captain and coach. They should take a definitive call but I am afraid they are not working for the best interest of the nation. When MS was captain, he removed all aged expired cricketers post 2011 WC. He knew what is best for the country and acted according to it. But if Captain himself is goody goody emotional type, players are bound to take advantage.

Edited by Austin 3:!6