Would we have won had Jadeja played instead of Umesh?

SecondSlip

Playing 2 spinners in Lord's wasn't a wrong move either.

1. First we made a mistake of selecting Kuldeep ahead of Jaddu who would have been tight.

2. Lord's would have spun later on but our batting was so pathetic that we didn't even last till the pitch took turn.

The only place where 2 spinners (or even a single spinner) was not needed was Joberg. But then Pandya was a total passenger there with a grand total of 4 runs (across 2 innings) and bowling 8 overs across 2 innings. So the 5th bowler would have been irrelevant there regardless of who we picked (not that I am saying we shouldn't have gone with the 5th bowler).

Edited by sensible-indian

Most of the matches for India have been close due to a good group of pacers and i for one dont think that having 2 spinners would have helped us.

I wouldnt have played Jaddu considering Aussies have 7 Lefties and i have seen multiple times that our spinners wont have the same impact as say a Aussie spinner. So, dont go by the theory that our spinner would have also performed brilliantly ala Lyon.

Only problem this test was openers and Umesh. 

Bhuvi would have helped us with batting as well a better control but spinner dont think would have helped.

6 hours ago, R!TTER said:

No, we needed better batting & bowling. Our only chance, batting 2nd here, was if we bowled out Aus for under 300 in the first & 200 in the second innings. We needed better openers as well as tail to be assured of a win.

Jaddu in Umesh's spot would have easily reduced Aus 1st innings total by 40 odd runs.  And reduced the deficit if you factor in any runs from his batting.

34 minutes ago, gattaca said:

Weren’t you against spinner when I talked about it ? 

You seem to have confused me with someone else.  I was pushing for jaddu well before the game started, ahead of even Bhuvi - a player i'm super biased about - because I wanted a spinner in the XI for Perth.  

No because more than bowling scoring runs was the issue. People need to put that in their head. We lost by over 150 runs. If batsman don’t acore runs, then you can’t win. Our openers did not add any runs in both the innjgns. Thats like 4 cheap wickets in the game to aussies from our top order.  You can’t win like that even if you have world class bowlers. 

the only scope to win the series by winning the remaining 2 games is to  take  high risks . For a start , now that it is clear  that this team can't bat  at all , the way forward is to fill players who can put runs as much as possible. Similarly spinners need to played(play to our strengths than that of opponents). Kuldeep & Jadeja  should be played.

Edited by rtmohanlal
4 hours ago, Cricketics said:

No because more than bowling scoring runs was the issue. People need to put that in their head. We lost by over 150 runs. If batsman don’t acore runs, then you can’t win. Our openers did not add any runs in both the innjgns. Thats like 4 cheap wickets in the game to aussies from our top order.  You can’t win like that even if you have world class bowlers. 

This ^^^^ x10000. Runs were the issue and openers in particular.

28 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

We lost by 140 runs, jaddu wnt have made much diff 

Difference doesn't decrease linearly. A 40 runs lead translateso to 70 runs in 4th inning.

With Jadeja India would have easily saved 30-40 runs in first inning, 15-20 runs in 2nd inning, probably added 15-20 extra in first inning. Chasing 200-210 could have been completely different scenario. India might have lost even then, but then mentality is different.

Having said that all these are could have, would have been scenarios even though something similar happened in first test.