Isn't Kane Williamson bit overhyped?

Nikola

We talk about root being overhyped but totally ignore kane who has milked his most runs vs avg/poor sides. Root atleast has done good in odis.

Kane Williamson (In odis)

image.png.0619ce063cd58a93d7fad623426351f1.png

Avg stats vs most sides except England. Harmless strike rate in odis.

xQNEa9G.jpg

Kane Williamson (In tests)

RPjrNyA.jpg

I know these are decent test & odi stats so he should not be called overrated but i am saying this because he is considered as part of fab four and everyone in fab four has done something to be part of it. Smith had great worldcup & test run in india/eng & sa (2014). Agree smith has been downwards in odis since worldcup but he still has proven his worth to be part of fab 4. Root is called overrated by many so Kane should be definitely overrated too. Discuss.

image.png

Edited by Nikola
3 minutes ago, Nikola said:

@Cricketics @gattaca @Adi BB @zen @sandeep I know you can say these are hand picked stats but kane is one of the few players who might end up as one of the greats by end of his career so i think these stats do suggest something else to me.

Since its discussion from match thread. Here is my post.

His stats are fine. He plays anchor role in the middle and carry the weight of the team and the country and does fine. Not that NZ side have had any consistent players barring Taylor.

They all play around each other and no one becomes star in their team. Thats how NZ team culture has been. They don’t have any outstanding ODI consistent players like Rohit or Kohli. They have excellent talents who have impact on the resurls and who often can go Inconsistent.

Be it the older NZ sides with Nathan Astle or current side.

Williamson is doing the job for them still. Yes, not the best ODI bat in the world but still quality. His averages there aren’t bad at all against Aus and India. Infact his average is lower against weaker odi teams. Overall a fine player

1 minute ago, Cricketics said:

Since its discussion from match thread. Here is my post.

His stats are fine. He plays anchor role in the middle and carry the weight of the team and the country and does fine. Not that NZ side have had any consistent players barring Taylor.

They all play around each other and no one becomes star in their team. Thats how NZ team culture has been. They don’t have any outstanding ODI consistent players like Rohit or Kohli. They have excellent talents who have impact on the resurls and who often can go Inconsistent.

Be it the older NZ sides with Nathan Astle or current side.

Williamson is doing the job for them still. Yes, not the best ODI bat in the world but still quality. His averages there aren’t bad at all against Aus and India. Infact his average is lower against weaker odi teams. Overall a fine player

Yeah but i included bit more stats even for test format. I agree he might be decent for NZ side but is he worth the hype broadcaster of fans make? Is he worth to be part of fab 4?

1 minute ago, Texan said:

LoL. He just played match winning knocks in the final Test vs Pak to beat Pak in UAE (an extremely difficult task) and win series and you say he is overrated. Duh!

Agree that was great knock but those knock haven't come against top sides mostly. He has ability and technique wise he might be best from fab four but his performance in certain conditions against certain side has been pretty poor.

10 minutes ago, Nikola said:

Agree that was great knock but those knock haven't come against top sides mostly. He has ability and technique wise he might be best from fab four but his performance in certain conditions against certain side has been pretty poor.

Can you list match winning 100s by other batsmen against top sides outside home?

13 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Can you list match winning 100s by other batsmen against top sides outside home?

It's not about match winning 100s as winning depends on how team performs. I was talking about general stats. He don't even have alot runs in lost/drawn matches.

Edited by Nikola
2 hours ago, rtmohanlal said:

why this overrate/under  rate thing? Kane has superb all round records in  both prime formats which is a matter of greatness in itself.

Whether Kohli/Root/Smith or any other is better or not to him is another matter altogether.

I have seen fans saying root is overrated cricketer which actually might be true but then they say kane williamson is underrated. If you actually see his stats or performance in key matches it has been pretty avg. He plays impact less cricket in odis many times. Even in tests he has very few good innings to be named in fab four.

On 1/28/2019 at 4:27 AM, Trichromatic said:

You should mention 3rd Innings Hundred..Laxman scored a 96 odd against S Africa in Durban , in 3rd Innings..Till this date that is the best 3rd innings scored by an Indian in foreign conditions where India won..the pitch was a seamers paradise..he would have scored a hundred if only he didnt have no 11 on the opposite end..

Another one for your records is Dilip Vengsarkar - 102, 2nd test 3rd Innings,in Headingley Leeds 1986 ..India won 

Brush up before commenting