33-34 yr olds taking the place of 20-22 yr olds in Team India

12 hours ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

So after Rohit became the opener and thereby shutting the door on Shaw and likely Gill, now Saha has replaced Pant.

This is a pathetic system.

Its taking away the interest of fans like me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Why do you care decisively about age so much ? Like I disagree with all of them too, due to qualitative and performance issues, not age. Who cares how old they are, if they offer a superior result, so be it. I’d rather have a 35 year old Warney than a 22 year old Bhajji...

1 hour ago, Muloghonto said:

Why do you care decisively about age so much ? Like I disagree with all of them too, due to qualitative and performance issues, not age. Who cares how old they are, if they offer a superior result, so be it. I’d rather have a 35 year old Warney than a 22 year old Bhajji...

if it warne vs Bhajji then age does not matter.But if there are two comparable players of which tthe younger player is far better batsman and I rather have younger one keep imporving his keeping.

You don't get better by being 12th man. You cannot go from first choice WK in all formats to out in all formats in matter of one month.

5 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

That would be fine if the choice presents a talent differential in your case Warne vs Bhajji. Saha over Pant and Rohit over Shaw is ridiculous. It screams old boys network rather than a team

52 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

That would be fine if the choice presents a talent differential in your case Warne vs Bhajji. Saha over Pant and Rohit over Shaw is ridiculous. It screams old boys network rather than a team

Yes and that’s a qualitative argument. My point was to demonstrate age being a factor which the OP did. Like it’s a crime to be olds in sports or sports should be for young people only mentality 

I just have one question for Virat. During selection of WC 11 team how would he have felt if VVS was brought back ahead of him or not played him in home series right after the disaster tour of england ?

Virat had fairly ordinary ODI record going into wc11, he only made it thanks to beating the crap out of SL bowlers. 

such a  regressing trait from the team fortunes point of view.  An extremely talented   rookie like Pant because of being so young can  play with a care free attitude  and there by   built in a great platform  with in the first 3 or4 years itself as has been evident with him as of now . From then on , he can build on  this  platform to achieve greater heights . Even if  some dip in form occurs thru the way , he can draw inspiration from his own past  track record .This is what exactly happend with Sachin. His career was almost finished by 2007, but he  constructed an absolute  pruple patch in the period 2007-2011 from  the confidence of his past track record.

With  33-34 year old  proven mediocrities, the case is exactly the opposite. That is the difference.

1 hour ago, New guy said:

No, into t20 wc. Kohli has never liked saha in the past and preferred keepers who could not. Now suddenly a u turn?

The plan is clearly to have Pant dropped from all format and demotivated and sneak in Dhon for t20 wc

Are people acting naive here?

Kohli has only praises for Saha's keeping in the last 2 years.. Dig into old news threads...

As much as I hate Pant being dropped, all this talk about Kohli conspiracy is BS.   Saha was the first choice keeper until his injury.. It is not unjustified to bring him back after his recovery... It just sucks that Pant has to be dropped for that..

4 hours ago, rtmohanlal said:

such a  regressing trait from the team fortunes point of view.  An extremely talented   rookie like Pant because of being so young can  play with a care free attitude  and there by   built in a great platform  with in the first 3 or4 years itself as has been evident with him as of now . From then on , he can build on  this  platform to achieve greater heights . Even if  some dip in form occurs thru the way , he can draw inspiration from his own past  track record .This is what exactly happend with Sachin. His career was almost finished by 2007, but he  constructed an absolute  pruple patch in the period 2007-2011 from  the confidence of his past track record.

With  33-34 year old  proven mediocrities, the case is exactly the opposite. That is the difference.

Again, enough with rookie worship. At the end of the day, he did well, but it’s not the end of the world either. In fact, he should look at the positives. We want to emulate the professionalism of Aussie cricket as a long term template. And that means, rewarding results, being professional etc. Just like you shouldn’t exactly lose out despite being first wicket keeper to score tons overseas, you also shouldn’t see your career over when the clear cut #1 keeper in test format, just coz of one injury and Indian people’s fetish with supaa star with supaa star numbers. Pant is old and if that’s all it takes to ruin him: being dropped from test team because dude who was ahead of him came back from injury, then he never had the professional heart of a champ in the first place.  

3 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

Again, enough with rookie worship. At the end of the day, he did well, but it’s not the end of the world either. In fact, he should look at the positives. We want to emulate the professionalism of Aussie cricket as a long term template. And that means, rewarding results, being professional etc. Just like you shouldn’t exactly lose out despite being first wicket keeper to score tons overseas, you also shouldn’t see your career over when the clear cut #1 keeper in test format, just coz of one injury and Indian people’s fetish with supaa star with supaa star numbers. Pant is old and if that’s all it takes to ruin him: being dropped from test team because dude who was ahead of him came back from injury, then he never had the professional heart of a champ in the first place.  

this is not simply rookie worship. An aggressive(str: 72)  left handed   youngster who averages almost 45   with 4 90+ scores in just 11 tests  and with 2 100s in SENA   has performed way better than Saha for a start. Yes Saha  might be better as WK but for his age Pant  is not far behind. All in all Saha can never be  considered as better to Pant   at first place. Secondly , what I said too  is  professionalism  only.  I mean this is the most efficient method to develop a youngster for the team cause.... catch them so young and test their performance as has been the case with Pant  and if they perform superbly never dispense with them. Like wise with every spot in the team. THis is way better for the team cause  rather than  trying experienced tested mediocrities   like  Saha,Rohit etc etc.

7 minutes ago, rtmohanlal said:

this is not simply rookie worship. An aggressive(str: 72)  left handed   youngster who averages almost 45   with 4 90+ scores in just 11 tests  and with 2 100s in SENA   has performed way better than Saha for a start. Yes Saha  might be better as WK but for his age Pant  is not far behind. All in all Saha can never be  considered as better to Pant   at first place. Secondly , what I said too  is  professionalism  only.  I mean this is the most efficient method to develop a youngster for the team cause.... catch them so young and test their performance as has been the case with Pant  and if they perform superbly never dispense with them. Like wise with every spot in the team. THis is way better for the team cause  rather than  trying experienced tested mediocrities   like  Saha,Rohit etc etc.

Except those are all batting numbers for a KEEPER. Yes we get it that he is a better bat than Saha. But Saha was and most likely still a way better keeper than Pant. No, your point is not professionalism at all. In no pro sport does the first choice designate become kicked out of the team permanently due to an injury time out, show me which pro team sport that happens in. Developing a potential guy is not the objective of test cricket. Objective is results. Yes, few matches leeway are given, even longer for out of form stalwarts. But being cast aside temporarily for a young one who will have a long career, is not rare in pro sports, in favour of an injured pro returning at his expense, when that pro was above the pecking order and #1 in his role before injury. I can literally give you dozens upon dozens of pro leagues examples in soccer, ice hockey etc.  

If experienced tested mediocres give better result for now, so be it. 

10 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Except those are all batting numbers for a KEEPER. Yes we get it that he is a better bat than Saha. But Saha was and most likely still a way better keeper than Pant. No, your point is not professionalism at all. In no pro sport does the first choice designate become kicked out of the team permanently due to an injury time out, show me which pro team sport that happens in. Developing a potential guy is not the objective of test cricket. Objective is results. Yes, few matches leeway are given, even longer for out of form stalwarts. But being cast aside temporarily for a young one who will have a long career, is not rare in pro sports, in favour of an injured pro returning at his expense, when that pro was above the pecking order and #1 in his role before injury. I can literally give you dozens upon dozens of pro leagues examples in soccer, ice hockey etc.  

a 35 year old Saha as of now  averages  just  30.5 after playing just  46 inns  for his age. As per me, even is Saha is better in keeping  Pant far outweighs him over all(keeping + batting) , let alone Pant is a rookie. That means Saha has been  inadequate for the spot at the first place, keeping in mind Saha replaced a 39 averaging  batsman  in Dhoni. W.r.t other matters ,each to their own.

16 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Pant has made wktkeeping records in aus.

12 hours ago, New guy said:

No, into t20 wc. Kohli has never liked saha in the past and preferred keepers who could not. Now suddenly a u turn?

The plan is clearly to have Pant dropped from all format and demotivated and sneak in Dhon for t20 wc

Are people acting naive here?

We need to stop blaming Dhoni for everything, he’s done and pretty much out . Is Dhoni responsible for Rohit opening or Kuldeep being dropped ? Virat just dosent encourage youngsters , it’s got nothing to do with Dhoni . Virat has always preferred saha over pant , it’s just the injuries which forced him to pick pant