Did anyone hear Ashwin Man of Match speech after 3rd Test?

fineleg

When Sanjay Manjrekar interviewed him, R. Ashwin - He said something like "There is more honesty to express oneself in dressing room and meetings, and he started saying something abt in past (Dhoni time) and cut himself and said dont want to talk abt past, but more honesty allowed now in meetings and dressing room".

What was that about?

VIDEO:

Edited by fineleg

This isn't likely a big deal. Remember when Umesh said it's easier to approach Kohli, as he is a similar age. Fans sometimes forget that Dhoni is a megastar, I would say comparable to Sachin. Dhoni likely has the aura of a legend to younger Indian players, like Ashwin, Yadav, Kohli, etc.

On the other hand, right now there are no legends in the test team. All of our players are relatively new, and only Kohli has a status above the rest, partly due to his captaincy position. It is likely a lot easier to disagree with other players who are at a similar stage in the development process as you, rather than an Indian icon like Dhoni. 

Ashwin is playing this game (dressing room politics) for quite sometime... he is just sucking up to virat, but i feel he is faking it.

dhoni is a very friendly and approachable person for everyone in the dressing room.

dhoni's biggest weakness is lack of pro-activeness like imran khan, ranatunga... he wouldnt prepare his team for upcoming challenges

he is content playing IPL when the England tour was only a month away after the IPL finals [despite clearly noticing that the Indian pace attack was inadequate in the tactics department in the SA and NZ tour just before the IPL. and also that anderson, cook and broad etc... were preparing hard for the India series while we were playing in the IPL circus]

whats the use of earning another 2Crores, when your income per year is 100Crores+ already?

this is smthg i never understood... but then again Dhoni survived because of his closeness to Srini and not playing the IPL would have meant he would have lost his captaincy.

and then later when the series started, he complained that the bowlers lacked discipline to bowl in English conditions

someone like arjuna ranatunga, imran khan would have probably prepared their teams much in advance

dhoni isnt an autocrat like azharuddin where everyone keeps mum in the team meetings or anything

i think from the time sachin took over as captain he made sure all these seniority issues were dismantled

he said in many interviews (sportstar mag... i remember reading during that time) that he would allow the juniors to pull his leg with jokes so that they will bond with him. this is in direct contrast to azhar's time where kapil-sidhu-azhar wouldnt allow a junior to even squeak. kapil's bullying of a young srinath is well known.

ganguly and dravid also encouraged and followed the new rules set by sachin during their tenures.

dhoni is their legacy without any doubt.

dhoni is a very private person though. he is friendly, but wouldnt mix with the teammates... when everyone goes home, dhoni wouldnt even pick a teammate's call it seems...

if dhoni was a little proactive in preparing for serious challenges like the Gauntlet series, he would have become an ATG captain...

Edited by Temujin Khaghan
2 hours ago, MechEng said:

God forbid Ashwin does not end up playing under Dhoni in IPL near future. Otherwise Dhoni will grapple him asking " Tere ko honesty chahiye ? Yeh le express kar. "

he was playing with Dhoni for a good 5 years with :csk: and his record is not that bad 

Edited by Trichromatic

Ashwin used to suck up to Dhoni for years. Now that Dhoni has retired, he is sucking upto the new captain - Kohli and talking thrash about Dhoni in his back.  politician. I would have hated this [Edited] had he not been such a good player for India 

Edited by Trichromatic
Inappropriate Language

I am no msd fan but he was defacto leader for so long.

Its an inbuilt. A hierarchy evolves over time.

Will India have an open culture with kohli as captain 5 years down the line?

Only time will tell. Some of crickets best captains have been dominant forces with a command structure.

Fair to say most captains start of in a open culture before moving to being authoritative

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

I am surprised with the responces.

Expected an msd hate fest. But I think most posters hit the nail on the head

Personally I dont blame ash for playing politics. The way Murli was axed fair to say I dont think u are safe till u are in the good books of kohli.

The way ash has been performing I think its safe to say I dont think he needs to say much.

From what I have seen ash n rahane kohli consults with on field. Might be a cliche developing among the trio.

We will know more if kohli takes over as loi captain and rahane becomes a loi fixture

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, vishalvirsingh said:

he openly said that under DHONI , others are not allowed to open up.

Sources? I havent heard anything like that. 

50 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Dhoni is still the captain in ODIs and T20Is which Ashwin plays too.

Also even in IPL Ashwin plays under dhoni.

lol all usual comments...ICF...:facepalm:

I think the comparison is between Kumble and Sashtri. Ashwin has been under Dhoni for entirety of his IPL and India career, and expressed his rapport with him on numerous occasions. This is not a reflection on Dhoni but on Sashtri uncle.

4 hours ago, Moth2Flame said:

Maybe he was comparing Shastri and Kumble.  I actually think that is more likely.   

exactly.

12 hours ago, Temujin Khaghan said:

Ashwin is playing this game (dressing room politics) for quite sometime... he is just sucking up to virat, but i feel he is faking it.

dhoni is a very friendly and approachable person for everyone in the dressing room.

dhoni's biggest weakness is lack of pro-activeness like imran khan, ranatunga... he wouldnt prepare his team for upcoming challenges

he is content playing IPL when the England tour was only a month away after the IPL finals [despite clearly noticing that the Indian pace attack was inadequate in the tactics department in the SA and NZ tour just before the IPL. and also that anderson, cook and broad etc... were preparing hard for the India series while we were playing in the IPL circus]

whats the use of earning another 2Crores, when your income per year is 100Crores+ already?

this is smthg i never understood... but then again Dhoni survived because of his closeness to Srini and not playing the IPL would have meant he would have lost his captaincy.

and then later when the series started, he complained that the bowlers lacked discipline to bowl in English conditions

someone like arjuna ranatunga, imran khan would have probably prepared their teams much in advance

dhoni isnt an autocrat like azharuddin where everyone keeps mum in the team meetings or anything

i think from the time sachin took over as captain he made sure all these seniority issues were dismantled

he said in many interviews (sportstar mag... i remember reading during that time) that he would allow the juniors to pull his leg with jokes so that they will bond with him. this is in direct contrast to azhar's time where kapil-sidhu-azhar wouldnt allow a junior to even squeak. kapil's bullying of a young srinath is well known.

ganguly and dravid also encouraged and followed the new rules set by sachin during their tenures.

dhoni is their legacy without any doubt.

dhoni is a very private person though. he is friendly, but wouldnt mix with the teammates... when everyone goes home, dhoni wouldnt even pick a teammate's call it seems...

if dhoni was a little proactive in preparing for serious challenges like the Gauntlet series, he would have become an ATG captain...

Summary i see is Ashwin is playing politics from long time. And CSK involvement and Srini forced Dhoni to not prepare for test series for fear of loosing captaincy,  if he had prepared he would have won all those series and become an ATG captain. I agree to everything you said in-between though good stuff, anecdotal. Care to substantiate the first and last statement.

1 hour ago, Bigg Brother said:

Why Ashwin would hate MS??And Why would he need to suck up Kohli when He is the best player for us in tests.

This. When Ashwin himself is thrice the player to Dhoni, he has earned his right to voice his opinion, and on top of that he's well educated too compared to that ticket examiner. 

2 hours ago, Lannister said:

This. When Ashwin himself is thrice the player to Dhoni, he has earned his right to voice his opinion, and on top of that he's well educated too compared to that ticket examiner. 

dont think dhoni need to be ashahmed of been a ticket examiner ..

and dhoni has got a dual employment as Lt Colonel :police:

2 hours ago, Lannister said:

Its a bit more complex that that, I think when some one reaches certain level in any ability or skill they would have put in a net amount of effort which should contribute to their general intelligence quotient. An international class athlete not withstanding their low academic experience would still be very intelligent. For instance dhoni does not speak or act like an everyday ticket examiner that once would face in Delhi.