Rate Saha the keeper

Gollum

On 10/13/2019 at 9:45 PM, singhprakash72 said:

At least two catches in these tests (that saha caught) would have been surely dropped by any of Indian keepers in last 25 years including legends keepers like Parthiv....to half ass Rishabh. 

Kind of disagree. The two diving catches taken by Saha would not even be considered as catch by all wicketkeepers since Kiran More(one of the best skippers against spin India had). None of them would have even got anywhere nearer to those balls to even consider them as a catch.

The catch of Du Plessis via inside edge may have been dropped by some while others would not even have attempted .

On 10/13/2019 at 10:06 AM, SK_IH said:

Saha is a very good wicket keeper but I still believe going back to Saha was a retrograde and myopic move. Rishabh is a wonderful keeper against pace as well, may be lacking lissomeness of Saha but he is very good nonetheless.

Saha is too good to be kept out. 

It's just hard on Pant because it is in a format that he has genuinely done well. He keeping has been good too, but Saha is two notches above.

Like I said before, we'll likely continue with Saha as keeper for Home tests, since we have batting all the way to No. 8.. and maybe Pant for overseas Tests where we need more batting depth

7 hours ago, bowl_out said:

Saha is too good to be kept out. 

It's just hard on Pant because it is in a format that he has genuinely done well. He keeping has been good too, but Saha is two notches above.

Like I said before, we'll likely continue with Saha as keeper for Home tests, since we have batting all the way to No. 8.. and maybe Pant for overseas Tests where we need more batting depth

And that would be harsh on Pant, throw him in the overseas tests straight. Ironically it's in the overseas tests that you need your supposed best keeper. One blunder in alien conditions and it's not easy to come back. 

Pant should play in NZ and Aus next year, need his batting more than Saha's keeping in those countries. In India the opposite.

Nothing unlucky about it, Saha will be gone in 2 years and Pant will be what 24-25 then, plus a permanent member. He still has ODIs/T20s provided Dhoni stays away (Dada :pray:). The real unlucky guy is Saha, misdiagnosis of major injury which almost ended his career, late entrant as well (Dhoni 2011-14 :cantstop:), being overlooked for clowns like Pappu/DK in his young days. 

Edited by Gollum
20 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Pant should play in NZ and Aus next year, need his batting more than Saha's keeping in those countries. In India the opposite.

Nothing unlucky about it, Saha will be gone in 2 years and Pant will be what 24-25 then, plus a permanent member. He still has ODIs/T20s provided Dhoni stays away (Dada :pray:). The real unlucky guy is Saha, misdiagnosis of major injury which almost ended his career, late entrant as well (Dhoni 2011-14 :cantstop:), being overlooked for clowns like Pappu/DK in his young days. 

Don't remember Saha being overlooked for Pappu/DK ever. He burst into the scene in 2008 and played a Test in 2010 and has been Dhoni's stand-in till then.

EGpvP7QUYAAT4Jn.jpg

Funny thing is some of his pouches won't even be considered as chances for other keepers. No other keeper (probably in history of this sport) has taken so many catches going to leg slip or wide slip region, nobody....esp against 140+ bowlers.  Mostly Saha's misses are ones where others wouldn't come 2 feet near the ball. Against spinners as well, guy caught one in Pune in FSL region (unfortunately no bat involved), he often holds on to inside edges and under edges, I mean many of them aren't even legit chances !!!! Central to our bowling unit's success, keeper is integral part of the bowling camp. 

Edited by Gollum
On 10/15/2019 at 3:09 PM, Nikhil_cric said:

He's the best we've had in the last 30 years purely as a keeper. Those catches off Umesh - Dhoni would not even have attempted those. Healy, latif and Boucher level. 

Not just Healy, his keeping is on par with Darren Berry (to remain within Australia). In English terms, he is surely up there with James Foster and Ben Foakes.

The common theme you might have noticed is that the guys above were perennially overlooked for players with more batting talent but significantly inferior keeping (although Healy vs Berry is a lot closer than Foster vs anyone else; although Foakes had to leave Essex because Foster was the undoubted no. 1). We are lucky that the circumstances in India are just right that Saha gets to play test cricket; I would go so far as to say that Wriddhiman "Superman" Saha is India's greatest gift to world cricket.

Edited by abc
10 hours ago, abc said:

Not just Healy, his keeping is on par with Darren Berry (to remain within Australia). In English terms, he is surely up there with James Foster and Ben Foakes.

The common theme you might have noticed is that the guys above were perennially overlooked for players with more batting talent but significantly inferior keeping (although Healy vs Berry is a lot closer than Foster vs anyone else; although Foakes had to leave Essex because Foster was the undoubted no. 1). We are lucky that the circumstances in India are just right that Saha gets to play test cricket; I would go so far as to say that Wriddhiman "Superman" Saha is India's greatest gift to world cricket.

Very interesting comment that bolded part.  I would say it's hyperbole but I get the sentiment - I'm not sure after how long we're seeing a "pure" wicket keeper performing at his max at the highest level in the game.  It's like seeing an old art resurrected, however long may it last.

Just saw De Bruyn's dismissal, of the bowling of Nadeem...scooted along the surface, inside edge that low !!!! What a brilliant catch by Saha, words can't express his magnificence behind the stumps. Even against spinners he is a genius. 

Saha is probably the best wk we've had as far as I've seen. Pant maybe a great batsmen but he should study from Saha on wk technique. They did a comparison in the test series where they analyzed the technique of both. Saha always stayed low for longer period than Pant. That's the most important thing in keeping. Dhoni may be good in stumping and taking regular catches but lets a lot of byes and has an unorthodox technique. Saha caught some legside catches of the fast bowlers that Dhoni or Pant can only dream of. I hope I'm not jinxing Saha :antijinx: In tests, a high quality wk is needed more than an extra batsmen. The keeper who can take some extraordinary catches and stumpings is more important than adding a few runs. It will help the team win more matches. Gilly is an exception that in addition to being a counterpunching batsman, he is also a great keeper