Bhuvneshwar Kumar and Shikhar Dhawan have been released from India's Test team .Vijay Shankar named Bhuvneshwar's replacement

16 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

Shankar- don't know anything about this guy but a lot of sensible posters on here rate him highly so I'd be interested to see how he  performs. He may actually get to play, here's why:

Likely green tops 

2 spinners redundant as proved in last match on such wickets

Bhuvi out so Ishant will replace him 

Shankar may play in place of second spinner as we were in need of a 4th seamer this most recent match 

Not the worst thing to get both spinners some game  time in unfriendly conditions, see which one does better.   We don't need all 5 bowlers to be effective in order to wrap up SL in 4 days anyway.

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

Not the worst thing to get both spinners some game  time in unfriendly conditions, see which one does better.   We don't need all 5 bowlers to be effective in order to wrap up SL in 4 days anyway.

We don't wanna burn out our pacers either. Bhuvi won't be there, umesh currently off colour. If spinners not a wicket taking threat would be a big risk to field both

Vijay Shankar is a good addition ,I think he is a very good batsman ,don't know about the effectiveness of his bowling

But if Shankar plays and it's a green track and the spinners are neutralized,then we will be hamstrung with only Shami and Umesh,both of them can be erratic at times moreso Umesh

So I think unlikely Shankar will play or are they planning to play him in place of Dhawan and push Pujara to open :hmmm:

6 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Kohli failed too at some point and Pujara failed too when we were overseas.  Rahane is India’s best batsman overseas in recent history so with overseas-swing coming for Indian team, we can not afford to drop our best test batsman who saved us on multiple occasions. 

Regarding impact, he has still scored runs and played a crucial role in recent series against Australia at home. He had set standards so high with his performance  that his failure in few series really started pinching lot of people. Fact is he is doing just all right. He has turned well in the big occasions like I told you against Australia, and he might very well be our great batsman again in the coming tours.

Again like I say all the time, I won’t change our 3-4-5 for the next 1 year. They have earned it. And one might agree with me or not but I believe Pujara-Kohli-Rahane makes the best top-middle order trio in the whole world. No one comes close, not even the trio involving Amla, De villers.

Rahane cant be dropped based on one game.  Pujara, Kohli and Rahane are the mainstays of our batting. Rahane is like Laxman, will suddenly produce a gem among failures.  

40 minutes ago, Khota said:

I am not sold on Vijay Shankar. He is not a good bowler but a decent bat. This selection baffles me as there are many deserving players ahead of him.

he is batting alrounder. His bowling will be very handy on seaming tracks. He is just a backup to Pandya though i would have liked a rookie fast bowler not named Shardul to be selected.

1 minute ago, rkt.india said:

Rahane cant be dropped based on one game.  Pujara, Kohli and Rahane are the mainstays of our batting. Rahane is like Laxman, will suddenly produce a gem among failures.  

Yes, not only Rahane, same for all three. All are mainstays. Like I said 3-4-5 can’t be touched. We need to only worry about other slots. 

2 hours ago, SK_IH said:

Vijay Shankar is a good addition ,I think he is a very good batsman ,don't know about the effectiveness of his bowling

But if Shankar plays and it's a green track and the spinners are neutralized,then we will be hamstrung with only Shami and Umesh,both of them can be erratic at times moreso Umesh

So I think unlikely Shankar will play or are they planning to play him in place of Dhawan and push Pujara to open :hmmm:

no he will play ahead of one of Ashwin or Jadeja, likely Ashiwn, 3 seamers, one seam alrounder and one spinner depending ont he pitch. you dont need 2 spinners if we get another pitch like Eden.

7 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

no he will play ahead of one of Ashwin or Jadeja, likely Ashiwn, 3 seamers, one seam alrounder and one spinner depending ont he pitch. you dont need 2 spinners if we get another pitch like Eden.

i agree i didnt think of such a situation,most likely one spinner will be dropped,when was last time we played with one spinner in india? 

9 hours ago, Temujin Khaghan said:

just imagine if we groom shankar properly ... we can play Pandya and shankar in the same team at the World Cup...

once we play 2 pace bowling allrounders (hitters) in the team, we can happily avoid Jadeja and ashwin by picking Kuldeep since we anyway have the batting cushion. 

Kuldeep is no no.11.

If bangar works on him a bit, he could be a better tail ender than jaddu or ash in odis.

2 hours ago, Khota said:

I am not sold on Vijay Shankar. He is not a good bowler but a decent bat. This selection baffles me as there are many deserving players ahead of him.

Its how you look at things

He is a batting all rounder whose bowling is a bonus. As 5th bowler his job is to just bowl 10-15 overs and keep it tight. Unfortunately none of of our top order batsman bowl so an all rounder becomes really important . 

Overseas wkts will give some help to his avg bowling and most team will give indian team a grassy pitch here and there which will make any trundler lethal . 

Post pandya, shankar is the most deserving all rounder which other all rounder deserved a chance ahead of him

Both Pandya and Shankar played in the practise match against Bangladesh when they toured us a year or two back. Shankar bowled better than him and got a 81 ball Century. Pandya got no wickets and single digit runs.

Not comparing based on one match but obviously if we are looking for a pacer batting allrounder one should not put all your eggs in one basket.

47 minutes ago, Forever Indian said:

Both Pandya and Shankar played in the practise match against Bangladesh when they toured us a year or two back. Shankar bowled better than him and got a 81 ball Century. Pandya got no wickets and single digit runs.

Not comparing based on one match but obviously if we are looking for a pacer batting allrounder one should not put all your eggs in one basket.

Shankar for me is captaincy material, grounded, smart, analytical, has batting skill n talent, gears, on batting alone I would have him in the team, his bowling is decent, not a filler ,can get us wkts, moves the ball, n gets bounce, I assume he will bowl 130 to 142 range eventually.

1 hour ago, tweaker said:

Shankar 's bowling is underrated.He can bowl at 135+ with good line & length. I think he is thinking, intelligent cricketer .

He has this ability to up his game against strong opposition.I have seen his performance against Mumbai .

he bowls 125-130