What is your first recollection of Cricket?

Laaloo

15 minutes ago, Gollum said:

God, I thought you were a 60 year old or something :thinking:...... Merry Christmas to you.

Thanks and..er... thanks :angry: ;) My friends and family say I act like a grumpy old man in real life sometimes as well. I think@Trichromatic was expecting me to say I went to my first match when Boycott was playing or something! I think Vaughan and Gough might have been playing, and Darren Lehmann, but I really don't remember much about the match itself. Was more interested in playing my own game with the other kids round the back of the stands.

Edited by YCCC

I think it was either 1997 or 1999 Sharjah Cup. I was kid back then and knew nothing about the game except for names of cricketers through cricket trump cards which were very popular back then, playing with those cards is one of my fondest childhood memories.

So there was a game against Pakistan in either 1997 or 1999 Sharjah Cup, my family and some family friends were watching the game in a resort on a big screen projector. At that time I was in the green house of my school (most schools had different coloured houses to group students back then) and green was my favourite colour (still is), so I was wildly supporting Pakistan in that game. At that age I had no idea about the diplomatic relationships/history between India and Pakistan. Everytime a Pakistani bowler got a wicket, I would start dancing randomly, and I was the only person there who was supporting Pakistan :cantstop:

I guess we lost that match and I overheard people praising Moin Khan's wicket keeping skills and absence of Sachin costing us the match. After we got home, my mother told me that I should not support Pakistan in any game, I blindly obeyed her without asking the reason why, like how parents teach us manners and we memorised it as kids!

Ind vs new Zealand in 1995 faintly remember Martin Crowe doing well. Actual live match is India vs windies 96 worldcup match. Venkatesh Prasad got rid of lara by an outswinger and I was thinking if beaten by bowler is enough to be called out. Semis loss was painful. So inside two months I changed from a novice to a cricket buff.

The 1983 world cup final. Although I was really young then. But what I remember clealry is the WI Indian tour later in the same year, and Clive Lloyd making minced meat of Kapil Dev's bowling. I remember Kapil totally giving up and Clive Lloyd just chewing his gum as if nothing had happened. They destroyed the Indian team back then. That was massacre!

Guys, I know I sound like a grand dad in front of you all. I am 38:blink:

1 hour ago, Forever Indian said:

1996 WC on DD National channel - India vs Kenya was my first match and then followed the whole WC.

It was during that time I started playing cricket with the Icecream balls that used to come in those days and a plastic bat.

Icecream balls :(( you made me nostalgic!! 

Edited by speedheat

First recollection of watching cricket is 1992 WC. Though I was very young then, had no idea about cricket but since my family use to watch it regularly, I got hooked to it. I was in love with that 1992 WC dark blue jersey and was haggling my Dad to buy me one for long time after that. I remember watching Ajay Jadeja's brilliant catch on TV and my Dad and Uncles and everyone going Gaga over it. I use to listen to their commentary after every match where they would feel frustrated watching India lose and then blaming talking about how great Kapil Dev was and now he is old and hence India is not winning and all. lol

From 1992 to 1996 - watched cricket on and off with not much understanding. Azhar was one of the favorites of everyone around me before 1996 wc. Sachin was becoming good during this time and people were loving it. Kambli was getting lot of love too. Sidhu's sixes were famous. 

But everything changed for me after 1996 WC. I joined the cult like so many others and was completely glued to it. I watched every ball of that WC, bunking schools, bursting crackers and what not. In Ahmedabad, I had never seen people coming out on roads and celebrating before that. Playing cricket also became very popular and I was full into it post that WC.

Edited by Shunya
39 minutes ago, Shunya said:

First recollection of watching cricket is 1992 WC. Though I was very young then, had no idea about cricket but since my family use to watch it regularly, I got hooked to it. I was in love with that 1992 WC dark blue jersey and was haggling my Dad to buy me one for long time after that. I remember watching Ajay Jadeja's brilliant catch on TV and my Dad and Uncles and everyone going Gaga over it. I use to listen to their commentary after every match where they would feel frustrated watching India lose and then blaming talking about how great Kapil Dev was and now he is old and hence India is not winning and all. lol

From 1992 to 1996 - watched cricket on and off with not much understanding. Azhar was one of the favorites of everyone around me before 1996 wc. Sachin was becoming good during this time and people were loving it. Kambli was getting lot of love too. Sidhu's sixes were famous. 

But everything changed for me after 1996 WC. I joined the cult like so many others and was completely glued to it. I watched every ball of that WC, bunking schools, bursting crackers and what not. In Ahmedabad, I had never seen people coming out on roads and celebrating before that. Playing cricket also became very popular and I was full into it post that WC.

Ditto on what i remember about Cricket.

Would just like to add 1 thing and that is of me thinking that all cricketers have surname as TENDULKAR. This is 90 i'm talking about.

For me all players were tendulkar except Kapil and Azhar. So there were Tendulkar's with First name as Sachin, Anil, Narendra etc.

Aus v SA Semi WC1999 , everybody egging SA to go through

First World Cup for me, was an absolute drab of World Cup, Lame format, lame opening ceremony and India being mediocre

but that Semis was just unbelievable, first time came across this built like a rhino Kluesnar guy, Allan Donald :lol: , 

Tests held no interest, was just so boring and slow, but that magical Laxman-Dravidian partnership changed everything, won the match, then series vs this mighty Australian team and coverage and celebrations that followed got me into Tests too

And then the arrival of Sehwag got me hooked, this guy was unbelievable 

i think many would attest here waking up at 3am to just watch him bat and go back to sleep if he fell...not even Tendu had that impact

Yup 1992 WC for me too. Though I am sure I watched matches prior to that too. I vividly remember the narrow loss to Australia apart from the Jadeja catch.

I was a crazy fan as a kid, thanks to my dad. My dad and I used to wake up around 2:30 AM to follow India's NZ tour.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Hello guys,

Bot @Rasgulla is down and undergoing some repair work so sorry for the inconvenience, I am posting here on behalf of him his first recollection of cricket as displayed on his tiny monitor screen..

And his quote:

His first cricketing memory was, when dhoni installed EA sport cricket game in his internal processing system and he played a game with dhonis character for csk where he scored a blitzkrieg 8(22) against some random opposition.

that's it guys thanq for your time.

:hysterical: