"Shastri Hai Hai"

zen

There was a time when "Shastri Hai Hai" was heard at almost every stadium where India played. People were so used to it that I heard those chants even after he had retired (probably even when he started commenting) 

With Ind scheduled to embark on tough (not muskil as Kapil would describe) tours and the current questionable form, playing below expectations could generate a lot of anger (especially with strategic blunders on cards). Would the nightmare for Shastri return? Or have people forgotten those chants to be an issue?

Anyways, if that happens, Shastri would be in an unique position as he would have been showered with those chants as a player, commentator (when people had formed the habit of shouting that at stadiums) and now as the coach? 

:nervous:

Edited by zen
54 minutes ago, zen said:

Are clips available? Would be nice to refresh the memory 

Look for some matches from 1992 Ind-Wi-Aus tri series....Srikkanth reaches his 50 less than run a ball and by those days standards a very exciting innings and Shastri was batting at 10 from some 60 balls.

worst part was everyone wanted to see a on fire Srikkanth but Shastri would play out 5 balls and take a single on the last ball :laugh:

I remember some Indians watching in the crowd in Australia were also chanting Shastri hai hai.

1 minute ago, maniac said:

Look for some matches from 1992 Ind-Wi-Aus tri series....Srikkanth reaches his 50 less than run a ball and by those days standards a very exciting innings and Shastri was batting at 10 from some 60 balls.

worst part was everyone wanted to see a on fire Srikkanth but Shastri would play out 5 balls and take a single on the last ball :laugh:

I remember some Indians watching in the crowd in Australia were also chanting Shastri hai hai.

It's like Ganguly and Sachin partnerships lol

10 minutes ago, maniac said:

And this joker talks about intent!

Edited by sensible-indian
17 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

It's like Ganguly and Sachin partnerships lol

Only in terms of crowd wanting to watch one guy bat over the other lol  but Ganguly would be in the zone once in a while where he would match Sachin shot for shot.

.In the South African tour that followed  In 1992-1993 something triggered in him...he would bat at 6 and try to charge Donald and co without much effect,almost like how Ashwin tries these ABDV type shots in LOIs and ends up looking like an idiot.

That was the last of him and then he suddenly appeared on our TVs as a commentator :((  And now to screw us further as the coach :(( 

Shastri has been the cricketing villain for most people of my generation of cricket lovers.

Even though the fact that he commentated on some of Indian cricket’s best moments might endear him to some who are probably from the immediate next gen of cricket lovers , I never  liked Shastri and that is where so much bias comes from as you can see on the forum.

Similarly people a gen right above me might think of him as a cult hero for his 6 6s in domestics or winning Audi in the World Series tournament or dating Sabatini and Amrita Singh.

The biggest positive he did as a cricketer when I stared watching cricket was the 200 in Sydney where he took apart Warne...however I was in school and obviously not allowed to watch cricket at 3 or 4 am in the morning and that too on Door Darshan :giggle: so no redemption for Shastri.

Edited by maniac

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8039/scorecard/65119/england-vs-india-2nd-match-world-cup-1991-92/

Chasing 236, India lose by 9 runs. Shastri scores a 57 (112) that's like batting 10 overs of dotballs! They are called dotovers in Shastri;s time!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8039/scorecard/65129/australia-vs-india-12th-match-world-cup-1991-92/ 

Chasing 237, India lose by 1 run. Shastri 25(75) ...lots of dotovers.

2 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8039/scorecard/65119/england-vs-india-2nd-match-world-cup-1991-92/

Chasing 236, India lose by 9 runs. Shastri scores a 57 (112) that's like batting 10 overs of dotballs! They are called dotovers in Shastri;s time!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8039/scorecard/65129/australia-vs-india-12th-match-world-cup-1991-92/ 

Chasing 237, India lose by 1 run. Shastri 25(75) ...lots of dotovers.

Yeah remember that England game too...I remember Banerjee looked like he will take us through before Javgal Srinath ran like a headless chicken like he usually did while batting :facepalm:

Anyway we see those kind of innings these days from Dhoni and I believe the politcally correct word for that is consolidation:p: