Kohli plays with the worst Indian batting line up in last 2 decades

This is a sort of romantic misconception of Indian cricket. Today we look back and name drop great players but anyone who has watched India abroad in the past two decades will be only too familiar with batting collapses and one man performances (not only by Sachin, but later also by VVS)

In recent times I see more intent and aggression from our bowlers (apart from zaheer we had no real test pace bowlers since the 90s) a huge improvement in our fielding (this started under Dhoni) and once this series is over I expect we wil have seen some decent batting. 

Edgbaston was unfortunately India's warmup here. 

50 minutes ago, JourneyMan said:

This is a sort of romantic misconception of Indian cricket. Today we look back and name drop great players but anyone who has watched India abroad in the past two decades will be only too familiar with batting collapses and one man performances (not only by Sachin, but later also by VVS)

In recent times I see more intent and aggression from our bowlers (apart from zaheer we had no real test pace bowlers since the 90s) a huge improvement in our fielding (this started under Dhoni) and once this series is over I expect we wil have seen some decent batting. 

Edgbaston was unfortunately India's warmup here. 

Well said. Icf on a sky is falling spree. 

1 hour ago, Adi_91 said:

By playing his buddies and selecting a team coach, he is doing things that are worse.

Though you are correct as real change comes from the top but even he might be feeling helpless when except him the entire batting order has forgotten to put a price on their respective wickets or show some application & put some bloody runs on the board. 

Kohli can make a change or two in the next match but what about others, they need to stand up & make crucial partnerships otherwise it'll be curtains. 

Edited by Turning_track
43 minutes ago, Turning_track said:

Though you are correct as real change comes from the top but even he might be feeling helpless when except him the entire batting order has forgotten to put a price on their respective wickets or show some application & put some bloody runs on the board. 

Kohli can make a change or two in the next match but what about others, they need to stand up & make crucial partnerships otherwise it'll be curtains. 

The tendency to poke outside off stump was the problem in this batting performance. Almost all 20 wickets had shown this weakness outside off stump.

For new comers like Rahul, it is acceptable (Even Kohli struggled last time in England). But Rahane, Vijay and Dhawan can’t be making the same mistake.

On 8/3/2018 at 10:15 AM, Sujithmb13 said:

Sachin always played with good to world class test batsmen like Sidhu, Sehwag, Dravid, Sourav, vvs etc. But kohli really plays with the worst batting line up in last 2 decades. One has to feel sorry for him

Err, until 97, Sachin was in the same boat Virat is, overseas. At HOME he was better off, primarily because Sidhu-Azhar were better players of spin (nevermind Sachin himself) than anyone in this lineup. Saurav-Dravid didn't arrive till late 96 and it wasn't till 97 or so that Sachin had  one other great guy to rely on (Dravid in tests, Saurav in ODIs). 

Ie, for a decade, Sachin was our only world class batsman in ODIs and only overseas world class batsman. Kohli hasn't done that for more than 5 years max, since he came in with no pressure or expectation to carry the side, playing along giants like Dravid, Tendy, Sehwag, Laxman, etc. 

On 8/4/2018 at 3:08 AM, putrevus said:

What do you want Kohli to do, they are just playing with 5 batsmen in quest of getting 20 wickets so they will be lot of changes and non performers will be rotated , I don't see how anyone can have an issue with it.

Issue is we will never have a settled team, except for Virat himself everyone else is playing for a spot in the side. If they could keep pujara out based on his record in England, how does Virat make the team? Does this rotation policy apply to him? I guess not. 

Just now, jusarrived said:

Issue is we will never have a settled team, except for Virat himself everyone else is playing for a spot in the side. If they could keep pujara out based on his record in England, how does Virat make the team? Does this rotation policy apply to him? I guess not. 

This is happening for too long, I'm not sure if this is all on Virat but the selection of Dhawan (and the Talent in SA) leads me to believe he's the main culprit. Horses for courses is just a BS excuse for him to get his LO buddies in the test team, all it does is make likes of Pujara, Rahul and Rahane insecure. There's literally zero reason to pick these two in tests, let alone on SA or English tacks!

44 minutes ago, R!TTER said:

This is happening for too long, I'm not sure if this is all on Virat but the selection of Dhawan (and the Talent in SA) leads me to believe he's the main culprit. Horses for courses is just a BS excuse for him to get his LO buddies in the test team, all it does is make likes of Pujara, Rahul and Rahane insecure. There's literally zero reason to pick these two in tests, let alone on SA or English tacks!

I dont like this insecurity excuse. Rahane and Pujara have had several opportunities to step up where the openers failed and if they arent taking their chances then they cant complain if they are axed.

For the record I am in favor of them being in the team but it is up to them now to play to their potential. 

Just now, JourneyMan said:

I dont like this insecurity excuse. Rahane and Pujara have had several opportunities to step up where the openers failed and if they arent taking their chances then they cant complain if they are axed.

For the record I am in favor of them being in the team but it is up to them now to play to their potential. 

Pujara yes but Rahane? Since when are you counting these chances, Jan 2018? Because Pujara has had 6 innings - solitary fifty, while Rahane 4 innings - a 48 in second innings Joburg. Meanwhile the openers have all failed, especially Vijay all 8 innings :orderorder:

Pretty much sums up current realities 

There’s Virat Kohli, there’s a gap, there are the stands, the India lower order, then there are the nets and after going past a snoozing Ravi Shastri, one finally reaches the rest of India’s top order. That is how badly the India’s batsmen have been doing on tough ‘away’ tours.

South Africa should have been a warning for India – Kohli averaged 47.67 and the rest of the middle order averaged 19.72. But instead, the team seems determined to cruise on the skipper’s quality.

Kohli has been thinking about and working on counter measures. The rest of the batting line-up has had the same time at their disposal as their skipper but, still, they haven’t managed to tighten their game enough.

India were 100/5 in the first innings and 78/5 in the second innings. 

https://scroll.in/field/889187/a-world-without-virat-kohli-a-reality-that-should-worry-india-no-end

India playing test series in SENA countries one after another in 2013-14 ... then a 3 year break where we have played tests primarily in Asia ... then again 3 SENA tours in a year .

This kind of a scheduling has also lead to HTBs being created.

If these tours are placed inbetween Asian test series ... HTBs won't be able to have free runs.

Edited by express bowling
5 minutes ago, Stan AF said:

OH PLEASE......

Try opening the bat with Sujith Somasunder and see him score 7(36) in a ODI first and then we can talk. 90s was an unmitigated disaster.

Odi i agree. 90s Test team had better batsman than the current lot. Azhar was scoring in South Africa and England. Probably azhar has better avg than Sachin in England.

On 8/5/2018 at 3:09 AM, R!TTER said:

Who played more in SA Dhawan or Rahul.Didn't Pujara play all three tests in SA. Pujara has batted worse than tailender in England for both Yorkshire and India in practice game, what would want them to do keep him in the team while he looks worse than no 11 .

On 8/5/2018 at 3:01 AM, jusarrived said:

What did Pujara do in SA , didn't he play all three tests and what did Pujara do in England this season. They are not picking team on whims and fancies.

What was the record of Pujara in 2014 and you saw in first test why Kohlis is not kept out of the team even though he had bad record in England.

Just now, putrevus said:

What did Pujara do in SA , didn't he play all three tests and what did Pujara do in England this season. They are not picking team on whims and fancies.

What was the record of Pujara in 2014 and you saw in first test why Kohlis is not kept out of the team even though he had bad record in England.

What was the record of Dhawan in SA, Aus or Eng before this series? In the practice match as well, what did he do? Did he deserve the opening slot? I'm pretty sure if the SA series was a 4 or 5 match affair Dhawan would've gotten 2 or 3 tests and the Talent at least 3, why is the TM hell bent on making LO flat track bullies test regulars? Why couldn't we play DK as an opener and keep with Pant, why does Pandya get an extended rope, he hasn't done jack in the 4 games vs SA or Eng, is the team management really that insane?