India currently has best bowling line up in world

4 hours ago, express bowling said:

Yes.  And Sobers retired in 1974  and Julien never played after early 1977.   During their 1976 to 1995 quick bowling heydays, they hardly played any left armers.

Yes, both Colin Croft and Julien were banned by cricket board after they went to SA on the Rebel tour. Sobers did retire in 1974 as you pointed. Julien along with others was also participating in Packers world series in 77.

5 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Rabada, Steyn, Maharaj, Philander is a very good attack. I do think Vern needs to be replaced by another pace r though. But on the whole theirs is the only attack I rate above ours in all conditions. 

Why would you pick them above Ashwin, Jadeja, Kuldeep, Bumrah and Shami in Asian conditions?

51 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Why would you pick them above Ashwin, Jadeja, Kuldeep, Bumrah and Shami in Asian conditions?

In Asian conditions, they would be a touch behind our lot and in other conditions i'd take them over ours. Also they have kept SA competitive without a single world class batsman(on current form). We have atleast 2 and a very good WK/batsman.

29 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

In Asian conditions, they would be a touch behind our lot and in other conditions i'd take them over ours.

Steyn is the only proven performer in Asia, among the SA bowlers.  And he hardly plays these days.  We don't know how long he will last ( Although I hope he does last and plays for a few more good years  )

So, I think our bowling attack is way better for Asian conditions.  The pacers are great at reverse swing at skiddy and high pace  and the spinners know what to do to pick wickets in Asia.

To think that a lot were writing off Kuldeep on this forum, and to read about his performance is very satisfying. Like I have always believed, cricket is not played on paper. 

About left armers, I think they definitely bring a lot of variety. We do not have to look at WI attack of the past. The main criteria should be that the left armer should be good enough to sustain the kind of pressure the current pacers create. Left armers definitely are not over rated, their angle is difficult to manage. 

However, if you have gutter standard left armer like Jaydev Unadkat, you cant expect anything. 

8 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

To think that a lot were writing off Kuldeep on this forum, and to read about his performance is very satisfying. Like I have always believed, cricket is not played on paper. 

About left armers, I think they definitely bring a lot of variety. We do not have to look at WI attack of the past. The main criteria should be that the left armer should be good enough to sustain the kind of pressure the current pacers create. Left armers definitely are not over rated, their angle is difficult to manage. 

However, if you have gutter standard left armer like Jaydev Unadkat, you cant expect anything. 

Batsmen get used to that angle eventually. Also I think the key is swing . Unless you can consistently get the odd one to swing back in, there is very little chance of lbw and the angle simply takes the ball away. As long as the kookaburra continues to provide minimal swing , they are not a threat. I suppose it's also because left arm fast bowlers don't use the around -the-wicket- line enough unlike right arm fast bowlers who use it plenty for LHB's. 

On 1/7/2019 at 12:18 AM, Rightarmfast said:

Kuldeep has not even played enough tests to write him off. 

6 tests, 10 innings, 22 wickets. More than 2 in innings is good.

Has average of 24 strike rate  41.

2 hauls of 5 wickets already. 2 hauls of 4 wickets.

In fact he has done very well.

1 hour ago, Straight Drive said:

Kuldeep has not even played enough tests to write him off. 

6 tests, 10 innings, 22 wickets. More than 2 in innings is good.

Has average of 24 strike rate  41.

2 hauls of 5 wickets already. 2 hauls of 4 wickets.

In fact he has done very well.

He has. But I read a lot against him before the test. Had also read a lot against Indian fast bowlers before the test series began, and that they would fail. We know how that panned out.

On 1/6/2019 at 10:45 AM, Nikhil_cric said:

Rabada, Steyn, Maharaj, Philander is a very good attack. I do think Vern needs to be replaced by another pace r though. But on the whole theirs is the only attack I rate above ours in all conditions. 

In all conditions is where i am not sure in SA anf Eng probably. And SA has no spin. Some random pakistani or indian in there does not count.

I don't think so, Indian fast bowlers including Bumrah have to learn how to run thru batting lineups in helpful conditions.Conditions in England and SA were so good for bowlers but these guys struggled to close the deal on many occasions. India needs one more world class fast bowler.

6 hours ago, putrevus said:

I don't think so, Indian fast bowlers including Bumrah have to learn how to run thru batting lineups in helpful conditions.Conditions in England and SA were so good for bowlers but these guys struggled to close the deal on many occasions. India needs one more world class fast bowler.

they did run through SA in Wanderers. Yes, they did struggle in Capetown first innings but it was the first test of the series and Bumrah was making his debut.  They run through SA in second innings.  Bumrah did not play first two tests in England.  Yes, still we do need one more reliable strike bowler like Bumrah.

Never thought that we will be a bowling nation too.

In SC, we can get any Gali Mohalla bowler and they will clean up any side.

In South Africa, We prooved that our bowlers are better than Africans and they had to rely on pitch being dangerous.

In England, Our bowlers prooved that they will get their 20 wickets. Their was definitely a panick among Cricket Pundits but our selection woes calmed them.

In Australia, We have Warne praising us, It doesnt gets better than that for this lot.

We are secure for now

In ten Tests so far, all outside the subcontinent, Jasprit Bumrah averages 21.89 for 49 wickets Getty Images

Andrew Fidel Fernando

Stop everything. Drop what you are doing. Ravi Shastri may have undersold an achievement of India's Test team.

He has talked the attack up plenty, of course. In August, he announced that the team's quicks were the best India had ever had, "by a mile". But as India has for so long been the proud home of profoundly unsexy medium-pace bowling - generations of seamers diligently delivering standard-issue, ruler-straight balls at 130kph like there was a government ban on putting batsmen in discomfort - this was not exactly high praise. India's best pace attack? So what? This is like being the least annoying mosquito, or the prettiest naked mole rat.

South Africa, meanwhile, have been talking a big game about their bowling, and perhaps for good reason. During the recent Pakistan series, the captain, Faf du Plessis, said he believed he had the most potent attack on the planet. Dale Steyn then recited the averages of several of his bowling team-mates and asked: "Who's better than that?"

On the face of it, Dale, no one. But India are very close. Since the start of 2016 - a long enough time for these teams to have toured at least five of the top nine Test nations - South Africa's attack has the best average, but is closely followed by India's. Because in bowling parlance three or four average points is a substantial distance, the two attacks can be said to be well ahead of the pack.

(For the purposes of this article, matches featuring Zimbabwe, Ireland and Afghanistan have been excluded, partly because they will not be part of the top tier of the forthcoming World Test Championship).

The really interesting revelations, though, come when these figures are broken down further. South Africa's outstanding team returns, it turns out, are down largely to their attack's dominance at home. Since 2016, no side has maintained a better home average than their 22.36.

ALSO READ: Aakash Chopra: Why Bumrah is hard to face

The same must be true for India, right? I mean, this is the team that famously sets their relentless spinners loose on dustbowls. Who have their pitches "doctored", as portions of the Australian media might claim. Are they not banking on their home bowling average as well?

Not quite. Since 2016 - a period in which India have toured West Indies, Sri Lanka, South Africa, England and Australia - their away bowling average is actually slightly better than their home bowling average. They are the only team of the top nine for whom this is even close to being true.

Spinners, of course, have been a part of India's bowling success abroad. In R Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja, they have slow bowlers who can be a force on virtually any wearing surface, in the back end of Tests. India's spinners (including part-timers) have been better in away conditions than spinners from any other nation.

But here is something truly surprising: over this period India have also had the best touring fast bowlers in the world. Which means that if you are hosting India, your batsmen are likely to face the most testing spin and pace bowling that any visiting side can produce.

As the graph above shows, South Africa are unsurprisingly not far off India's pace on the seam-bowling front. But since the arrival of Keshav Maharaj, they have a decent spin-bowling record overseas as well.

No one matches up to South Africa's quicks at home, but overseas their best bowler is left-arm spinner Keshav Maharaj (third from right) AFP/Getty Images

Where South Africa's quicks truly shine, though, is at home. In recent years, du Plessis and South Africa have been unapologetic about having their pitches emphatically suit their quicks. On top of which they have a rock-star pace attack, and arguably the best fast bowler on the planet in Kagiso Rabada.

In their own country, South Africa's quicks average a monstrous 20.25 in this period. This is way better, for instance, than the India spinners' average of 25.74 at home. According to these numbers, there is no greater batting challenge in world cricket than facing South Africa's quicks in their conditions.

(The graph above also reveals plenty about the tactics that teams other than South Africa and India employ in home series. The West Indies fast bowlers, for example, have been almost as fearsome as South Africa's during this period. New Zealand and - to a lesser extent - Australia are also heavily dependant on their quicks at home, while Sri Lanka and Bangladesh bank on spin almost to the total exclusion of seam bowling. Only India and Pakistan have maintained both spin- and seam-bowling averages under 30 at home. The excellent returns of India's fast bowlers at home further undermines the pitch-doctoring narrative.)

ALSO READ: South Africa thrive on pace, spicy pitches and increased depth

Having now established that South Africa are the best attack at home, and India the best away, it is worth working out how individual bowlers contribute to these two teams' overall figures. The breakdown for home matches reveals that South Africa's main quicks are all more dominant at home than India's bowlers are at home (the retired Morne Morkel's figures are not featured here). Incredibly, Steyn is the worst of South Africa's front-line fast bowlers at home, with an average of 20.87.

Abroad, meanwhile, India's bowlers dominate the top of the table. Jasprit Bumrah - who is yet to play a Test at home - leads the way for India, with his 49 wickets coming at a stunning 21.9. The formerly maligned Ishant Sharma and the ever-menacing Mohammed Shami have excellent figures during this period as well.

There is a minor surprise on the South Africa side, which is that Maharaj has been their best bowler away from home. There is also something revealing about his presence on this list, though. He is South Africa's only established spin bowler at present. As Steyn - who is one of the greatest away bowlers of all time - has now entered the twilight of his career, and has been unable to play many away Tests due to injury in any case, South Africa could do with another competent spinner to support the developing Maharaj on tours abroad.

In contrast, look at the India names on that list - Shami, Bumrah, Ashwin and Jadeja - all outstanding bowlers, each of them posing a different threat, while workhorses such as Ishant also prosper. South Africa are ruthless at home, but few attacks in history have been as versatile as India's current bunch. And that, Mr Shastri, is at least a little more impressive than merely being India's best seam attack, even by a mile.

Across all formats? No

Tests - perhaps yes, especially with Kuldeep gradually settling into a lead role away from home

ODIs - Slightly behind Australia's full strength attack, Bhuvi continues to be our main ODI pacer FFS. 

T20s - We are not even the top 3 bowling side

In LOIs, bowling attack is made to look weaker by our very poor fielding.