Rishabh Pant performance watch thread

tweaker

On 12/10/2018 at 11:07 AM, Cricketics said:

Pant was average in this game even though he got world record.

He needs to work on his batting and curb his enthusiasm a bit while batting. He could have put India in a better positon with the bat had he not thrown it away in the 2nd position. 

He is improving as a keeper but still not there. Better time to judge him at the end of the tour.

Do not understand your criticism on this match .

He was the second highest scorer and was the last man out when shami came in. 

There is a real chance that opposition bowlers may try to injure Bhumra & Shami to nullify their threat. 

He had to throw his bat at any anything at that point . Also declaration was coming at any time  at that point. 

About improvement - yes . No one denies that. He is work in progress.

He is a "keeper" literally and figuratively :)  Amazing demeanour that is required to keep the energy going. His technique is surprisingly very good. Especially defense. There is no lunge against spinners that we see from some of the "other keepers".  He got starts almost in every single innings. Most of the time he got out while playing ultra aggressive shots.

Edited by vvvslaxman

Boxing Day Test: Rishabh Pant breaks Indian wicket-keeping record in Australia

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.indiatoday.in/amp/sports/cricket/story/boxing-day-test-rishabh-pant-breaks-indian-wicket-keeping-record-in-australia-1419795-2018-12-30

Pant took his 19th catch of the series when he successfully grabbed an under edge to dismiss Australia captain Tim Paine in the third session at the MCG on Saturday. Notably, Kirmani had taken 19 catches in a Test series against Pakistan in 1979-80 while Tamhane had achieved the feat against Pakistan way back in 1954-55.

While Pant has achieved the feat in just three Test matches in the ongoing series, Kirmani needed six and Tamhane, seven

The Aussie commentators were lauding pant in the post game interview. They love him. Very fun and easy guy to root for. He has had some hiccups while keeping against spinners but against pacers he has improved leaps and bounds. He needs better temperment while batting but it's good to see that he wasn't really troubled at all in any of the innings so far in 3 tests. I probably only saw two-three balls that beat the bat otherwise he was compact. A little bit of temperment and a little bit of support from the other end and he would have scored a lot more runs.

3 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

The Aussie commentators were lauding pant in the post game interview. They love him. Very fun and easy guy to root for. He has had some hiccups while keeping against spinners but against pacers he has improved leaps and bounds. He needs better temperment while batting but it's good to see that he wasn't really troubled at all in any of the innings so far in 3 tests. I probably only saw two-three balls that beat the bat otherwise he was compact. A little bit of temperment and a little bit of support from the other end and he would have scored a lot more runs.

I also like the fact he is assertive and confident about DRS calls unlike meek Saha. 

Let me put this way. He is way better Pappu patel. Pretty much any keeper in India would have gone through some tough times in England, Australia where balls tend to be flying in all directions. Good thing is he manages to keep himself energized.  I like his attitude. He is such a valuable asset. If Instagram boy also shows some attitude alongwith jaddu we will have a team of focused individuals who can create wins in more places.

1 hour ago, beetle said:

Boxing Day Test: Rishabh Pant breaks Indian wicket-keeping record in Australia

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.indiatoday.in/amp/sports/cricket/story/boxing-day-test-rishabh-pant-breaks-indian-wicket-keeping-record-in-australia-1419795-2018-12-30

Pant took his 19th catch of the series when he successfully grabbed an under edge to dismiss Australia captain Tim Paine in the third session at the MCG on Saturday. Notably, Kirmani had taken 19 catches in a Test series against Pakistan in 1979-80 while Tamhane had achieved the feat against Pakistan way back in 1954-55.

While Pant has achieved the feat in just three Test matches in the ongoing series, Kirmani needed six and Tamhane, seven

Well done to Pant, but credit also needs to be given to pace bowlers to be able to find edges of the bat. 

1 hour ago, prudent_kreeda said:

Do not understand your criticism on this match .

He was the second highest scorer and was the last man out when shami came in. 

There is a real chance that opposition bowlers may try to injure Bhumra & Shami to nullify their threat. 

He had to throw his bat at any anything at that point . Also declaration was coming at any time  at that point. 

About improvement - yes . No one denies that. He is work in progress.

He is my fav youngster after Gill. I want him to improve. I got tired of asking for his selection. I just want him to improve and continue to be part of the team. I just pointed out his weakness. We must if we want them to prove. He is a gun player otherwise and gun talent.

2 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

He is my fav youngster after Gill. I want him to improve. I got tired of asking for his selection. I just want him to improve and continue to be part of the team. I just pointed out his weakness. We must if we want them to prove. He is a gun player otherwise and gun talent.

That's why i wrote -  .... on this match . For 2nd innings batting here he does not deserve to be criticised. 

11 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Same though here ! I’m really excited for the first time since sehwag stopped playing.

i would play Pant as an opener

7 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Fine I understand but my post you quoted is for an older test match lol, thats why I am surprised.

Ooops ! Did not check the date . Sorry.

However i was disappointed that he did not grab his chances in WI one day series with both hands. 

That would have put the final nail on 38 yr old Unkil forever and made india a better team in one dayers too.

Edited by prudent_kreeda

Real progression in his batting this test.  Made me so happy

No ugly hoicks.  Bit more selective but still positve but with better balance.  Hitting and playing with straight bat.  Gorgeous staright 6 of Hazlewood as example.  Unlike before were every other ball ungly hoick. 

Developing big time.  Glove work not te best but improved as well.  Plus mouthy energetic keeper, just what Kohli wants and bowlers want

Credit to Shastri in his improvements:phehe: