URI

Laaloo

43 minutes ago, gattaca said:

In 60s people just came out of British rule all sub continent countries. Religion didn't had much role before. This movie doesn't brainwash. This movie is not bhadkau at least it will help more people join army.

People in India don’t give a flying crap about their army. A nation can only be at peace when it is defended by brave men willing to die for those rights you take for granted. Unfortunately, some people cannot get this simple concept drilled into their cranium. 

9 hours ago, gattaca said:

In 60s people just came out of British rule all sub continent countries. Religion didn't had much role before. This movie doesn't brainwash. This movie is not bhadkau at least it will help more people join army.

:facepalm:

We don't care for more people joining the army. For one, India has the 2nd largest active military in the world and 4th largest semi-professional military ( reserves and paramilitary). All this, despite there being no conscription. Its not exactly we need to boost our military enrollment, though @Stradlater with his military links can correct me. 

Secondly, modern warfare is moving fast beyond humans conducting warfare. The future is drones, cyber-warfare, etc. All where money, research, equipment and training are king, not raw number of bipeds. 

9 hours ago, FischerTal said:

People in India don’t give a flying crap about their army. A nation can only be at peace when it is defended by brave men willing to die for those rights you take for granted. Unfortunately, some people cannot get this simple concept drilled into their cranium. 

Actually no. Nations are not at peace because there are brave men defending them. Israel has the bravest men & women defending them, who've done a good job of defending it, but the nation is not at peace for any meaningful stretch of time. Nations are at peace, in the last 200-odd years, with the ability of its diplomats to maintain a state of peace- via friendly and non-friendly gestures, towards its would-be threats. 

1 hour ago, Muloghonto said:

We don't care for more people joining the army. For one, India has the 2nd largest active military in the world and 4th largest semi-professional military ( reserves and paramilitary). All this, despite there being no conscription. Its not exactly we need to boost our military enrollment, though @Stradlater with his military links can correct me. 

Secondly, modern warfare is moving fast beyond humans conducting warfare. The future is drones, cyber-warfare, etc. All where money, research, equipment and training are king, not raw number of bipeds. 

Have you seen US army ? How their enrollment and marketing is ? I haven’t yet seen anything like that from Indian army. My point being there needs to be some kind of marketing. When you are at the top do you stop marketing ? Does Apple stop marketing ? Think like a company. US army does that too.

Just now, gattaca said:

Have you seen US army ? How their enrollment and marketing is ? I haven’t yet seen anything like that from Indian army. My point being there needs to be some kind of marketing. When you are at the top do you stop marketing ? Does Apple stop marketing ? Think like a company. US army does that too.

We don't need it. Who cares what the US army does. Their enrollment #s are different, due to different socio-economic situations. North Americans have a far more secure sense of the world and less inclination towards the military, primarily because North America is in one of those unique geo-political scenarios where their land borders are militaristically extremely secure and their two greatest allies - named Pacific and atlantic, keep all shenanigans few and far between or seen from a mile away. They don't face the same ' our neighbors are trying to sneak in terrorists all the time, waiting for us to snooze and grab our land' etc. stuff. 

Plus they had the whole ' make love not peace' from the Vietnam era, which still has a lot of cultural appeal. Different societies, different needs. India is in a far more dangerous neighborhood and as such, our bland old news is enough to inspire plenty towards desh-bhakti. 

I highly bout most Indian soldiers signed up due to movies or campaigns in the first place. All numbers suggest, the only problem facing Indian military is high end talent recruitment for the logistical/technical side of things, which is a factor of paygrade, not desh-bhakti.

You are not going to get dude with inclination and aptitude for engineering to fix or improve Indian hardware sitting in a base (the corporal or the captain of 5th engineers corps for eg) if he can make 10x in the US and 3x in the private sector. That is where we should be focussing on, not increasing our recruitment drive. 

3 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

Actually no. Nations are not at peace because there are brave men defending them. Israel has the bravest men & women defending them, who've done a good job of defending it, but the nation is not at peace for any meaningful stretch of time. Nations are at peace, in the last 200-odd years, with the ability of its diplomats to maintain a state of peace- via friendly and non-friendly gestures, towards its would-be threats. 

Indian diplomats gave back Haji Pir Pass in Tashkent  after it was painstakingly captured by Major Ranjit Singh Dayal and his boys. Today, Haji Pir Pass looks over most strategic features on the LoC from where Pakistani send their jihadis into JK from PoK. 

Indian diplomats, led by ex-Foreign Secretary Shyam Saran wanted to withdraw troops from Siachen as a Confidence Building Measure, completely sidelining the Army leadership which was totally against the move. It was only after NSA MK Narayanan vehemently opposed this deal that the UPA 1 government was forced to abandon this illogical plan. 

Diplomats dont send their own boys to war and thats precisely why they should not be given the responsibility of negotiating such delicate matters by themselves. Whatever peace India does enjoy is because of the men who stay alert at the borders, not some lallu panju sitting in Delhi who hasn't even made the slightest effort to wander outside of South Block. 

Edited by FischerTal

19 minutes ago, FischerTal said:

Indian diplomats gave back Haji Pir Pass in Tashkent  after it was painstakingly captured by Major Ranjit Singh Dayal and his boys. Today, Haji Pir Pass looks over most strategic features on the LoC from where Pakistani send their jihadis into JK from PoK. 

Indian diplomats, led by ex-Foreign Secretary Shyam Saran wanted to withdraw troops from Siachen as a Confidence Building Measure, completely sidelining the Army leadership which was totally against the move. It was only after NSA MK Narayanan vehemently opposed this deal that the UPA 1 government was forced to abandon this illogical plan. 

Diplomats dont send their own boys to war and thats precisely why they should not be given the responsibility of negotiating such delicate matters by themselves. Whatever peace India does enjoy is because of the men who stay alert at the borders, not some lallu panju sitting in Delhi who hasn't even made the slightest effort to wander outside of South Block. 

Yeah but this only underscores my point that the security of a nation is detremined by the lallu-panjus sitting in Delhi. The military doesn't create security, they win wars and neutralize security threats- which by definition is being not secure. I am sure none of us would like the scenario of our jawaans winning 100 out of 100 encounter scenarios over terrorists taking hostages and crap, over our politicians doing their jobs and making sure the diplomatic consequences to sponsoring terrorism are heavier. 

3 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

Instead we should concentrate on modernizing our ancient military infrastructure.

We already have way too many soldiers. 

Quality>Quantity

41 minutes ago, Stradlater said:

Instead we should concentrate on modernizing our ancient military infrastructure.

We already have way too many soldiers. 

Quality>Quantity

Do you know anything about the light tank program some of my army buds keep talking about ? Apparently we don't want very many arjuns or T-90s moving forward coz we want light tanks that can handle the himalayas better ?

I totally agree with all the liberal comments here. 

But sorry watched it twice in theater:finger:. Loved it. Shouted slogans as well. Makes me proud.

I have also seen and tolerated Uri, Pathankot, Amarnath Yatri bus, school buses, and countless attacks on army installations not just by terrorist but also by my Indian liberal lobby. The movie also is a tribute to army's sacrifice. This does a good for PR. It is an indirect way of showing appreciation just like how liberals show their appreciation to indian state and indian army by watching aman ki nirasha, kiss pa%i ass type of movies that earn 500Crs while my army men die.

I support such movies if they are close to the truth.

The guys who do this are not supposed to talk about it in public. Everyone wants their achievement to be known even if their faces are not shown. 

Besides,in a democracy,people should know . If something is not confidential and not a danger to functioning of the forces,then it should be open.

URI.. watched it over the weekend.. loved it. 

This was a total Modi movie.. felt like he was one of the producers but I dont mind it. It is still a better movie to watch than 90% of other movies. After that movie, i watched some videos on youtube where Soldier's widow/kids/parents come to funeral.. we been seeing those so many times that it has became norm.. but family, who lost their only son or father or husband, are ruined for life. If Bajrangi Bhaijaan is one side of the story then this is also reality where we been continuously under attack. Good to watch......  

On the movie - couple of scenes were so damn powerful.. hats off to Vicky Kaushal and that little girl to pull off one of those scenes. Music was amazing also.. I wish i can find out how much of the  movie was truth.. 

--- Hows the josh???

Really avg "film" overall, and this is from someone who watches a lot of war movies, mostly Hollywood. 

The intended hero of the film is Doval played by Paresh Rawal. It looks ridiculous how the army ends up relying on basic drone type advice from a national security advisor. The antics such as the phone look childish as well. There seemed some other mistakes/liberties as well. 

I like Bollywood much more than earlier since there's a bigger range of topics and some quality available such as masaan & talwar, enjoy the mass entertainers such as 3 idiots.

The area of war/combat films still got some way to go. I would want more to be made just so the cost of a military career it brings to the families is mentioned more often, which this film does well. 

Edited by Clarke

On 1/29/2019 at 10:49 AM, veer said:

On the movie - couple of scenes were so damn powerful.. hats off to Vicky Kaushal and that little girl to pull off one of those scenes. Music was amazing also.. I wish i can find out how much of the  movie was truth.. 

--- Hows the josh???

I heard, that it was lot easier than what was shown in the movie except lot of complicated things that were not shown at all. They were in and out. PakMil had absolutely no clue and there were no radars involved.

btw i watched the movie 4 times.