This series has thrown some huge red flags for the Indian team.

maniac

3 minutes ago, sandeep said:

You can pimp for Gill as much as you want, but the team balance dictates he can't be in our optimal XI.  We need Pandya and Kedar for their bowling and batting, so that rules out 6 & 7.  We need to keep Karthik in there because Dhoni's age, back, and fitness question marks mean our 2nd wicket-keeper should be ready to go at a moment's notice.  Plus Nidahas Karthik has shown enough to deserve a bit of a proper run.  Gill can't keep or give you Kedar type overs.  End of story.  

I have backed Karthik’s selection as part of squad for a while so I trust him more than anyone.

Check my other post to maniac where I am giving him 3 options there is a way to play both Jadhav and Karthik with Pandua and Dhoni at 4. 

8 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

I have backed Karthik’s selection as part of squad for a while so I trust him more than anyone.

Check my other post to maniac where I am giving him 3 options there is a way to play both Jadhav and Karthik with Pandua and Dhoni at 4. 

Based on the most practical and realistic assumptions, almost 13 of the 15 spots for the squad are confirmed. There's one spot, maybe two left to fill.. I don't see how both Pant and Gill can make it.

Confirmed WC spot : Rohit, Dhawan, Kohli, Dhoni, Jadhav,  ___,  Pandya, Bhuvi, Kuldeep, Chahal, Bumrah   - That's 10 of the starting 11.

Likely to be included :  DK, Jadeja, Shami

That's 13 out of 15 spots.

Contenders for remaining spots - Pant, Rayudu, Gill, Shankar, Khaleel, Siraj

Requirement from remaining spots : No.6 bat, backup keeper, additional fast bowler.

If DK plays as the first choice No.6, Pant might be picked as his back-up.. which leaves only one spot open for the fourth quick bowler.. if we decide to go just with three quicks, then Gill / Shankar have an outside chance if they do well in NZ

I won't blame Siraj for that matter,

continuously been chosen for wrong format,if he has done well in 4 day matches only a fool(msk) will give him debut in lois 

Khaleel,i will quote Vishal bhai here,he is a cheat:laugh:,he was selected to provide some variety to the attack and was a genuine pacer to begin with,did well in his debut series bowled at pace,and was infact the second fastest bowler in Asia cup by bowling in excess of 145k

His regression started at a rapid pace since then,quite puzzling though

Selectors didn't either groom pacers other than kaul,shardul etc who were never good

9 hours ago, flamy said:

Yes, that was surprising. But, I must truly :hatsoff: for his hard running between the wickets. EVen Langer was saying, at 37, if he can do that, and keep, in 40 degrees heat, that is the level of fitness the whole world should aspire to.

With cooler conditions in England, I'm hoping this part of his game at least won't be an issue.

Kohli seems adamant to play him at 5.

Mcg max was 27 degrees, not 40

10 hours ago, maniac said:

Our back up pool of seamers are just not good enough at this point of time be it Siraj or Khaleel. Shankar got away with it yesterday but it is a joke if he plays as the full time 3rd seamer.

The right guy is rajpoot....

Shankar shud only be considered as a backup to kedhar....i wnt trust him even as 5th bowler 

We can’t play our top 2 LOI bowlers in the same X1 -Kulcha because it ruins the balance of the side.

Dont have to in every game and shami gives us that option and when hardik comes back we can play both spinners 

Shikhar Dhawan’s form. We are over reliant on top 3 and we can’t have one of them look out of sorts.

Ppl said same about his form after WI odi series, played beautifully in t20

The guy was woefully out of form before 2015Wc and wasnt even in team before 2017Ct and was our best batsman so lets not worry about him. 

10 hours ago, flamy said:

I'm counting on NZ to be a wake-up call, let's see.

BTW, will they play Rahul if Dhawan loses form? I'm not sure about that. Plus, I think Dhawan will find his form. He might have more fun in NZ.

Ideally the reserve batsmen to be picked in the 15 for WC , should be one who can bat either as an opening batsman or in the middle order . 

From that perspective - KL , Mayank , Gill & Shaw fit in. 

Looking at current form KL is a BIG NO plus  his experiment as MO batsmen was aborted . So  if there is no dramatic improvement , he will be out. 

Shaw has not been selected so far in any of the one day teams , may be its too less time now .

So at current form only Mayank & Gill should be front runners . Mayank was the first choice but got injured . 

If Gill succeeds in NZ  , he will be the front runner for that reserve batsman spot.

We may get the clue when they select indian team for AUs series in India . If Mayank is considered in the team , he may come into the fray.

Pandya's exclusion has fecked our selection badly ..kulcha are our best wicket taking option in lois when they bowl in tandem especially in the absence of bumrah , jadeja is accommodated just for maintaining the balance of the side even though its crystal clear he's a useless odi player .

Now we will be in nzl without bumrah and pandya (2 of our valuable odi players ) and we'll have to accomodate jadeja in place of kulcha,it'll be a massacre !

Some of the problem will continue even after WC with the assumption most of the oldies will be discarded (I hope selectors will think of building a new team for next big ICC event ) .

1. The opening slot - should not be an issue even in the absence /loss of form of current players.

2. Middle order mess will also get sorterd out. 

3. WK +agressive batsman spot - should fall in place. 

Issues which will linger on 

1. A death bowling back up option for Bhuvi .

2. 6th bowling option  

AND  to some extent

3. a reliable third pace bowler 

4. third wrist spinning back up option.

Post WC, focus of TM should be  to identify best fit players for these slots and maximum experiment should happen for these slots .

On 1/19/2019 at 12:43 AM, Cricketics said:

One positive is that Rayudu was dropped so we know he isn’t the ideal guy Kohli/Shastri want.

Also with just few months away from world cup if selectors want Gill in squad, means they want to see if he can do well and make it to the team for the world cup. They have considered that at least. 

What this means is now that the onus is purely on Kohli and Shastri to play Gill in the middle order right from game 1 in NZ. If they do not use Gill from game 1, then we can’t blame selectors but should actually blame Kohli/Shastri only.

In all seriousness, I think Dhoni among runs is a good sign even with all poor strike rate. I think it augurs at least somewhat hope. If Gill can just take slot 4 or 5, it will be ideal. A strong Dhoni-Gill pairing at 4/5 with pair of Pandya/Jadhav/Karthik as finishers isn’t a bad line up.

What strong partnership man don't you see the more dhoni stays chances of winning inning become less. You saw how we chased in 230 or one before that. If it was not for Karthik and Jadhav,dhoni would have screwd it up. He is ok in those low chases but on NZ and eng ground where 320 scores are quite normal he ll screw more matches or if bat first we can see Amla like inning which dhoni is playing sinc wc15.

Edited by bahubali

This series did not help answer the usual questions known about this team.

1. Even with one of the top 3 hitting a 100, batting unit still doesn’t give the confidence it can chase 300+ vs good bowling sides

2. No firepower in middyorder to hit 90-100 in last 10 overs

2. Bhuvi on flat pitches will continue to be a concern

3. Fielding isn’t the strongest suit with no standout fielder unless Jadeja plays. 

This team doesn’t have the potential WC Champions feel yet, especially playing in England. 

On 1/19/2019 at 2:42 AM, bowl_out said:

Based on the most practical and realistic assumptions, almost 13 of the 15 spots for the squad are confirmed. There's one spot, maybe two left to fill.. I don't see how both Pant and Gill can make it.

Confirmed WC spot : Rohit, Dhawan, Kohli, Dhoni, Jadhav,  ___,  Pandya, Bhuvi, Kuldeep, Chahal, Bumrah   - That's 10 of the starting 11.

Likely to be included :  DK, Jadeja, Shami

That's 13 out of 15 spots.

Contenders for remaining spots - Pant, Rayudu, Gill, Shankar, Khaleel, Siraj

Requirement from remaining spots : No.6 bat, backup keeper, additional fast bowler.

If DK plays as the first choice No.6, Pant might be picked as his back-up.. which leaves only one spot open for the fourth quick bowler.. if we decide to go just with three quicks, then Gill / Shankar have an outside chance if they do well in NZ

Good analysis.I don't think we need backup keeper with DK in squad.But Pant should take no 6 spot purely on batting merit.Instead of additional fast bowler,pick one of Rahul/Shaw/Gill as backup opener. Shankar,Khaleel & Siraj have not impressed me.

19 hours ago, diehardpacer said:

Good analysis.I don't think we need backup keeper with DK in squad.But Pant should take no 6 spot purely on batting merit.Instead of additional fast bowler,pick one of Rahul/Shaw/Gill as backup opener. Shankar,Khaleel & Siraj have not impressed me.

Yes, that is why the NZ tour is important.. Rahul might not make it given his poor form and the BCCI disciplinary action..

Shaw doesn't seem to have recovered from his injury.. he is not featuring even in A tours.. he might have just missed the bus for the WC

Between Khaleel, Siraj, Gill, Shankar, whoever impresses in NZ and offers flexibility and variety might get into the WC squad.

Pant should have at least been in the squad to NZ... Still not late.. Niggle Rayudu out and get Pant in.