Who can stop Smith?

vvvslaxman

How can a batsman who looks so ugly to watch can be so effective. Sometimes I feel like he has gotten in to a odd position with a backlift from the slip direction, but the bat is hitting the ball right on. I guess I have seen some decent players who looked ugly to watch like Chanderpaul, Miandad, etc, but none of them are in the same class as this guy. If this is all hand-eye coordination, then he has to slow down in about 5 years from now. However if he gets his average to 65 soon, then at worst it will be late 50s. And Aussies do not hang around. If he feels he is not playing in peak form for a while, he will retire.

I think one of the reasons behind SRT's longevity was his copybook technique. So even though his hand-eye coordination slowed he still had a good run once his tennis elbow healed from mid 2007 - mid 2011. I just wished he reitred after the England or Aussie tour that followed WC. But all Indian players are full of themselves and maharathis do not retire until they embarrass themselves.

Edited by Audiophile
20 minutes ago, Audiophile said:

How can a batsman who looks so ugly to watch can be so effective. Sometimes I feel like he has gotten in to a odd position with a backlift from the slip direction, but the bat is hitting the ball right on. I guess I have seen some decent players who looked ugly to watch like Chanderpaul, Miandad, etc, but none of them are in the same class as this guy. If this is all hand-eye coordination, then he has to slow down in about 5 years from now. However if he gets his average to 65 soon, then at worst it will be late 50s. And Aussies do not hang around. If he feels he is not playing in peak form for a while, he will retire.

I think one of the reasons behind SRT's longevity was his copybook technique. So even though his hand-eye coordination slowed he still had a good run once his tennis elbow healed from mid 2007 - mid 2011. I just wished he reitred after the England or Aussie tour that followed WC. But all Indian players are full of themselves and maharathis do not retire until they embarrass themselves.

bradman was also unorthodox for his time. such players turn their apparent weaknesses into strengths. smith has exceptional hand-eye coordination but also an effective (albeit ungainly) technique. seems to me his career avg would be around 59-61 at retirement.

7 hours ago, Audiophile said:

Myth. Ponting was crap for years before he retired. 

8 hours ago, Vijy said:

bradman was also unorthodox for his time. such players turn their apparent weaknesses into strengths. smith has exceptional hand-eye coordination but also an effective (albeit ungainly) technique. seems to me his career avg would be around 59-61 at retirement.

55-56 max

I don't think any bowler is yet to figure him out.He is just that good, I have not seen Sobers and Bradman.There is sense of inevitability of him making a big score.He is making it look ridiculously easy .He has succeeded every where against all types of bowlers.

He is just amazing.Who knows where he will stop.